SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Car won't crank over after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-21, 11:20 AM
GerryN
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Car won't crank over after battery change

I have a 2005 SC430. After replacing the car battery the car won't crank over. In fact, after turning the key to the ON position none of the dashboard lights lit up, including the clock. The trunk won't open either. The only lights that still work are the door-opened warning and the interior overhead lights. I checked the battery and it's strong. The key remote still works to lock/unlock the doors so it shouldn't be a key programming issue?

Could this be an immobilizer security problem? How do I fix this without having to tow to a dealership? Please help.
Old 05-16-21, 12:20 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Any chance you put the battery in backwards? Did u connect the red Cable to the + side and the Black Cable to the - Side?

Why did u change the battery in the first place? Did your car not start before you did it?

One last thought, is the new battery bad? Maybe not charged up? Is it brand new, or one you had in your garage?
Old 05-16-21, 02:16 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by GerryN
I have a 2005 SC430. After replacing the car battery the car won't crank over. In fact, after turning the key to the ON position none of the dashboard lights lit up, including the clock. The trunk won't open either. The only lights that still work are the door-opened warning and the interior overhead lights. I checked the battery and it's strong. The key remote still works to lock/unlock the doors so it shouldn't be a key programming issue?

Could this be an immobilizer security problem? How do I fix this without having to tow to a dealership? Please help.
I don’t think ít’s the immobilization isue, since your car not turn over. If it were the Immobilization problem, you can crank but can not start the car. You might have blown some fuse. I would start to check all fuses in the fuse boxes. There are two under the hood, two by the foot well on both side and one in the trunk.
Old 05-16-21, 02:22 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I also double check with the battery. Replace it with the known good battery. Why did you replace the battery? Is the battery you replacing new? How do you know it’s good? What is the voltage?
Old 05-16-21, 02:52 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I agree that it sounds like the main fuse was blown.
Old 05-16-21, 03:37 PM
GerryN
7th Gear

Sorry if my initial post wasn't clear. It does crank but cannot start car - that's what I meant by it won't crank over. I removed the battery and stored inside the house with trickle charger while the car was stored outside under cover for winter. I double checked that it was reinstalled properly, i.e., +ve and -ve connection. A friend also checked the battery with a meter and car was cranking strongly. Indications that the battery was fine.

The weird thing is nothing lit up on the dashboard as if there was no battery, except it does show car door was open with entry lights so I know electricity was getting through.

Does the above help give more clue to my problem?
Old 05-16-21, 03:39 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Check for rodents…they may have chewed wires.
remove the engine cover, 10mm socket…lock very closely at all wire bundles…also look for rodent excrement
Old 05-16-21, 04:06 PM
GerryN
7th Gear

Okay. I'll try to peak around.
Old 05-16-21, 04:44 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

OK, in that case, BGW could be right. The easiest sign to recognize if you have rodent infestation is their drops. If you see them then I would check all the wiring harnesses. Few of us had this problem, I myself also had this problem with my LS400. I hope it’s not too serious.
Old 05-16-21, 05:33 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Check the fuses in the driver's side and passenger side boxes. #2 panel (driver's side), # 20 MPX-B2 & # 24 Radio no. 2 (both passenger side). Other fuse possibilities are: 29 TV (passenger side), 43 D/C cut (engine compartment) & 47 Radio no. 1 (engine compartment).

You could have sent a spark / surge into the system when you reconnected the battery.
Old 05-20-21, 12:23 PM
GerryN
7th Gear

Thanks Harold57, GmanSC, Bgw70 and DshngDaryl for your inputs. I checked each fuse and found several burned and replaced them, including #45ETC & #65IGN . I was able to crank over and start the engine, yeah. Unfortunately there is still no power to radio nor was I able to release the trunk and gas tank cover. Even honk doesn't work. I recheck fuse #46 and #47 and they were fine. Furthermore, I couldn't shift gears as that was also locked. I manually unlock the gearbox to drive the car to the driveway. Obviously I still have more problems. I replaced fuse #24RADIO2 just in case but that didn't help. Anymore suggestions? It acts like the car is somehow "locked" but doors and windows operate fine.

I didn't find any rodent excrement so I hope all the wires are okay but can't tell.
Old 05-20-21, 02:39 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

There are fuses and also there are ECUs. Sounded like your ECUs are also fried. Did you know why your fuses blown?
Old 05-20-21, 04:16 PM
GerryN
7th Gear

No idea how. All I did was re-install the battery which I have done many times over the years. Think I really do need a tow to the dealership after all. Are ECU expensive to replaced?
Old 05-21-21, 12:49 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Did you check the fuses in the trunk?
Remove the small cover to access the box…you don’t need to remove everything

Old 05-21-21, 10:16 AM
GerryN
7th Gear

No i haven't check those fuses in the trunk as I thought they weren't related to my problem. I'll do that soon and revert. Thanks for the reminder.

Quick Reply: Car won't crank over after battery change