SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

High beam / DRL LED replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 06:51 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

They are still bright but I would say about 60%-70% of the day brightness.
Old 10-01-21, 08:35 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

is there an easy place to tap a switched 12v under the hood? Maybe with a tap-a-fuse or something?
Old 10-04-21, 10:30 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

I didn't even bother to look since I used that relay, I connected directly to the battery terminals.
Old 10-04-21, 11:21 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
is there an easy place to tap a switched 12v under the hood? Maybe with a tap-a-fuse or something?
Yes. Fuse box next to the battery. Top right pin of the relay.

The following users liked this post:
joemg (10-04-21)
Old 10-04-21, 11:28 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

For those own the 06+ SC, who want to have a LED DRL but do no want to mess around with the headlights, here is the alternate. I love them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ng-lights.html

Old 10-16-21, 10:26 PM
joemg
Instructor

Side note, incase anyone is wondering, you can remove the "city lights" 194 bulbs without an errors. I didn't like the look of them with a halogen bulb and the LED bulb pattern drew too much attention and didn't look right.
Old 05-19-23, 12:05 PM
joemg
Instructor

I've been revisiting a lot of electrical projects since I'm in that mode at the moment.

I'm going to install the Morimoto LED high beams/DRL that operate at 6v and turn my DRLs back on. That got me researching LED turn signals again.

No one makes a LED flasher relay for our cars specifically, but I wanted to document some pics I found of it incase anyone is curious in the future. Pics are hard to come by.

As you can see from the pics that relay is pretty deep into the dash, but since I'll have a lot of the interior panels off when I do my stereo I might attempt to swap it.

I can't tell if its just a standard flasher relay or if the pins are spaced different. The part number is unique (81991-24010 / EFL-130) as best as I can tell to the SC430.

I looked up the harness itself in the electrical service manual, the part # is 90980-10704.
Attached Thumbnails High beam / DRL LED replacement?-sc430-flasher-relay3.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-sc430-flasher-relay2.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-sc430-flasher-relay1.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-s-l1600.jpg  

Last edited by joemg; 05-23-23 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-19-23, 01:21 PM
joemg
Instructor

Here's the diagram for the signal flasher from the service manual.

I'm wondering if you couldn't just adapt a 3pin LED relay like the one below. Pin "L" goes to the lights. Can anyone more familiar with these manuals confirm which pin is + and which is - in the diagram?

Amazon Amazon
Attached Thumbnails High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9743.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9744.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-61karl8vzil._ac_sl1500_.jpg  

Last edited by joemg; 05-24-23 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-21-23, 09:47 AM
joemg
Instructor

I just installed the Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 9005's and they're flickering on DRL mode even though they're rated at 6v... I read people have used these before, not sure what's different with mine.
Old 05-21-23, 10:49 AM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Yea I haven't figured this out either. My car is still at the shop now and I'm trying to see if I can get my mechanic to just disable the drl. Only cheap option I see are adapters that pretty much give full power to LEDs so your high beams are always on and I guess you lose the brightness difference with actual drl/ high beams
Old 05-21-23, 03:24 PM
joemg
Instructor

I think these might be the only option: https://www.vleds.com/shop-applicati...ing-light.html

$260 is pretty steep, but I guess when you're the only game in town...

I have to think about this and decide if I want to revisit the switchback option instead.

I reached out to Morimoto for support to see if maybe I missed something. I just noticed these https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto...ses?quantity=1

I think we might need this for our PWM signal.

EDIT: Yup, Morimoto said those are required, so I ordered them. I'll update once I install them.

Last edited by joemg; 05-23-23 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-24-23, 10:10 AM
joemg
Instructor

(Still waiting for the PWM module for the DRL to arrive, but in the meantime...)

I emailed VLEDS to see if they had any information on a LED flasher relay for our cars and this is their reply:
Originally Posted by VLEDS.com
Thank you for your email. No one makes an electronic turn signal flasher for the SC430. The issue is that Lexus uses a very oddly shaped flasher, that is not common with any other vehicles.

There is a way around this so that you can use an electronic turn signal flasher!

Example: If you use our CF13-ADJ electronic turn signal flasher: You can make three each 6-inch (Can be longer if needed) long extension wires. Each extension wire has one female connector and one male connector: Then plug in each extension wire to the fuse box (Where the flasher normally plugs into) and the other end of the extension wire connect to the electronic turn signal flasher (Be sure to match up the terminals they are labeled on the flashers). Grab some velcro and mount the electronic flasher to the side of the fuse box or to another relay.

You can find our CF13-ADJ electronic turn signal flasher here:
https://www.vleds.com/shop-products/.../cf13-adj.html
So it looks like I was on the right track. I emailed them back to see if they could confirm the pin configuration for the adapter. "L" is labeled on the OEM relay but not + and -.

If anyone knows the path of least resistance to the flasher relay location, I'm all ears. I've heard if you take the driver kickpanel off you can see it up by the steering column as those pics above show. Anyone know if thats the "easiest" way to access it? I definitely would prefer not to remove my gauge cluster to get to it.

EDIT: They replied back and were very helpful!

Originally Posted by VLEDS.com
Take a look at the two included pictures with color-coded arrows:

SC430 flasher
Orange = "L"
Red = "B"
Yellow = "E"

CF13_ADJ flasher
Orange = "L" match this to the L on the SC430 flasher
Red = "+" match this to the B on the SC430 flasher
Yellow = "-" match this to the E on the SC430 flasher

Just match these up when connecting the wires!

So there it is, finally a solution for LED turn signals on our cars without load resistors.
Attached Thumbnails High beam / DRL LED replacement?-cf13-adj-electronic-flasher-2.jpg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-sc430-stock-flasher.jpg  

Last edited by joemg; 05-24-23 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 09:26 AM
joemg
Instructor

I installed the PWM modules and I have to say I'm not thrilled.

They sort of work... The flickering is a lot more subtle now but it's still there. The bigger issue is that the bulb doesn't appear to dim in DRL mode as advertised, so basically I have my highbeams on all the time now... $260 highbeams running all the time...

I emailed The Retrofit Source to see if I'm missing anything...

Here's a video of the flicker after the PWM modules are installed. Also pics of DRL, low, and high+low.

The lowbeams are Osram Night Breakers, just FYI.

If nothing can be done I will likely return them and switch to these:
https://www.vleds.com/shop-applicati...ing-light.html

They are wired different... they have their own ground and bat 12v you have to wire in addition to the harness. Maybe this is what makes them actually work correctly?

On sale for $210 for memorial day too. I emailed VLEDs to see if they could confirm proper operation.
Attached Thumbnails High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9775.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9777.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9776.jpeg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IPHONE - 1.MOV (12.35 MB, 19 views)

Last edited by joemg; 05-28-23 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-10-23, 09:04 AM
joemg
Instructor

Ok, VLEDS kit is installed AND WORKS!!!! It dims for DRL, it brightens for highbeam, and NO FLICKER. Install was easy, just 2 additional ground wires and one 12v connection. They give you everything you need so it's pretty much plug and play (connectors & terminals on all the wires they give you already).

Bonus pics, I painted the "grill" black.
Attached Thumbnails High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9806.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9807.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9808.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9799.jpeg   High beam / DRL LED replacement?-img_9788.jpeg  

Old 06-10-23, 06:46 PM
bmanone
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

joemg,
I like the grill painted black. I may have to do the same with mine, it's looking a bit rough. The lights look good too, but I think I'll stick with HIDs.

Quick Reply: High beam / DRL LED replacement?