SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Air Bag recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 09:02 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Air Bag recall

I just had the air bag recall done on my car, just before I picked it up from the seller.
When I picked it up the horn doesnt work and the wheel is offset 15 degrees to the left when going straight ahead. I am contacting the seller to see if that was the way it was before he took it in for the recall. If it was, then its not the dealers fault, BUT, both of those issues seem like they could have been caused by a sloppy Air Bag recall. But I dont know what the air bag recall involved.
Old 06-27-21, 11:22 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 563 Likes on 429 Posts

Jim, the air bag recall does not involve the steering wheel column. It’s passenger airbag not driver airbag. So your problem probably existed before the airbag recall.
Old 06-28-21, 06:33 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 348 Posts

Jim

There has actually been 2 air bag recalls. There was a recall of the recall both being passenger side.

Dennis
Old 06-28-21, 06:38 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I just had the air bag recall done on my car, just before I picked it up from the seller.
When I picked it up the horn doesnt work and the wheel is offset 15 degrees to the left when going straight ahead. I am contacting the seller to see if that was the way it was before he took it in for the recall. If it was, then its not the dealers fault, BUT, both of those issues seem like they could have been caused by a sloppy Air Bag recall. But I dont know what the air bag recall involved.
The horn issue is most likely the spiral cable or sometimes called the clock spring in the steering wheel column. Has nothing to do with the recalled passenger side air bag.
Old 06-28-21, 07:05 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

15 degrees off might mean that a VERY poor wheel alignment was done -- all the toe in adjustments done to one side.

I wonder if a shock to one wheel while driving could cause something in rack/pinion steering system to jump a tooth? Never heard of it happening, but...

And going with #2 above, could it be the steering rack is failing?

Obviously don't know a lot about SC430s (yet), just throwing out ideas that could be checked and possibly eliminated.
Old 06-28-21, 07:59 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

OK, thats good info. I didnt know what the recall was. I just didnt notice the tilt of the wheel till I hit the road heading home and didnt catch the horn till I was in a traffic situation. Both minor, but must be fixed as I am OCD. There doesnt seem to be an alignment problem as the car handles beautifully and the tires are wearing evenly and I am getting terrific fuel mileage. But in reading the clock spring replacement thing it mentioned getting the wheel back on correctly by marking the wheel and shaft. So I assume that correcting the 15 degree tilt is just as easy as that.
Old 06-28-21, 10:43 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

OK, thats good info. I didnt know what the recall was. I just didnt notice the tilt of the wheel till I hit the road heading home and didnt catch the horn till I was in a traffic situation. Both minor, but must be fixed as I am OCD. There doesnt seem to be an alignment problem as the car handles beautifully and the tires are wearing evenly and I am getting terrific fuel mileage. But in reading the clock spring replacement thing it mentioned getting the wheel back on correctly by marking the wheel and shaft. So I assume that correcting the 15 degree tilt is just as easy as that.
If I recall correctly, you do have to take the steering wheel off to get to the clockspring. So when you reassemble, you can just set your steering wheel right.

Here is a video explaining how to do it:

I have not watched the video myself
Old 06-28-21, 11:33 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Yes, that is correct. So I will wait until I mount the new tires and do the alignment before correcting the steering wheel.
Old 06-28-21, 06:17 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
If I recall correctly, you do have to take the steering wheel off to get to the clockspring. So when you reassemble, you can just set your steering wheel right.

Here is a video explaining how to do it:
https://youtu.be/8UPzuTzMaak

I have not watched the video myself
That is not correct. Please do not do that. You will break the spiral cable/clock spring quickly. I have done the clock spring myself and that is not how it is done.
Old 06-29-21, 10:27 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
That is not correct. Please do not do that. You will break the spiral cable/clock spring quickly. I have done the clock spring myself and that is not how it is done.
Good to know
Old 06-29-21, 10:49 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Good to know
I didn't have time to explain yesterday. The position of the wheel in relation to the steering column is critical. The spiral cable has very little play at the full rotation. Only a couple degrees either way is enough to stress the cable and break it very quickly. It is imperative that the wheel be put back in the same location so as not to stress the cable if you turn the wheel all the way one way or the other. The issue should be addressed during the alignment before the spiral cable is replaced. Now, if the wheel has already been pulled and not put back in the original position and that is what broke the cable causing the horn not to work, then you have a new problem.
Old 06-29-21, 12:05 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Ok, I suspect that the PO may have been trying to fix something and put the wheel back on incorrectly aligned. The Horn works...sometimes....if the wheel is at its furthest rotation.
When I go to fix all of this I think I should wait until after the wheels are replaced and the alignment done. Then go after the horn problem. But where do I set the wheel if it is not aligned properly? Do I put it back, misaligned or, do I move it to where it is aligned?? I dont know if it is in the right spot for the spring NOW If it isnt, how do I correct it and still have the wheels aligned?

In the old days it was easy, just screw the tie rod ends, opposite directions but equal, on both sides unti the wheel is aligned. Now with the high falutin' steering geometry, that will just mess things up.
Old 06-29-21, 12:37 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Ok, I suspect that the PO may have been trying to fix something and put the wheel back on incorrectly aligned. The Horn works...sometimes....if the wheel is at its furthest rotation.
When I go to fix all of this I think I should wait until after the wheels are replaced and the alignment done. Then go after the horn problem. But where do I set the wheel if it is not aligned properly? Do I put it back, misaligned or, do I move it to where it is aligned?? I dont know if it is in the right spot for the spring NOW If it isnt, how do I correct it and still have the wheels aligned?

In the old days it was easy, just screw the tie rod ends, opposite directions but equal, on both sides unti the wheel is aligned. Now with the high falutin' steering geometry, that will just mess things up.
That may or may not be correct that someone had the wheel off before. It may just be that the person that aligned it last did not take the time to center the wheel or did not use a level during the alignment. I think the spec is +- 0.05 degree. As far as the horn. What you describe as an intermittent horn is exactly what I had and I replaced the clock spring and it fixed it. If the wheel has be taken off and not put back on in the correct orientation I have no idea what to say. The top of the steering column has splines but not keyed in any way to show the proper orientation. You are supposed to mark the wheel and the column to make sure it is put back on correctly. I know of no land marks that I saw that would be of any help.