Door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 09:06 PM
ekovalsky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door rattle

not to beat a dead horse...

on friday i'm going in for the 1k mile service. i printed out a bunch of posts from ClubLexus regarding the door rattle problem so the dealer doesn't think i'm crazy. i have loaded a few cd's which reliably produce the problem even at low volumes. the rattle in my sc430 is mainly on the driver side with a lesser rattle on the passenger side.

i'll post a follow-up on how the dealer (Scottsdale Lexus) tackles this problem and if they can get it fixed. if they do fix it i'll get some details on what they did and post them.
Old 09-25-03, 07:53 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Is this on a brand new car? I thought Lexus fixed that problem. Can you check the build date on your car (found on a driver's door sticker) and post it? Hope I don't have to deal with that on my '04. Even my crappy '03 vette doesn't rattle with the stereo LOUD, and has the same system as the SC, with the woofers inside the doors. It DID have the same problem early on, however.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-25-03, 11:19 PM
lmatherne3
Driver School Candidate

I just went in for my 1,000 mile service and they rejected my request to fix the door rattle. My service writter wants me to bring more music. The rattling it driving me nuts.

However, they are replacing my dash without any questions becuase it has a few bubbles in it. They said they will relook at the squeeky windows and ratteling door when I bring it in for the new dash.

Car was bought new in August.
Old 09-25-03, 11:44 PM
ekovalsky
Rookie

Car was bought brand new at end of July 2003. Date of manufacture is 06/03 on the white door sticker.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dealer can fix this. It is driving me crazy, particularly since one of the reasons I went for the SC430 is the stereo... I'm a major audiophile.

Here is the list of "issues" I'm giving the Service Manager & Tech tomorrow morning when I bring the car in for the 1k checkup:

1. Stereo-induced rattle of wood inserts on doors (mainly on driver side)
very common problem with SC430 -- see attached ClubLexus forum posts
occurs even at medium or low volumes, not just high volumes
bass is NOT turned up too high! all EQ settings are at "0"
occurs whether ASL is "on" or "off", I want ASL to remain "on"
can feel excessive vibrations in wood panel
rattle stops if pressure applied to rear half of wood panel
disc1, track3, starting at 10sec usually reproduces rattle

2. Passenger seat and roof rattles
not related to stereo, occur intermittently while driving

3. Minor defect in rubber trim of passenger rear wheel well @ 12:30 position

4. Subtle vertical ding of passenger door
very hard to see when dirty, marked with circle and arrows drawn in dust

5. Desired C-BEST settings:

1. WIRELESS D LOCK > UNLOCK / 2 OPER > ALL
1. WIRELESS D LOCK > AUTO LOCK DELAY > 60s
2. DOOR LOCK > UNLOCK/PARK > ON
2. DOOR LOCK > ALL UNLK/OPN-CL > ON
2. DOOR LOCK > UNLK/KEY TWICE > ALL
8. LIGHT CONTROL > DRL FUNCTION > OFF

6. Please remove and do not reapply service reminder sticker to window

7. VERY IMPORTANT !!! Please DO NOT wash or wax car after service!
Initial dealer prep left microscratches and swirls all over the black paint...
I will hand wash, polish/glaze, and wax car myself

Last edited by ekovalsky; 09-26-03 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:41 AM
GLGTOY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ekovalsky,
Most of us have had the door rattle problems witht his car. When I took it to the dealer he knew exactly what I was talking about. He told me that he was going to install a kit. They remove the wood panels install a rubber seal (The kit) around the panel and that is it. I only hear an occasional rattle when a DJ is speaking. Helped considerably. I will try to find the service invoice to get part number if such a thing exist.
Old 09-26-03, 04:25 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

glgtoy ...

I see you own the same two kinds of car that I do - SC430 and Outback (winter/hauling) except mine are both 2002's.

I see you are from New York - if you're an upstater, who is your dealer?
Old 09-26-03, 07:44 AM
ekovalsky
Rookie

Originally posted by GLGTOY
ekovalsky,
Most of us have had the door rattle problems witht his car. When I took it to the dealer he knew exactly what I was talking about. He told me that he was going to install a kit. They remove the wood panels install a rubber seal (The kit) around the panel and that is it. I only hear an occasional rattle when a DJ is speaking. Helped considerably. I will try to find the service invoice to get part number if such a thing exist.

GLGTOY,

if there is any way you can get the part number or description from the invoice I'd appreciate it!
Old 09-26-03, 03:14 PM
GLGTOY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1NICESC430
I LIVE IN UPPER WESTCHESTER. I USE RAY CATENA LEXUS OUT OF LARCHMONT. SO FAR GREAT SERVICE. NO PROBLEMS. THIS IS MY 4TH SUBARU. THEY ARE GREAT CARS, ESPECIALLY IN THE SNOW

EKOVALSKY
I ADDRESSED THE PROBELMS AT MY 5000 MILE CHECK UP.

PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION
0823100801 NOISE KIT

THEY REMOVED LEFT AND RIGHT DOOR PANELS, SEPERATED WOOD TRIMS, INSULATED JOINTS.

I GUESS THE INSULATING IS THE NOISE KIT. I THINK IT IS A RUBBER SEAL THAT GOES ALL AROUND THE INSIDE OF THE WOOD TRIM. IT HAS HELPED A LOT.
HOPE THIS HELPS.
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. I DID NOT REALIZED UNTIL I WAS FINSIHED.
Old 09-27-03, 02:26 PM
ekovalsky
Rookie

Turns out that Lexus does indeed have a TSB on the SC430 door rattle problem. Dealer installed the insulation kit and problem is definitely better, though there is stil a less irritating rattle with a few songs at moderately high volume. I may ask them to do more work on it next time I bring it in.

I am pretty frustrated at the dealer. My wife took her white GX470 in for 1k service last week. It was filthy and she was looking forward to the complimentary wash/vacuum. But the dealer was running way late, the car wouldn't be ready to pick up on the same day, and then she had to wait over an hour after the promised time the following day to get it, all this time with a screaming, hungry baby to deal with. When it was finally done and the valet brought it around, it had not been washed and had greasy fingerprints all over the interior. Plus, intead of the promised Lexus loaner car, typically an ES or RX, she got a Pontiac Grand Prix. To say the least she was not thrilled about the GM loaner car but I told her she had become too high maintenance if she felt that was a major issue. I remember the days when I had to bum a ride or take a shuttle to get to/from the Subaru dealer when I had my SVX.

Then, I bring my black SC in and give explicit verbal and written instructions NOT to wash it -- the dealer did a great job of putting swirls and microscratches in the finish when they initially prepped it. My detail guy has been making headway with glaze and polish to get the swirls out. So I go pick it up and.... they f*@#ing washed it! The service manager apologized and swears it was "hand washed with soft water, dried with a chamois and then spray waxed". Do I need to say it has swirls all over it again ? A bet it went through a tunnel

So the dealer forgot to wash my wife's filthy white SUV, which she really wanted cleaned, and my black SC, which I didn't want them to touch, they washed.

I may give the other dealer in Phoenix a chance to do the service next time, maybe they will be better. I'm normally not so hard too please, but since we bought well over $100k worth of cars from this place in the last few months and are a repeat customer (previously had a GS430) I expect better. Plus, it's not like they gave us a smoking deal on the cars in the first place. I got pretty mediocre discounts off of sticker. I could have saved some money by getting the cars shipped here from the big dealer in FL, but I paid extra to get the cars from a local dealer so they would take care of us. May have to do the FL thing next time around...

Since several regulars here seem to be going for the G35, I should say that we received far better service at the Infiniti dealer when we had the QX4. Although my wife didn't love that vehicle and we unloaded it for the GX, they always treated her like a princess when she brought it in. If Infiniti ever starts making cars with high quality interiors and high end audio Lexus better look out.

Last edited by ekovalsky; 09-27-03 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-27-03, 06:32 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey buddy, at least you seem to have an alternative. I've had very bad luck with the ONLY dealer in 300 miles. To make matters worse, the same stupid guys own basically all of the high-end luxury marques (except BMW), so besides incompetent, are arrogant. I bought 3 new lexuses from them, and exactly the same thing happened to the first 2 (SC400 and LS400). I had to take delivery of the GS400 exactly the way it arrived: filthy, and still wrapped inside and outside. Took me a little longer than a normal carwash, but the car was immaculate when I was done.
I also had my share of problems with those cars, getting progressively worse. When I was done with the GS, gave BMW chance, but wasn't impressed. I'll be back to Lexus again, but I refuse to patronize a crappy dealer, so I bought it from Albuquerque. Turns out they gave me over $3K more discount (I checked just for the heck of it), so I gladly took my business elsewhere. I called Lexus, and they told me if they refuse to give me a loaner, or give me any kind of hard time for not buying there, to just give them a call. If I had bad service before, I'm not counting on better news on this car, but I do all the maintenance on my cars anyway, and don't anticipate bringing it there unless I have problems. I'm hoping my new '04 will have the TSB corrected, since I've been hearing about this problem since its inception (why hasn't it been fixed?).
The SC had only a handful of problems compared to my GS, so I'm confident Lexus is getting better again. If that's not the case, then I'll be gone from Lexus for good, but plan to keep this baby for a long time.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend gang.

JC
Old 09-30-03, 02:48 PM
dsimo
Driver

I just picked my my car from its 10k service. Thanks to the previous posts (truly, thank you!), I told them that there was a TSB for the door buzz. They found it, installed the kit, and it makes a world of difference. It is TSB# NV008-03. They were unaware of the TSB and said that I was their first installation. I haven't heard any buzzing yet.

By the way, I've had great dealership experiences with Lexus. I've owned many premium brand cars (BMW, MB, Audi, Volvo, Saab), and while some of these brands have provided very good service, my experiences with Lexus are certainly among the best.
Old 09-30-03, 06:33 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

dsimo,

Thank you so much for the TSB number. Lexus of Albuquerque has jerked me around saying there was no TSB and that I must be mistaken. I would have Grease Monkey work on my car before I would let them touch it. I think I will Email them that TSB number, so they can catch up with other dealerships. Thanks again!!!!

Doc C
Old 10-01-03, 05:08 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doc ...

If you're really upset with them, send a real letter copying a couple of managers there. E-mail can too easily be vaporized.
Old 10-01-03, 07:45 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Excellent idea. I sent a letter to Lexus USA and they called Albuquerque and the service manager there called me. He was very apologetic and offered a free detail on my SC. I just got the brillo pad swirls they put in there out with Zaino, so I won't do that, but at least he was making an effort. They should really look at this forum. They might learn some things. I mean even simple things like the complaints about the run flats and things like that so that they can help their customers better. It's shocking to know way more about the car than the salesman or service dept. When a cusotmer walks throught the door and wants to tell me how to do my job, and knows more about it than I do, it's time to find something else to do. Maybe go sell Lexus' at Albuquerque!?!?
Old 10-01-03, 07:47 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Also, I think Lexus has a good way of dealing with E-mail. When you email a dealer throught the Lexus website, that Email doesn't just go to the dealer, it goes to Toyota USA. I always get a confirmation of the Email from Toyota saying that (Lexus of Albuquerque in this case) the Lexus dealer will be contacting me soon and checking to make sure that they have contacted me.

Quick Reply: Door rattle