Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 07:29 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Timing Belt

Greetings all,

Did some searching and haven't found a definitive answer, so I'll ask specifically.

I'm in the process of buying an 07 SC with 54k miles on the clock that as best I can tell has not had the timing belt changed. A couple of calls to service providers in my area that I trust indicate a cost of $1,400 for the work. I'm in Northern VA.

I realize that it's an interference engine, so am concerned about the possibility of catastrophic engine damage in the event of a timing belt failure.

What is your experience with the timing belt? Have you changed it per schedule (9 years/100k miles)?

Thanks,

Old 08-02-21, 09:09 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by doobs
Greetings all,

Did some searching and haven't found a definitive answer, so I'll ask specifically.

I'm in the process of buying an 07 SC with 54k miles on the clock that as best I can tell has not had the timing belt changed. A couple of calls to service providers in my area that I trust indicate a cost of $1,400 for the work. I'm in Northern VA.

I realize that it's an interference engine, so am concerned about the possibility of catastrophic engine damage in the event of a timing belt failure.

What is your experience with the timing belt? Have you changed it per schedule (9 years/100k miles)?

Thanks,

in a short answer, yes.
I changed them on both of my SC430s…I did the first one on my 2002, it’s a big job, and paid a Toyota/Lexus shop to do the 2007.
I think I paid $700 labor and I supplied all of the parts.
some may not agree with me but I replaced every part that was removed on both cars.
Here is a link to the thread with all of the parts I ordered.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10268170

Old 08-02-21, 09:25 AM
doobs
Advanced

Thanks. At this juncture, I'm not thinking about doing it myself. I've done other cars, but the complexity of this one intimidates me more than a little bit.

In all honesty I'm getting a bit trepidatious about this car. It's been virtually unused for some 5+ years without even an oil change. The dealer is firm on his price and in our discussions recommended a service contract for the car that he said would cover the timing belt replacement cost. The cost of plan is only slightly more than the timing belt replacement cost so I agreed.

He sent me a copy of the contract and the plan specifically does not cover maintenance items and goes further than that to say if the manufacturers service requirements are not met, then the warranty will not cover subsequent damages. So if don't have the timing belt changed and it fails, I'm on the hook for the damages.

I don't normally do extended warranties anyway, so this has convinced me to wave off on the warranty, but I'm having serious second thoughts in general about the car.

Appreciate the feedback

Old 08-02-21, 10:48 AM
doobs
Advanced

So the dealer called me and he is going to have the timing belt changed for the same amount of money.

Done and done.

Thanks for the feedback

Old 08-02-21, 07:46 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts

Make sure he does it. Its easy to say its done without even opening the hood. Check for the sticker, at least.

I bought both my cars out of town, 250 miles and 1400 milkes. My LS had only 50K but had 14 years on it. I had it done before I left town to go home. The engine is expensive to replace. My SC had 177,000 miles on it and had had the belt changed at 90K and was now almost ready for the second change. So, again I replaced it before I left to go home with it. Maybe I didnt need to, but the $1400 was an insurance policy against a failure on the way home and replpacing the engine. Maybe I could have skipped the replacement on the SC since it had only been 5 years since the last change and only 87000 miles, but the trip home was 1400 miles so I didnt se any reason the take the risk since I needed it done in 3K miles ANYWAY.
Old 08-03-21, 05:28 AM
doobs
Advanced

Thanks Jim,

Will do. I'll ask to see the repair invoice.

He did indicate it would take a couple of days to get done. This guy is a high end boutique dealer and he had nothing but expensive cars on the lot. He said 90% of his cars go out of town so he is very diligent about his reputation as one bad deal and he's toast.

He's very thorough and detail centric. I've never come across a used car salesman like this before.

We were hoping to get the car for a trip on Thursday to Williamsburg to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Oh well, this too shall pass. I suspect we will pick up the car on our way back into town next week.

cheers,

Old 08-03-21, 11:29 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

[QUOTE=doobs;11099372]
We were hoping to get the car for a trip on Thursday to Williamsburg to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Oh well, this too shall pass. /QUOTE]

That stinks. Maybe you can get the car now and take it back in for the belt service.

I have heard LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of people being concerned their timing belt is going to break (me included)

BUT I have not heard ONE SINGLE case of it happening during my 5 years on ClubLexus.
Old 08-03-21, 12:17 PM
doobs
Advanced

That's kinda why I asked. Lot's of chatter, but no real substance. In any event it will be done and I'll not worry about it.

I've got a 2005 Honda Pilot with a belt, and there are some reports on piloteers.org of belt failures with subsequent engine destruction.

I changed it at ~70k while I was home with my wife when she was rehabilitating from knee replacement.

cheers,

Old 08-03-21, 12:41 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I have heard LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of people being concerned their timing belt is going to break (me included)

BUT I have not heard ONE SINGLE case of it happening during my 5 years on ClubLexus.
Not exactly apples to apples, but in 2016 I picked up a 2000 Lexus LX470 that needed some TLC. It has the 4.7l 2UR-FE cast-iron block in contrast to our 3UR-FE aluminum block -- but shares the same timing belt. The truck had ~210K miles. and there was nothing in the records to show ever changing the timing belt. As an aside, I believe California mandated that all timing belts must last 100K miles back in the 90s. The same part number applies to Lexus across the US. Given most engineers go for roughly a double margin for safety, I thought 200K would be at a ragged edge. The truck was located only two blocks from me. I drove it home, and not another foot, until I was able to change the belt, water pump, pulleys, etc. Upon removal of the belt there was little wear, no missing teeth, and very minimal signs of cracking on the back of the belt.

I'd still change it out in exactly the same panic if I came upon the same situation again. But remember this was a 16 year old belt with 200+K miles on it. If I was pressed to drive it, I think I'd try to pull off the right side cam cover and see what the belt looked like (ask the dealer?). That said, I haven't done one (timing belt) yet on my SC, and maybe it's a bunch harder to access than on the LX - admittedly not sure how much effort I'm asking for here.

So, I guess I'm seconding the statements from DshngDaryl. Just my $0.2.
Old 08-03-21, 12:49 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

I too had not heard of a single failure., But did I want to bet $3500 that I would not be the first? Do you play Russian Roulette just because 5 people do and you are next? Do you play Russian Roulete with a semi-auto? The bet is $1400 against $3500 thats almost 3 to 1odds. At least with a revolver, the first time is 6 to 1 odds.

Old 08-03-21, 03:15 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
The bet is $1400 against $3500 thats almost 3 to 1odds. At least with a revolver, the first time is 6 to 1 odds.
I see that as a Reward VS Risk ratio, not really a likely hood to fail ratio.

And even though I said I have never heard of a belt breaking, I am not advocating for people not to change their belt.

SO JIM BELL I THINK YOU MADE A GOOD AND LOGICAL CALL

I was concerned when I got my car at 96,000 miles and had the belt changed.

My point is that the belt needs to be changed, but don't kill yourself over getting it done. If you buy a car far away from home, take off the cover and look at it.

Somewhere there is a post showing pictures of my belt at 130,000 miles. It looked REALLY good with no broken teeth and LOTS of meat on it. It was not as "Elastic" though.

Old 08-03-21, 04:38 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Yes, I am in 100% agreement with that. I wasnt willing to add $3500 to the cost of my cars.....LOL and since $1400 hurt, I asked how much would $3500 hurt?
Old 08-04-21, 09:37 AM
buddhi
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't pay a dime until you see the timing belt replacement docs.

Regardless of reputation every used car dealer will lie to make
$1400. They don't lie if under $300 and you can easily see if
its been done, like a sprayed bumper cover. $1400 is about
half their usual $3000 to $4000 profit. They'd rather sell it to
someone else not so on the ball rather than subtract $1400
from their bottom line. They know these cars sell fast, so no
need to negotiate on price or repairs.

Since the mileage is under 60K, they will rationalize it does not
need it (and it probably doesn't) and that another buyer will
not ask for a T-belt change, which is 60,000 to 100,000 miles
on these cars.

But any car sitting for five years should have a T-belt change
and a double oil change (with Royal Purple), for peace of
mind. If they said no to the T-belt and I still wanted it, I'd
get the T-belt changed rather than spend the same on
a service contract.

Old 08-04-21, 09:42 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

What he said!!!!!
Old 08-04-21, 09:48 AM
doobs
Advanced

Already seen the documentation and he's going to provide the replaced parts.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt