SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Parasitic Current Measurements Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-23, 08:22 AM
Tanker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Someone028
That sounds interesting. I checked their website and found the info below that states that remote starting won't recharge your battery. Is there some other info that I've missed? Thanks.
-

https://www.compustar.com/blog/winter-car-battery-failure

2. Monitor Your Battery with Drone Mobile (as one word)

Did you know all 2-way Compustar systems now include a Drone X1 module? When you activate Battery Monitoring Alerts, Drone Mobile will monitor your battery’s voltage and send you a push notification or a text message if your vehicle’s battery dips below 11.7 volts.

3. Remote Start Your Engine

While remote starting won’t recharge your battery, it will help with some of the other issues that lead to battery failure. Remote starting and letting your engine idle for just a few minutes will warm up the fluids that may have thickened in the cold.
Not the best way of charging a battery forsure, but it does charge the battery. You can adjust run time also.
Old 10-29-23, 09:32 AM
tmakogon
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven01750
The biggest issue in electronics is Electrolytic Capacitors. They just naturally break down over time. On my 97 LS400, I literally had to remove the ECM and replace ALL of the capacitors on the board because they changed value enough to cause the car to run "Off" lets just say. That included the transmission. Once I replaced them all with well documented and researched components, she ran like a champ again. No issues since.
This info deserves its own thread here. I would appreciate if you shared capacitor ratings with relevant links, and (optionally) any qualified electronics shops.

On the drain subject - the doors / trunk and the ECU which I believe is on the radio circuit are probably listening for the remote unlock / panic signal. At the airport, rather than removing individual fuses then fumble reinserting them with correct ratings in the right sockets, just remove the + cable from battery. You will need to unlock the car with the key when you return.
Old 10-29-23, 05:36 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by tmakogon
This info deserves its own thread here. I would appreciate if you shared capacitor ratings with relevant links, and (optionally) any qualified electronics shops.

On the drain subject - the doors / trunk and the ECU which I believe is on the radio circuit are probably listening for the remote unlock / panic signal. At the airport, rather than removing individual fuses then fumble reinserting them with correct ratings in the right sockets, just remove the + cable from battery. You will need to unlock the car with the key when you return.
Always disconnect the NEG cable. If you disconnect the POS and accidentally touch any chassis part, you will fry your electronic components .
The following users liked this post:
joemg (10-30-23)
Old 10-30-23, 09:36 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Always disconnect the NEG cable. If you disconnect the POS and accidentally touch any chassis part, you will fry your electronic components .
+1 for this.

Also,
I recentaly picked up an Antigravity Battery for my Miata (they basically run on tiny lawn mower/powersport batteries). They're cost prohibitive for real cars, but they sell this bluetooth battery tracker for any batteries. (note: there's 2 versions, 1 for lithium and 1 for lead/acid)
(Miata Battery: https://fab9tuning.com/antigravity-a...thium-battery/)

Battery Trackers:
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...acker-lithium/
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...ker-lead-acid/

It has an app and sends alerts, etc. They also mention it has a negligible current draw of 1mW. I have it for the Miata because I don't drive that as much as the SC.

If you have money to burn, for like $1000 (lol) you can get a lithium battery big enough for our cars and their batteries have a feature where when the it gets below a certain threshhold, it cuts all the current draw and keeps enough juice in the battery to start the car next time you get in it. There's a button on the top you press and it turns the battery back "on." (No damage to the battery because it's not empty like when it goes dead)
https://antigravitybatteries.com/restart-technology/

Last edited by joemg; 10-30-23 at 09:41 AM.