SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-21, 07:27 PM
mocanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid

I have done a lot of searching and not found much info on the 6 speed closed transmission. I did find the PDF on how to check the fluid level.

Recently purchased a 2006. I'm in the process of making sure everything is in the best condition that it can be given its age and miles. The next project on the list is the transmission fluid. The car has 103k miles on it and has spent its whole life in the Atlanta area. The car must have been garage kept and only driven during nice weather. The underneath of the car looks like new. Even the bolts on the exhaust are rust free with only slight surface rust on parts of the exhaust. Always serviced at Nally Lexus. I suspect that this car was handled with care.

Do I change the filter and then drain and fill multiple times taking a chance that the fluid level might not be right or allow the dealer to flush the transmission? I don't trust dealers. I also don't trust doing a flush. Years ago I let a mechanic flush the transmission on a van I had and had nothing but problems after that. I might keep this car for a long time so I want to take care of the transmission which means the fluid has to be changed. Have Lexus do it or a transmission shop? Which Toyota fluid to use in an 06?
Old 06-13-21, 04:42 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The first one.

When in doubt, try to overfill it (you can't). Essentially, start the car cold and fill till it overflows.
Old 06-15-21, 06:33 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

We do drain and fill. There's a lot of good threads on thus topic.

And yes, get it going ASAP to make sure your tranny lasts.
Old 06-15-21, 09:54 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by mocanu
Which Toyota fluid to use in an 06?
I believe the '06 uses the Toyota World Standard aka ATF-WS.

You can buy it very inexpensively from the dealer (probably cheaper than an aftermarket at Oreilley's)

While you are there, give them you VIN and they can verify that for you,.

From Wikipedia

2002 - WS Fluid

Toyota WS Fluid

2002 Toyota WS ATF for Japan

2002 Toyota WS ATF for USAIn 2002, Toyota releases the Genuine ATF WS (World Standard) Fluid Specification (JWS3324 or NWS9638).[16][17] This fluid is not backward compatible with previous Toyota fluids or Dexron fluids. Almost all 2004 and above Toyota vehicles with automatic transmissions use the WS fluid specification. This fluid absorbs moisture and should never be reused. Always use fluid from an unopened container. See Toyota bulletin T-SB-003-11

Toyota asserts that under normal usage, the fluid has a 160,000 km (100,000 miles) maintenance interval for inspection only; ATF-WS does not require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle; however, an inspection of the maintenance schedule of many Toyota vehicles reveals that there is a 100,000 km (60,000 miles) replacement interval if the vehicle is used on short trips, city driving, hauling heavy loads, trailer towing, or using a car-top hauler. Check your own maintenance schedule for your vehicle's requirements.

This fluid is not backward compatible with any previous Toyota recommended fluid.

This fluid was first used in the following transmissions:
  • 2004 Toyota P112 Hybrid Transaxle[18]
  • 2006 AB60E 6-speed transmission
  • 2006 U660E 6-speed transaxle
  • 2007 AA80E 8-speed automatic (World's first 8-speed light duty transmission)8[19]
  • 2017 AGA0E 10-Speed Transmission[20]

The following users liked this post:
bondisc430 (07-09-21)
Old 06-16-21, 10:48 AM
NOsburn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other items

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I believe the '06 uses the Toyota World Standard aka ATF-WS.

You can buy it very inexpensively from the dealer (probably cheaper than an aftermarket at Oreilley's)

While you are there, give them you VIN and they can verify that for you,.

From Wikipedia

2002 - WS Fluid

Toyota WS Fluid

2002 Toyota WS ATF for Japan

2002 Toyota WS ATF for USAIn 2002, Toyota releases the Genuine ATF WS (World Standard) Fluid Specification (JWS3324 or NWS9638).[16][17] This fluid is not backward compatible with previous Toyota fluids or Dexron fluids. Almost all 2004 and above Toyota vehicles with automatic transmissions use the WS fluid specification. This fluid absorbs moisture and should never be reused. Always use fluid from an unopened container. See Toyota bulletin T-SB-003-11

Toyota asserts that under normal usage, the fluid has a 160,000 km (100,000 miles) maintenance interval for inspection only; ATF-WS does not require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle; however, an inspection of the maintenance schedule of many Toyota vehicles reveals that there is a 100,000 km (60,000 miles) replacement interval if the vehicle is used on short trips, city driving, hauling heavy loads, trailer towing, or using a car-top hauler. Check your own maintenance schedule for your vehicle's requirements.

This fluid is not backward compatible with any previous Toyota recommended fluid.

This fluid was first used in the following transmissions:
  • 2004 Toyota P112 Hybrid Transaxle[18]
  • 2006 AB60E 6-speed transmission
  • 2006 U660E 6-speed transaxle
  • 2007 AA80E 8-speed automatic (World's first 8-speed light duty transmission)8[19]
  • 2017 AGA0E 10-Speed Transmission[20]
sounds like your looking to do things right. I would look at having the timing belt changed with that many miles and age. If it breaks or slips you have a real engine mess! Change coolant pump while it is apart.
Old 06-22-21, 07:39 PM
mocanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing belt and water pump were changed before I purchased it. As for the transmission I've decided to do several drain and fills using Amsoil.
Wilson2000 (07-04-21)
Old 06-25-21, 05:23 PM
tosborn1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use w/s fluid ... manufactured for your car ..
Old 06-26-21, 08:16 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 111 Posts

My "new" 2006 SC-430 has 178,000 miles on it. I thought about doing something about the tranny fluid. But it is shifting so smooth and running so well that I am afraid to touch it. The last time I had a transmission flushed it was a Cadillac Seville and it never shifted right after that,
Old 06-27-21, 04:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
My "new" 2006 SC-430 has 178,000 miles on it. I thought about doing something about the tranny fluid. But it is shifting so smooth and running so well that I am afraid to touch it. The last time I had a transmission flushed it was a Cadillac Seville and it never shifted right after that,
if it has never been changed or it is unknown, Change it.
joemg (06-28-21)
Old 06-27-21, 12:50 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
if it has never been changed or it is unknown, Change it.
Agreed, but maybe do it incrementally via multiple drain and fills over time vs a flush. With this many miles, it is risky to flush. A drain and fill only removes a fraction of the total capacity, so you are less likely to have negative side affects.
Old 06-27-21, 12:56 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I agree with you. Changing Transmission Fluid for the first time on high mileage cars always seems to cause problems. I heard it was because the seals start to crumble when u flush the system.

But I also agree with BGW that the mileage has most likely killed all the stuff that makes it Transmission fluid.

On my Pontiac Vibe (aka rebadged Toyota matrix) I did a Wilson and drained the pan and refilled with two quarts of fresh fluid. Instead of the dipstick being black (like it was) or red (like it is when new) mine is an odd shade of Purple. Been about a year and so far so good. I think I am going to replace 2 more quarts in a few weeks.
Wilson2000 (07-01-21)
Old 06-27-21, 01:02 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I agree with you. Changing Transmission Fluid for the first time on high mileage cars always seems to cause problems. I heard it was because the seals start to crumble when u flush the system.

But I also agree with BGW that the mileage has most likely killed all the stuff that makes it Transmission fluid.

On my Pontiac Vibe (aka rebadged Toyota matrix) I did a Wilson and drained the pan and refilled with two quarts of fresh fluid. Instead of the dipstick being black (like it was) or red (like it is when new) mine is an odd shade of Purple. Been about a year and so far so good. I think I am going to replace 2 more quarts in a few weeks.
I am going to change the fluid on the 2007 with 54k miles soon…gonna do the remove both transmission cooler lines from the radiator, put one in the empty milk jug and the other in the new fluid jug, then start the car and let the transmission pump circulate the fluid. I was thinking 8-12 quarts should do it.

does that sound right?
RC51 (07-21-21)
Old 06-27-21, 01:18 PM
tosborn1
Driver School Candidate

Use w/s fluid ...only ... as per toyota and lexus bulletins from both do not use aftermarket fluids will destroy trans... and dont use trans additives ... drain 4 quarts and refill 4 quarts... drive for a month ... and re do it ... then you know how much you drain and refill..
Old 06-27-21, 01:21 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tosborn1
Use w/s fluid ...only ... as per toyota and lexus bulletins from both do not use aftermarket fluids will destroy trans... and dont use trans additives ... drain 4 quarts and refill 4 quarts... drive for a month ... and re do it ... then you know how much you drain and refill..
How many times do I do this to effect a complete change?
Old 06-27-21, 01:39 PM
tosborn1
Driver School Candidate

Two to three times you know how much you took out and how much to replace ... did it for years at the dealerships that i worked for no come backs ... or drain and refills

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid