SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

XPel Installation Cost

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 06:34 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XPel Installation Cost

Would those of you who have had XPel bumper, hood, and outside mirror protection installed let me know how much you were charged? I seem to recall reading that it was about $600-$700. The folks I'm considering having install it for me have done many XPel jobs, but none on an SC430 - I'm waiting for a call-back from them with the cost.

Thanks
Old 09-25-03, 07:15 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the bumper, hood, A-pillars,above the windshield, behind the wheels on the rocker panel, mirrors, door handles done for $900. So, it sounds like $600-700 would be about right for what you're having done. I did the headlights and foglights myself with an X-pel kit from Autosport magazine. It's easy (10 minutes) and was less than the installer wanted. GOod luck
Old 09-25-03, 08:50 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the bumper, lower part of the hood, and mirrors done. Since I have an AutoCouture front lip spoiler, they also made a special piece to cover that. It cost $500 and has been worth every penny.
Old 09-25-03, 09:19 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here in NorCal, installed is about $500.
Old 09-25-03, 09:22 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got ripped off paying $850 installed for Xpel on front...

I paid an additional $70 for the headlight protection I put on myself...

I won't overpay that again on another car
Old 09-25-03, 10:46 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot, guys. If this guy wants to charge me more than $500, I'm going to need to know why.
Old 09-25-03, 02:06 PM
flatfoot
Driver

I had the whole front end , rv mirrors, and the headlights done for $460.00. That was after a $40 discount, so $500 sounds like a fair price. I know that if you have it installed at the dealership before you take delivery, they can charge around $1000.00. This is my second car with the X-Pel and so far, so good. It beats having to take off the Colgan every week.

Flatfoot
Old 09-25-03, 06:30 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default 1nicesc430-$670.00

Nice;
I paid $670.00 for the following installed:
front end
forward 1/3 of hood
headlights
side view mirrors
I may have over paid but I can only say that it was well worth the money and I am very happy with the protection.
Ron
Old 09-25-03, 06:48 PM
GLGTOY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my car for a year now and last week an SUV backed up into my bumper , grill, and scratched the hood. The only good thing is that I now have a freshly painted hood, a new bumper and a new grill. Soooooooooo I am now going to the do the right thing and get protected before I get the chips. I am considering ArmorGlove. I have an installer not to far from me.

Hood
Front Bumper
Lights
Side Mirrors
Plus Install

$685.00

I know many of the CL members have had Expel installed. Has any one had experience with ArmorGlove?

Last edited by GLGTOY; 09-25-03 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-25-03, 06:54 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi there. Can somebody post the actual source of the DIY Xpel healight kit? Would like to order that before I pick up the car, since the lexus bra (included in deal) doesn't cover them to bring the car home. I'll start looking for 'clear bra' installers next week to do it here, in case of a claim.
And yes, my stupid car was 'delayed' a week; of course this news were delivered after the $1,500 deposit was collected, claiming arrival that day (Aug 20) or Monday Aug 22. Car arrival was pushed to October. We'll see how long this game continues.

Good evening gentlemen.

JC
Old 09-25-03, 06:59 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by ELP_JC
Hi there. Can somebody post the actual source of the DIY Xpel healight kit? Would like to order that before I pick up the car
Why not go straight to the source:

http://www.xpel.com/
Old 09-25-03, 07:31 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default Armourglove quote

EdP,

Here is the "out the door" quote that they gave me in Greenwich, CT.: I am scheduled to purchase my car next week & have them do the following:

1. full hood wrap ( my choice to not see the sides )
2. full front bumper wrap
3. head lights
4. mirrors
5. wing ends
6. door cups

$628.00
Old 09-25-03, 07:39 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Neo, thanks buddy; thought only distributors sold it.
Saw an interesting fact: headlight kit is rated at 4-stars (difficulty), just as the bumper and hood/mirror kits. Can somebody provide detailed experience of installing the headlight kit? I checked, and no installer is provided for my area (within 150 miles). I'm very handy and mechanically inclined, but have never done a tint job, nor I plan to do it. This material being so much stronger than tint, might be easier to handle, huh? Naaaah. Will probably look for an alternate brand. Remember reading one that even 'envelopes' the hood, so the film ends UNDER the hood, which sounds much better to me.

Thanks again for the info.

JC
Old 09-25-03, 08:59 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by ELP_JC
Hey Neo, thanks buddy; thought only distributors sold it.
Saw an interesting fact: headlight kit is rated at 4-stars (difficulty), just as the bumper and hood/mirror kits. Can somebody provide detailed experience of installing the headlight kit?
Their recommended installers usually order the same headlight kits from X-pel since the film is so much thicker. The paint films come in bulk rolls and the installer usually has templates on their computer and one of those big template printer/cutter. That is how they can lower their cost/overhead.

As for installation, the headlight kit is both easier and harder than the paint kits. It is easier since it is smaller and much more manageable. The headlight kit is more difficult because it is thicker. You will need to have a heat gun/hair dryer on hand to soften the material.

I've installed both headlight and paint pieces (not on my GS). The headlights came out pretty good but it took some work to get all the contours correct. Since I've never done tint, the paint film was harder for me. Trying to center the piece well enough so that it will stretch out right took several tries. I had a hard time managing the bigger piece.

X-Pel has a tutorial on how to install the kits with pretty detailed pics. They will also send out an instructional video for free if you request it on the website.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-03, 09:16 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

ELP-JC

The headlight kit isn't that bad. I ordered mine from Autosport magazine. I did it on my LX 3 years ago, and my SC 8 months ago and it still looks brand new. The material is very thick. You will need a spray bottle with alcohol and water mixed and you will need another person to help you with a hair dryer. I chose to wear surgical gloves so there was no way I would leave any fingerprints. The headlight kits come pre-cut for the SC or any car. Just spray the alcohol/water on the cover. Turn on your headlights for 5-10 minutes before hand to warm them up. Also, it helps you see bubbles better. Then apply. Use the hairdryer to soften the material and a spread out the bubbles with the enclosed squeegee. IF there are some very small voids or bubbles underneath, DON'T PANIC. They will disappear in a few days to a week as it dries out. I am not mechinically inclined. I am an idiot with stuff like this and it was easy. It took 20 minutes for my wife and I to to the fog lamps and headlights. We didn't even argue or anything!!! What's the worst that could happen?? They go on crooked and you have to heat them with a hair dryer and start over?? No big deal!! Good luck.

Doc C

Quick Reply: XPel Installation Cost