SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Locking the top

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-21, 03:11 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Locking the top

I thought I saw a thread where someone mentioned locking the top so it could not be opened accidentally. Today I got the first Texas State inspection and I was very forceable in telling the tester NOT to touch that button. But it occurred to me that a manual override to prevent the top from opening (or closing) would be a nice feature to prevent a screw up.
The post I saw seemed to indicate there was such a prevention feature but I cant find that post anymore.
Old 06-11-21, 03:31 PM
MH6878
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In the glove compartment.
Old 06-11-21, 04:16 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Well, I would never have guessed it was THERE. Is it just a switch or does it lock the top so a curious valet cant screw it up?
Old 06-11-21, 10:50 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Well, I would never have guessed it was THERE. Is it just a switch or does it lock the top so a curious valet cant screw it up?
Why do you think they name it “Valet Button”? There are two ways to disable the top roof operation: push in the valet button or unhook the cover in the trunk. Both are there for safety reasons. The valet button locks out the curious valet attendant, the cover limits the height of your items store in the trunk so they won’t damage your roof. If the LED is flashing when you open or close your roof, check those things.
Old 06-12-21, 06:29 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Di9dnt know it WAS named the valet button. The cover not being pulled is a great idea.
I found a third reason for the flashing light.
Yesterday I put the top up and thought it was done, but the windows had not fully closed yet. I let go of the button and finished putting the windows up with the door buttons. Then I went for a drive and could not understand why the red light and a continuous beeping like a seat belt not fastened. At my destination, a little fiddling around found that while the top was fully up, the sequences was apparently not finished. Cycling the top fixed the problem.
Old 06-12-21, 09:41 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Yes. You must wait for the beep then the cycle is completed, even though the window is still down. You can manually roll the windows up or down after the beep.
Old 06-12-21, 09:55 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

The beep occurs after the top locks down and the rear windows are up. After that, you can keep holding the button to roll up the front windows or release and use the window switches on the door to complete it.
Old 06-12-21, 10:39 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

Note that using the "valet locking method" means you open your glove compartment, push the button in, close compartment, lock with the key in your fob. Then you keep the key with you and only let the fob out of your possession. Just folding up the trunk curtain will keep the top from activating, but not keep the trunk from opening with the fob. The glove box button prevents opening with the fob or dash button.

Attendants or service people can still ride the heck out of your car (like in Ferris Bueller's Day Off) with the fob.

--
Old 06-12-21, 10:55 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

Note that using the "valet locking method" means you open your glove compartment, push the button in, close compartment, lock with the key in your fob. Then you keep the key with you and only let the fob out of your possession. Just folding up the trunk curtain will keep the top from activating, but not keep the trunk from opening with the fob. The glove box button prevents opening with the fob or dash button.

Attendants or service people can still ride the heck out of your car (like in Ferris Bueller's Day Off) with the fob.

--
That when the valet key comes in. Lock your glove box and your center console box with your key and give the valet attendant the valet key. This will not stop the attendant from driving your car or opening your trunk but it will keep him from driving your car with the top down.
Old 06-12-21, 11:01 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Originally Posted by GmanSC
That when the valet key comes in. Lock your glove box and your center console box with your key and give the valet attendant the valet key. This will not stop the attendant from driving your car or opening your trunk but it will keep him from driving your car with the top down.
--

I don't understand what you mean. The purpose of locking the trunk is to keep the attendant out of the trunk. To keep him from unlocking it is to push to disconnect button and locking it with the key so he can't get to it. Giving him the key defeats the purpose. You want him to have the fob since he has to drive the car to park it.

--
Old 06-12-21, 11:24 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Do you have the valet key? Valet key can not open the the glove box or the center console but it will allow the attendant to open the door and drive your car. There is a main trunk switch in the glove box, and yes, you’re right, he can not open your trunk or the roof if you lock your glove box. But if you give him the key fob then like you give him a permission to do so.
Old 06-12-21, 11:28 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

--

Maybe we're not talking about the same keys. I thought a valet key was the one you took out of your fob and kept for yourself. Then the fob just allows someone to unlock the door and start the car.

--
Old 06-13-21, 07:10 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

The valet key is not a FOB, it has no buttons. It is only a key.
Old 06-13-21, 11:08 AM
ronkelley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harold57
The valet key is not a FOB, it has no buttons. It is only a key.
--

Where do you get that key? Is it not the key tucked into the fob? Why would you only want to restrict the attendant from driving with the top down?

And why would you want to let the attendant get into your trunk? That supposedly is where you hide things you don't want stolen.

--
Old 06-13-21, 11:55 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

OK, OK, where do I get a valet key. I received only one key with the car, the one with the FOB attached. BTW what does FOB mean?

Quick Reply: Locking the top