High beam / DRL LED replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 06:50 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by bmanone;[url=tel:11521906
11521906[/url]]joemg,
I like the grill painted black. I may have to do the same with mine, it's looking a bit rough. The lights look good too, but I think I'll stick with HIDs.

Thanks!

Just to clarify, the LEDs replaced the high beam halogen (which is also the DRL), not the HIDs (low beams).
Old 06-13-23, 12:10 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

You over spent on the light that don't get used too often. Now go spend some $ on the supercharger. You should be a good candidate since you got the header & ECU (might need update, i think he'll give free update if you get the supercharger)
use plastidip to paint so you can peel it off if you get bored later on.
Old 06-13-23, 12:24 PM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by digitatc
You over spent on the light that don't get used too often. Now go spend some $ on the supercharger. You should be a good candidate since you got the header & ECU (might need update, i think he'll give free update if you get the supercharger)
use plastidip to paint so you can peel it off if you get bored later on.

I got them as a gift, I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on lights myself. LOL!

Oh don't think I haven't installed that supercharger in my head 100 times over... Its something I might think about down the road when I get a more modern daily. The gas mileage hit would really detract from the somewhat practical highway driving. In my fantasies I think about this CD009 6 speed adapter for the 3UZ: https://xatracing.com/UZ-CD009-Adapter.html

For the grill I used SEM "Trim black Ultra" and SEM satin gloss clearcoat. I actually sourced a spare grill to sand/paint just incase I didn't like it. I have used plastidip on trim before, it can look pretty good but I don't think the grill would have looked oem.

I gave it about 5 coats of paint and 5 of clear. I wanted to make sure it was resistant to chipping.
Old 10-30-23, 09:07 AM
Someone028
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

@joemg How are the VLEDS DRL/HiBeams working after a few months?
Old 10-30-23, 09:22 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Someone028
@joemg How are the VLEDS DRL/HiBeams working after a few months?

No issues, highbeams and DRLs work like originals. Their customer support was pretty good too. They were forthcoming that they had never tried the kit on a SC430 when I emailed them, and I had also asked them about the turn signal flasher relay, since i have LED turn signals sitting in a box I've been wanting to put it. They emailed me back a wiring diagram explaining exactly how to go about it and which relay to use.

I haven't gotten around to doing it because the flasher relay is DEEP up in the dash. lol

If you're considering this, I would recommend waiting about a month, I would be shocked if they didn't have a black friday sale.

also, if you're going to be upgrading lighting, it's worth noting that SC430mods.com has recently released a LED upgrade kit for the pre-facelift lowbeams. I don't have any experience with it, but people seem to like his other products. He's working on a one-touch top up/down as well as rear quarter window controls, I'm dying for him to release those.
Old 10-30-23, 11:13 AM
Someone028
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
No issues, highbeams and DRLs work like originals. Their customer support was pretty good too. They were forthcoming that they had never tried the kit on a SC430 when I emailed them, and I had also asked them about the turn signal flasher relay, since i have LED turn signals sitting in a box I've been wanting to put it. They emailed me back a wiring diagram explaining exactly how to go about it and which relay to use.

I haven't gotten around to doing it because the flasher relay is DEEP up in the dash. lol

If you're considering this, I would recommend waiting about a month, I would be shocked if they didn't have a black friday sale.

also, if you're going to be upgrading lighting, it's worth noting that SC430mods.com has recently released a LED upgrade kit for the pre-facelift lowbeams. I don't have any experience with it, but people seem to like his other products. He's working on a one-touch top up/down as well as rear quarter window controls, I'm dying for him to release those.
I just installed SC430mods HID to LED upgrade and it's great! Will monitor price on VLEDS. Thanks.
Old 10-30-23, 11:20 AM
joemg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Someone028
I just installed SC430mods HID to LED upgrade and it's great! Will monitor price on VLEDS. Thanks.
Very cool.

I'm curious, were the pre-facelift headlights bad? I know they're D2S bulbs not D4S like the 06+. I'm pretty critical of lighting, and I've never had an issue with my HIDs visibility. The LED highbeam upgrade was very nice though.

If you get some time, you should post some pics. I'm sure a lot of people on here are curious.
Old 11-07-23, 10:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm going to take some pics of my headlights this weekend, I actually changed my HIDs to LEDs & loving them. My HIDs were probably getting dim because of age, so the LEDs seem super bright to me. Also because of my setup, I had HIDs in my foglights & changed those also, without any flickering or dash light. I haven't starting looking, but know there are options for the highbeams also. Everything I've done has been plug & play. I did have to buy an adaptor for the foglight setup, because the ballist for those were different than the headlights. The bulbs I'm using are the VAWIT D4S D4R LED BULBS 24000LM....6500K, I got these off Amazon back in August & haven't had a problem with anything. I'll be home thurs/fri & look at everything again, but if I recall correctly, all I had to do was swap out the bulbs. I'm interested in doing the high beams also, to get rid of the yellowish look of the DRL..........also while I'm thinking about it, these bulbs work only in the 06+
Old 11-08-23, 05:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
I'm going to take some pics of my headlights this weekend, I actually changed my HIDs to LEDs & loving them. My HIDs were probably getting dim because of age, so the LEDs seem super bright to me. Also because of my setup, I had HIDs in my foglights & changed those also, without any flickering or dash light. I haven't starting looking, but know there are options for the highbeams also. Everything I've done has been plug & play. I did have to buy an adaptor for the foglight setup, because the ballist for those were different than the headlights. The bulbs I'm using are the VAWIT D4S D4R LED BULBS 24000LM....6500K, I got these off Amazon back in August & haven't had a problem with anything. I'll be home thurs/fri & look at everything again, but if I recall correctly, all I had to do was swap out the bulbs. I'm interested in doing the high beams also, to get rid of the yellowish look of the DRL..........also while I'm thinking about it, these bulbs work only in the 06+
Will you please post a link to the bulbs you purchased…interested