SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-21 | 07:34 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Default Motor Mounts

Today I was told by a Lexus tech that I should be thinking about getting my motor mounts replaced (to include the trans mount too).

Although I don't have a totally failed/separated mount (motor doesn't climb enough when revved for that), I do have too much engine vibration for a Lexus V-8 when idling in gear - pretty sure that's a sign of failing motor mounts. I know motor mounts fail more than trans mounts. But if I'm going to do the motor mounts seems like it makes sense to do the trans too even if it's still good and he was just trying to sell me. Maybe I should mention I have 107K miles on the clock.

I searched here on CL, something I don't do well, and couldn't find a DIY write-up. Although I did find a version at a website: flawlessfitment.com He notes in his write-up that he had help from a buddy.
NOTE: Should have searched CL better - the flawlessfitment blog was done by a forum member: KuWuPt

I also did a YouTube search to no avail.

My Question for readers:
A) If I use a Quick Jack (kind of a mini lift, 24" off the floor), and have some tools and skills, is this a DIY job?
B) Or, is this a take it to a place with a real lift, and qualified help at hand, and quit worrying about the extra few hundred in labor?

Last edited by oneround; 11-05-21 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Giving credit where due - KuWuPt
Old 11-05-21 | 05:16 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

I replaced my motor mounts a few years ago at around that same mileage. They hadn't separated yet but showed signs of wear with a few partial rips. I used the official Lexus replacement parts I bought on-line. The Dealer quoted a ridiculous price over $1500 for the replacement of all three mounts using my parts. I did it myself with the help of a friend. We had a full garage lift that made it easier than crawling under & air tools. It took less than 2 hours. The rear trans mount is easy. The engine mounts, especially the driver side, are a bit more difficult. Extensions and swivel sockets will help.
Old 11-05-21 | 06:32 AM
oneround
Intermediate

@FlopTop04 thanks.

A local garage I trust has quoted $407 out the door for all 3 if I bring in OEM parts. I'm mostly worried if only having the car 24 inches up in the air will be enough for the job. On a full lift two guys can get under there and push things around. Not so easy to fit in if you're laying on your back, sharing space with a floor jack to push up on the engine. I have done motor mounts before, but only many years ago when I worked as a mechanic. I have all the hand and power tools.

Since you've done the job, I'm REALLY interested in your feedback.
Old 11-05-21 | 07:33 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Lets see if I can make this work... Here is a link to a previous post about the motor mount replacement :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10643222

Having two people and the car on the lift really made this job go easy. As stated, we didn't remove anything other than the under engine covers. Access is limited with the exhaust, converters and steering linkage in the way. We used an adjustable jack stand and a block of wood to slightly raise the engine one side at a time. You must watch the vacuum hoses, fuel lines and wire harnesses when you tip the engine to ensure you don't go too far. We didn't have to fabricate any special tools but a nice variety of metric sockets, some long, some short or on a swivel were needed.

A 24" lift could work. I see photos of other members installing headers like that, on their back under the car. With only 24", socket extension bars and air tolls might be unwieldly. Not sure what time the Flat Rate Manual gives for this job. I would say $250 plus tax would be OK figuring about 2.5 hours at a reasonable rate.
The following users liked this post:
oneround (11-05-21)
Old 11-05-21 | 10:24 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Not sure what time the Flat Rate Manual gives for this job. I would say $250 plus tax would be OK figuring about 2.5 hours at a reasonable rate.
The local guy told me the manual called out three hours. I'm bringing in Lexus parts, so I'm assuming they added in some sort of hourly rate upcharge since they are billing at $125/hour. Seems high, but I haven't had any non-DIY projects for a few years now, and I haven't the faintest on what local shops are charging per hours when a customer brings in the parts.
Old 11-05-21 | 01:21 PM
oneround
Intermediate

@FlopTop04 Thanks again. Just ordered the parts from Bell Lexus (no tax and free shipping makes it a LOT cheaper than visiting my local dealer.

I will try the rear of the engine/tranny first. Pretty sure that will be OK. Then I'll take a crack at the passenger side (you implied that's a little easier than the driver's side). If that goes OK, then I'll go for the trifecta.
Old 11-05-21 | 01:30 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

I considered doing it myself, but ultimately decided to bring in my parts and have a local shop do it. For me, it was worth saving my time and letting them take on the liability and risk of doing the work. Being under a suspended engine without a lot of experience was too much for my chicken heart.

Amazingly smoother idle after the motor mount change BTW (mine were done at 226,000 miles) Not ripped apart, but starting to crack and separate.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 11-05-21 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-05-21 | 02:31 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Taking it in is what my wife wants me to do. She says at my age I should only be taking on the lightweight projects.

I'm conflicted - admitting I'm not 39 anymore, and take it in. Or, be cheap and attempt a job I know I could have done, and save $400.
Old 11-05-21 | 04:04 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

If you do take it in, be sure to warn them to free the power steering reservoir from its bracket before lifting the engine. Otherwise, they will crack it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Seattle SCone:
Harold57 (11-06-21), oneround (11-05-21)