SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is my window moving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-21, 03:32 PM
JW266
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my window moving?

I'm looking for new corner seals and wondering if my windows are misaligned? Too far forward maybe? Or does this look normal?

Old 10-22-21, 04:24 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Hard to do an exact comparison without being side-by-side, but my driver's side window's position looks very similar to that.

Dark here now, but maybe compare to the passenger side?

I haven't worried about it as I use a semi-low powered pressure washer to do my car and there hasn't been any water intrusion.

EDIT: What a dirty & spotted window - I was going to make an eye doctor exam, but now I'm thinking I need cleaning window practice more.
Old 10-23-21, 09:09 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I agree that it is hard to say from the pictures, however I will offer this. The wind noise you likely hear around your mirrors is probably from the tear in the little triangle weather-stripping piece. There's a thread about replacing it. In that thread are also instructions for adjusting the height and angle of the window. All three pictures look fairly normal for positioning.

IMHO, the weather-stripping piece is poorly designed. It receives wear every time the door opens and closes. It is under pressure constantly while the window is up. The passenger and driver's side weather-stripping pieces are different but they cost in the $50 range (or at least they used to). My experience is that they don't last long after replacement, sometimes less than a year. (Others have seen the same thing.) My car is a 2002, so I don't know if they fixed the issue in later models. I've replaced mine a few times.
Old 10-25-21, 05:06 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

It does look a little misaligned which is common with our SC's. The corner piece easily tears. Get it replaced if it bothers you. It is all about what makes you happy.
Old 10-25-21, 10:50 PM
JW266
Rookie

Originally Posted by oneround
Hard to do an exact comparison without being side-by-side, but my driver's side window's position looks very similar to that.

Dark here now, but maybe compare to the passenger side?

I haven't worried about it as I use a semi-low powered pressure washer to do my car and there hasn't been any water intrusion.

EDIT: What a dirty & spotted window - I was going to make an eye doctor exam, but now I'm thinking I need cleaning window practice more.
I'd say mine is very close to yours.
It's just the wind noise that's rubbing me the wrong way. I haven't had any water come in except for that time I went through a touch less car wash.... I really thought my lifelong irrational fear was coming true.

It's the same on both sides, both are torn. I tried silicone.. I tried a couple different types of tape... It's either replace the rubber or modify or remove the mirrors maybe.

That stupid wind noise is like nails on a chalk board in a car that's this quiet. I had to try and find places to add sound dampening lol
Old 10-26-21, 06:54 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

1982-1992 Camaro/Firebird's had this bad design too. Same issues with ripping. That's what you get with frameless windows. Looks good but function is something else.

I used to put electrical tape around it and replace it from time to time.
Old 10-26-21, 08:36 AM
JW266
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC300Es
1982-1992 Camaro/Firebird's had this bad design too. Same issues with ripping. That's what you get with frameless windows. Looks good but function is something else.

I used to put electrical tape around it and replace it from time to time.
Actually had to pull off electrical tape in order to take these pictures.. hahaha. I couldn't care less about how something that I can't see looks. But the wind noise kills me.