SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2006 is better than 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 05:51 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
It’s simple. When you in D, it automatically goes to the gears according to the SC speed. When you in S mode, it’s manual transmission. You will manually shift it thru the gears 1-6 for an 06+ SC. Like I said, I have never shifted to S mode while the car in motion but I believe it will go to 4.
Not sure if there is a misunderstanding, but the S mode is not like manual. If you have it in 4 it will do nothing more than not allow the transmission to up shift past the fourth gear. You do not have to down shift or do anything else other than drive. It will down shift to first at a stop and then up shift normally through the fourth gear. Or third in 3 or second in 2 etc. I know that at a stop if I put the trans in S mode it shows 4 even at a stop. However, it is in first gear. I use mine all the time here in the mountains of Virginia going down the steep grades we have here. I have never tried to put it into S going 70 so I do not know what gear it would show on the dash. At all the speeds I have ever put it into S (including stopped) it always reads 4 on the dash. I can down shift from there if I choose.
Old 05-06-21, 06:27 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts

The missunderstanding is this:

1) I am in D. I assume that if I drive at, let us say, 60 mph, steadily, then it will shift all the way to 6 and stay there..

2) If I now, just move the shift lever to the left, into S, WITHOUT PRESSING IT FORWARD OR BACK. It should indicate the gear I am in on the display. It indicates that I am in 5. Why am I not in 6!!

3) If I now press the lever forward, toward the "Plus" it will indicate that it has shifted to 6 which leads me to believe that I was in 5 just as it indicated. Why wasnt I in 6 at cruise speed?

I dont see why this is so hard to understand unless others gear shift levers work otherwise?
Old 05-06-21, 06:41 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by jimisbell
The missunderstanding is this:

1) I am in D. I assume that if I drive at, let us say, 60 mph, steadily, then it will shift all the way to 6 and stay there..

2) If I now, just move the shift lever to the left, into S, WITHOUT PRESSING IT FORWARD OR BACK. It should indicate the gear I am in on the display. It indicates that I am in 5. Why am I not in 6!!

3) If I now press the lever forward, toward the "Plus" it will indicate that it has shifted to 6 which leads me to believe that I was in 5 just as it indicated. Why wasnt I in 6 at cruise speed?

I dont see why this is so hard to understand unless others gear shift levers work otherwise?
All I can tell you is that when I am in sixth gear and I put it into S it says 4 on the dash. I have never tried it above about 50 MPH so I can't comment about what gear it will be in at 60. Also, when I am going down a hill and you put the brake on it automatically down shifts for you. It always down shifts into 4 no matter the speed I am going. I know this because I have put it into S after the down shift and there is never a change in RPM. I don't think it is designed to show you the gear you are currently in when you put it into S. It sounds like it always picks a lower gear depending on the speed you are going at the time you shift to S.
Old 05-06-21, 12:20 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

The speed of the car does not determine the gear. The gear is determined by the load on the engine.
I just went out and experimented and found that when I am in "D" and move the lever to "S" while cruising effertlessly, the transmission DOES downshift (watched the tach) to 5 and that is what it displays. But I dont kinow why it does that because I can tap the gear shift to up shift and it DOES up shift to 6. So "D" is doing what it should, its the downshift to 5 when changing from "D" to "S" that is unexplainable.

On a side note. Someone said that the 2006 SC got a "New" 6 speed transmission. It wasnt "New", the LS430 had it in 2004 and maybe earlier.
The following users liked this post:
Nusbaum (02-10-22)
Old 05-06-21, 12:38 PM
iolmaster
Racer

I am sure they just meant new to the SC. Most here know the 6 speed was around before 2006.
corri (03-06-22)
Old 05-06-21, 03:49 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

I think most of the changes have been covered, but here's a quick list off the top of my head:

1) "Improved" suspension, I think this was just different shocks/springs (this addressed people's concerns with comfort, I can't recall if they ditched the run-flat tires at that point too)
2) 6spd transmission made by Aisin (This resulted in better fuel economy)
3) higher rear differential drive ratio (the specific ratios are on here somewhere, I probably posted them in my LSD thread). This resulted in a slightly faster acceleration.
4) New front bumper/grill/headlights/taillights
5) newer stereo with bluetooth phonecalls (this started in 05 to be specific)
6) I believe there were some additional airbags, I forget which. I remember in 07 they added knee airbags, but i think they added something in 06 too.

Weird side note, 06 was the last year (and only year post-facelift) to have white-gold crystal paint. 07 brought about starfire pearl in its place.

Also, regarding the manual mode. My 6spd downshifts to 4th when entering sport mode. This makes logical sense, since you don't want to be in overdrive gears for optimal acceleration. You can shift back up into 5/6 if you want to cruise.

Last edited by joemg; 05-06-21 at 03:53 PM.
The Ikon (03-06-22)
Old 05-06-21, 05:55 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

The speed of the car does not determine the gear. The gear is determined by the load on the engine.
I just went out and experimented and found that when I am in "D" and move the lever to "S" while cruising effertlessly, the transmission DOES downshift (watched the tach) to 5 and that is what it displays. But I dont kinow why it does that because I can tap the gear shift to up shift and it DOES up shift to 6. So "D" is doing what it should, its the downshift to 5 when changing from "D" to "S" that is unexplainable.

On a side note. Someone said that the 2006 SC got a "New" 6 speed transmission. It wasnt "New", the LS430 had it in 2004 and maybe earlier.
OK, let’s digest.

From the my manual page 93, there is a table explains the shift positions and functions. This is basic, easy to understand.
From page 95,
- shift range changed AUTOMATICALLY to suit the vehicle speed and conditions. (e.g. If “4” is selected the shift range used is from 1 to 4). From this statement, I think S mode is purposely for you to drive downhill and uphill.
So, in the stiff downhill one should use S mode “2” to limit the transmission to second gear. There is also a table that shows the max speed restriction for downshifting in S mode.
The remain question is : In D mode does the transmission go to the 6th gear? From the * in the table pg 93, it says “always use the D position to improve fuel economy and quiet driving”, sounds like the trans does go to 6th gear. Then why it show “4” when you switch from D to S ?

Old 05-06-21, 06:31 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts

I was hoping someone would drive there 2006+ at 70mph and move the shifter to S today, then we would all know what gear it selects…geez guys, use the functions of the car the way it was designed.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-07-21 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-10-21, 06:20 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

In two weeks (I hope, its been dragging out to it seems like an eternity) I will take delivery of my "new" 2006 and will see what happens when shifting from D to S at 70mph. But I suspect it will be the same as on my LS-430 and it will downshift to 5. Confirmed by watching the Tach.
Old 05-11-21, 06:16 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 338 Posts

Jim

Very nice. She looks great for 170K on the clock.

Dennis
Old 05-11-21, 05:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
All I can tell you is that when I am in sixth gear and I put it into S it says 4 on the dash. I have never tried it above about 50 MPH so I can't comment about what gear it will be in at 60. Also, when I am going down a hill and you put the brake on it automatically down shifts for you. It always down shifts into 4 no matter the speed I am going. I know this because I have put it into S after the down shift and there is never a change in RPM. I don't think it is designed to show you the gear you are currently in when you put it into S. It sounds like it always picks a lower gear depending on the speed you are going at the time you shift to S.
iolmaster is correct…

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-11-21 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 06:12 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

I suspect that there is something else going on here, because I shifted from D to S at 60 mph and the car slowed down and showed a 5 and the tach dropped 200 rpm then I continued to downshift and the number went down as I shifted AND the car slowed down. I just did that an hour ago. If the number is not going down there is aproblem with the car because the car is slowing down and the number should be changing. It indicates the current gear, NOT the top gear available.
Old 05-11-21, 11:33 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

I used to use S mode as manual shift driving and always believe that (did not read owner manual). Shifted to S at the red light. The indicator showed 4. Down shift to 1 and waiting for green light. Shifted to 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, then 6. Down shifted to 5,4,3,2 to slow down then 1 to stop. Funny thing is, it worked.
Old 05-12-21, 05:22 AM
iolmaster
Racer

I suspect that there is something else going on here, because I shifted from D to S at 60 mph and the car slowed down and showed a 5 and the tach dropped 200 rpm then I continued to downshift and the number went down as I shifted AND the car slowed down. I just did that an hour ago. If the number is not going down there is aproblem with the car because the car is slowing down and the number should be changing. It indicates the current gear, NOT the top gear available.
Sorry, but that is just not correct. The number on the dash indicates the top gear that is available to the transmission not necessarily the gear you are in. You can drive all day in S with the 4 showing and stop and go as many times as you wish. It will shift down to 1 at a stop but it will still say 4.
Old 05-12-21, 04:26 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Sorry, but that is just not correct. The number on the dash indicates the top gear that is available to the transmission not necessarily the gear you are in. You can drive all day in S with the 4 showing and stop and go as many times as you wish. It will shift down to 1 at a stop but it will still say 4.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post11050119

Quick Reply: 2006 is better than 2005?