SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-03, 07:52 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Doc, I'd be a pleasure to buy my car from you . Those clowns just took my money and the car suddenly hadn't even arrived in LA yet. Still waiting man; supposedly this week. Oh, and the dealer 'invoice' put my trade-in's mileage at 900, when I told them it'd have 2,300 or so. With their apparent reputation, I'll make them change that to avoid giviing them an easy way out if they find a 'better' buyer.
Is there a way to find out where in the world is my stupid car? Maybe Lexus (800) national number? Just curious.

Good day guys.

JC
Old 10-01-03, 08:42 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

>Email doesn't just go to the dealer, it goes to Toyota USA.<

Hey ... I didn't know that - thanks for the information, Doc.
Old 10-02-03, 06:59 PM
FWCruiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 with door rattle

I had hoped the '04's would not have this problem, but sure enough, cranked up some ZZ Top this morning and there it was. Now I know what everybody's been talking about. Very irritating being so close to your left ear. Armed with a TSB number and part number shouldn't be a problem. Thanks all. David
Old 10-06-03, 06:30 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey buddy, I wish mine only rattled with ZZ Top cranked up! Mine rattles even at moderate volumes with the bass at '+3'. It even rattles with the AM talk radio, unless I turn the bass all the way down. This is ridiculous. Will call dealer to find out if the TSB has been incorporated in '04s, but I sincerely doubt it. I'm sad to say this, but at this point, even my P.O.S. corvette sounded better than this car, and both have the same setup: woofers in the doors, and medium range drivers in the rear, so I'm sure the kit is either not there, or wasn't installed right. The vette also had better treble, even without dedicated tweeters; I can't understand that. I'm not too disappointed at that, but am just making the point, since I was able to compare them 'back to back' with the same CD, and I'm obviously biased towards the SC. Unfortunately there's nothing like a trunk-fired subwoofer, so I knew all along a strong bass wasn't part of a convertible package. The sound system is fine to me; just want the rattle eliminated so at least I can enjoy a little bit of bass. Want to find out if my dealer has done this before, as I don't want other rattles to replace this one.

Good evening gentlemen.

JC
Old 10-06-03, 08:47 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I just had mine fixed with the kit. No buzzing so far. I went to 4 different dealers who said there was no TSB. Armed with the info on the particular post, I called Lexus of Colorado Springs. They installed the kit on both left and right side doors. This post should be put in the FAQ on the SC430. I mean the part of the thread that deals with the TSB and part numbers. It is very helpful to have that info when contacting your dealer.

Doc C
Old 10-06-03, 09:12 PM
JCtx
Racer

Default Hey Tsimo...

Hey Tsimo, a need a big favor. I checked the NHTSA website myself for the TSB NV008-03, and there's nothing. I checked under 2002, 2003, and 2004. There are 28 TSBs on '02s, 4 on '03s, and none on '04s.

I know this TSB exists because some of you already got the rattle fixed. I decided to print a copy myself as proof, and scan it to post it here as well. Well, to my surprise, there's nothing recorded there (the official website: www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/). It might be something other than a TSB, so a copy would be perfect. Hey, this should be posted over the FAQ post; '04s have this problem too.

Your help is appreciated.

JC
Old 10-07-03, 01:15 PM
dsimo
Driver

I got the TSB # from my repair invoice. My invoice states:

B DOOR PANEL NOISE - PREV CONCERN
CAUSE: FREE PLAY IN WOOD PORTION OF THE INNER DOOR TRIM PANEL

NV 3019 INSULATE DOOR TRIM WOOD ORNAMENT
686 WLEX 0.40

NV3019A INSULATE OTHER DOOR
686 WLEX 0.30

FC: 4444
PART#: 6778124130BO

PERFORMED TSB# NV008-03 TO ALLEVIATE VIBRATION.
Old 10-07-03, 07:54 PM
JCtx
Racer

Dealer found it; apparently the stupid website is not updated too often. Thanks a lot man.

The problem was Lexus was saying '04s were already fixed, but the TSB was issued 8/03, and my car was built 8/03 as well. The early '04s, as evidenced by the 100% affliction rate on this site, obviously didn't get the TSB incorporated in time, and I told the dealer that. Now Lexus is demanding pictures of the removed panels BEFORE ordering the stupid kit, like if it was fun to watch our brand-new cars taken apart like that. Or if like we're stupid enough not to recognize a rattle (and at low volume in my case). They can take all the pictures they want when they order the stupid kit and my car gets the panels removed ONCE. Every time I've taken my cars to service they come back with scratches on the wood, stains on the carpet, on the seat, or on the door armrests; there's always something, and do they think I'll put up with that TWICE? Plus the inconvenience of traveling 50 miles each way TWICE? Ah, and since it doesn't take more than one day, no loaner. I said what? Checked the service booklet, and yep, it's there. What the hell happened to Lexus the last 6 years? Geeeez. Time for the boxing gloves... again.

Later guys.
Old 10-08-03, 08:30 AM
robertbtx
Driver School Candidate

Hey ELP_JC: What dealer are you going to?
I live in Killeen and after several very bad experiences in Austin, I now drive 2 1/2 hours each way to San Antonio for service on my GS and RX. I'll never go back to the Austin dealer again - even to use the bathroom.

I've had nothing but great service and a good puchase experience in San Antonio.
Old 10-08-03, 09:00 AM
dsimo
Driver

I hope you guys inform Lexus corporate of this. Traveling 2.5 hours to another deal is entirely unacceptable. I sold my Audi because of issues I had with my two local dealers. Given Lexus' interest in customer service, I've got to believe they'd care to hear about this.
Old 10-09-03, 06:18 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Noise/rattle

Damn, I have the noise on the passenger side, but sounds as if it's the roof. It only does it going over bumps etc.

Haven't heard the wood rattle yet, but I'm sure it's there.

Same issue with one dealer on swirl marks, they claimed to "remove" them and when I went to pick it up... swirl marks still there. They claim it's normal to have the spider-webbing... Yea right!

Went home, removed swirls and applied my Zaino with Souveran Paste topper. Return to dealer, and asked that they view the car. Gee, you could guess his answer.

All workorders at dealership that's closer (AND LISTENS TO THE CUSTOMER) have a statement in it," DO NOT WASH THIS VEHICLE AS PER CUSTOMERS REQUEST" So now it's fine.

Soon I'll take it in for the roof rattle and see if there is anything on that.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 10-09-03, 06:56 AM
discipline
Driver School Candidate

Default No email to Toyota USA..

>Email doesn't just go to the dealer, it goes to Toyota USA.<

Incorrect.. The email you get is only an automated response from the Toyota USA email server. Your email is only sent to the dealer.
Old 10-09-03, 09:38 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Whatever!! I just know I received an Email from a person at Toyota USA with a phone number and address everytime I emailed the dealership. I don't know if it's from an Email server or not, just that it is an email.

Doc C
Old 10-09-03, 07:16 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default No door rattle

This may be a stupid question but since picking up my '02 SC I have had the ML cranked way up. I brought a few CD's that have some awesome bass. I am wondering how am I going to possibly hear a rattle with the ML cranked way up?

I just checked to see what the settings were and I found them all at zero ( to think I fell in love with the ML at 0 ). I just adjusted them all to +3 so I'll see if this produces any rattle.

Are you hearing this rattle ( or vibration ) with the ML cranked way up or only at lower volume?
Old 10-09-03, 07:46 PM
JCtx
Racer

I'll jump in here. My car ('04) rattles like crazy with the bass above +2. The worst offender is AM talk radio; the best test (put bass at '+3'). I listen to music at very modest volumes, but like the controls at 'MAX' (+5) treble and bass, and 'FLAT' (0) midrange. With the rattle, I have to lower the bass until it stops rattling, usually at +1 or +2.
And believe me, you'll hear it!! Very annoying. Car will go in next week; hope it doesn't get scratched or stained this time. I'm a reasonably intelligent person, so I don't expect booming, rattle-free bass with woofers inside the doors, so I settle for no rattle at the normal volumes I listen to music.

Good evening gentlemen.

Quick Reply: Door rattle