Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Adding tech

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 10:30 AM
dalila
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding tech

How do I add new technology… Apps Bluetooth for music etc. without damaging factory navigation screen?Any attachments or add-ons that you guys know about.I have a 2009 pebble beach SC 430 and I love everything except for limited technology.

Last edited by dalila; 06-10-21 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 11:15 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

just do a simple search and you'll find plenty of threads about this.
The following users liked this post:
dalila (06-10-21)
Old 06-10-21, 12:36 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

What do you want to do? It’s easy to replace the ML stereo with new modern tech rado, however, replacing the NAV with another modern units is tricky. The best you can do is mirror the lower screen to the upper screen or replace the NAV with the Garmin.
The following users liked this post:
dalila (06-10-21)
Old 06-10-21, 12:43 PM
dalila
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
What do you want to do? It’s easy to replace the ML stereo with new modern tech rado, however, replacing the NAV with another modern units is tricky. The best you can do is mirror the lower screen to the upper screen or replace the NAV with the Garmin.
really all I’m looking to add is CarPlay. Just wanna be able to listen to streaming music like Pandora. Maybe a camera in back for driving in reverse. Everything else I would prefer to keep the same. Wondering if there is just an add-on attachment.
Old 06-10-21, 12:57 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dalila
really all I’m looking to add is CarPlay. Just wanna be able to listen to streaming music like Pandora. Everything else I would prefer to keep the same. Wondering if there is just an add-on attachment.
Many options:
1. Buy a Monster cassette adapter like I did. Inexpensive and easy. Plug into your phone. Mount your phone on the dash or windshield. Listen musics from your phone. Can do hand free phone conversation. Sound great. No any kind of interference.
2. Buy a FM Bluetooth modulator. Inexpensive. Pair your phone and turn to unused FM station. May have interference.
3. Replace the ML stereo with modern units like Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine or alike. Will need the modulators like Beatsonic, Groom Audio, or alike, also require to remove the console and the radio. Easy to do. Cost $$$.

Search the forum. You will find tons of infos.

Old 06-10-21, 12:59 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

You can use navtool or naviks to add the backup camera function.
You can mirror (not car play) the iphone display to the upper screen via the apple hdmi output adapter.
You'll get something like this:
Old 06-11-21, 11:23 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by dalila
really all I’m looking to add is CarPlay. Just wanna be able to listen to streaming music like Pandora. Maybe a camera in back for driving in reverse. Everything else I would prefer to keep the same. Wondering if there is just an add-on attachment.
FOR JUST THE AUDIO

There is an adapter made by Grom which is very easy to install. You can do it yourself, or hire an installer to do it.
https://gromaudio.com/installs/lexus...-grom-usb.html

You can call the company, but I am pretty sure the bluetooth option is the one you want.
https://gromaudio.com/store/all-toyo.html
Old 06-11-21, 11:56 AM
Azfixer
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed a Navtool with CarPlay and backup camera. I'm still on the fence if I like it though.
Old 06-13-21, 07:53 PM
siddu
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

why do you NOT like it? I have an naviks unit coming in the mail so that's why I'm scared
I ordered this one + aux adapter.

2002 - 2009 Lexus SC 430 (Z40) Apple CarPlay (Wired & Wireless) & Android Auto (Wired Only) + USB Media + HDMI (naviks.com)

I'm scared about how the audio quality will be from their AUX adapter.

What are the cons of your NAVTOOL?
Old 06-13-21, 08:10 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I never guessed the Naviks could cost that much. I have older model Naviks cost less than $200. I only used it for backup cam since I don’t want to route the wires from the trunk to the front.
Old 06-13-21, 08:24 PM
siddu
Rookie

Hah...yeah. I'm dead worried about how hard it's going to be to install/ how it will perform due to its price.
I'm comfortable with everything BUT routing the cables from the trunk to the center console.

I'm thinking about making a full installation documentary IF it turns out to be good. (perhaps maybe a Discord server?)

Is there an SC430 Discord server?
Old 06-13-21, 09:01 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by siddu
Hah...yeah. I'm dead worried about how hard it's going to be to install/ how it will perform due to its price.
I'm comfortable with everything BUT routing the cables from the trunk to the center console.

I'm thinking about making a full installation documentary IF it turns out to be good. (perhaps maybe a Discord server?)

Is there an SC430 Discord server?
There is a video made for this installation. It’s not hard just time consume. Two men, professional audio installer, and it took them couple hours to finish. You can search and watch it.
Old 06-13-21, 09:20 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

For the mean time, here is how BGW did his.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...007-sc430.html
if I found the video, I will post the link. And here it is:

Last edited by GmanSC; 06-13-21 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-14-21, 08:09 AM
Azfixer
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by siddu
why do you NOT like it? I have an naviks unit coming in the mail so that's why I'm scared
I ordered this one + aux adapter.

What are the cons of your NAVTOOL?
The Navtool uses a remote (not the touch screen) that you clip to the steering wheel. I does work you just have to make sure the receiver for the remote is in line with the it. I didn't at first and had issues with the remote. It's a little combersome using the remote but I've gotten use to it and it's not to bad. I think the Naviks uses the touch screen so that might be easier to use. For AUX input I used a wired aux adaptor from sc430mods.com. It's cheap and so far works good. Another thing about the Navtool is you have to what 30 sec's or so after you start the car for it to boot up so you can use the backup camera or CarPlay. You can't just jump in start throw it in reverse and expect the camera. But I'm getting use to that.

Installation was easy! If you take the back seat out you can route all the wires you want easily to the center console. You'll see the factory wire already run there and just follow them.

Overall I like it. It's just not as user friendly as a factory installed system.
Old 06-14-21, 03:46 PM
siddu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Azfixer
For AUX input I used a wired aux adaptor from sc430mods.com. It's cheap and so far works good.
Installation was easy! If you take the back seat out you can route all the wires you want easily to the center console. You'll see the factory wire already run there and just follow them.
you just ended all my fear thank you

i’m glad you like it…the remote control does seem hard to get used to…it’s like those old 2000s IS navigation systems..with the remote and all 😊

i get my NAVIKS kit tomorrow. I’m planning on making a full guide on installing it..for idiots…because i have nothing better to do

first time doing anything on the mobile version of club lexus…pardon me if i did this wrong

yes I did it wrong😑 will fix once I get to my computer
fixed.

Last edited by siddu; 06-14-21 at 04:00 PM.