SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My SC keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21 | 10:56 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

OK, the big question. When I program the key, if I just program the immobileizer and not the remote, do I have a valet key?
Old 12-08-21 | 04:15 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

The answer is No, because your key will open the glove box and the center console. The idea of valet key is you can lock valuable items in center console and prevent the valet attendant from driving your car topless. The difference of the valet key and the regular key is the lips. Regular key has the lips or edges, the valet key does not. This fact makes valet key unable to open the glove box or center console.
The following users liked this post:
RC51 (12-09-21)
Old 12-08-21 | 04:20 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

For those who don’t know the difference between a regular and a valet key, the below infos can help:

1. The regular key has buttons that can remotely lock and unlock doors and also pop open trunk. It also can lock and unlock glove box and center console. The valet key doesn’t have buttons and can not open glove box and center console.

2. They both have the same thickness of .185 and same width of .300, however the valet key is little longer 1.60 v/s 1.50, and thicker at the tip .45 v/s .35.

3. The regular key has lips at four edges, the valet key does not. This difference makes the valet key not able to open glove box or center console.

4. The Valet key can not be designated as a Master key, there for, it can not be used to program a new key.
Old 12-09-21 | 05:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Is their programming box limited to the number of keys it will progrram like the Trifecta tune is?
yes, there is a limit of four keys…keys you no longer have must be deleted.

Old 12-09-21 | 02:50 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

OK, that lets out a used programming box.

The below is talking about a 2006 SC 430
I think this thread says that I can buy a pair of three button keys from "1010", have him cut the blades, THEN do ALL the programming using the open door close door method. (I have a Master key) Thus saving the cost of the "1010" programming.

But doing it that way, how do I remove all but the Current Master key programming from the car or is that just pushed off the end as I add new keys?
Old 12-09-21 | 03:00 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

One more thing. Since the valet key has no electronics does it not require programming, just cutting the blade to match the master?
Old 12-09-21 | 04:11 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

One more thing. Since the valet key has no electronics does it not require programming, just cutting the blade to match the master?
hi Jim, the valet key has a chip which communities with the security system and allows the engine to start.
it has no door or trunk lock/unlock as you know.
it can be used to program a new key.
it also does not have a physical elevated groove on the side of the key which is required to unlock the glovebox or center console.

hope this helps. :-)
Old 12-09-21 | 04:33 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Not reeallly because I still dont kknow if that chip needs programming apart from that the remote keys need.

Maybe ask a different way,
I am aware of the PHYSICAL differences of the two keys. But what I dont know is if the valet key needs programming different from the open/close door method. Are there programming for the valet key, programming for the non remote key and programming for the remote key. Just the F*** how many programmings ARE THERE? Are all of them covered in the open/close door programing? I do NOT count cutting the slot as "programming"
Old 12-09-21 | 04:45 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

There is only one chip for the immobilizer to start the car…all keys have this chip.

there is another chip to unlock or lock the door, only master keys have this chip…it includes the buttons

there is a physical key to lock or unlock the glovebox and console…only master keys have the physical elevated line on the side of the key.

hope this helps…

Last edited by Bgw70; 12-09-21 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-09-21 | 05:26 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bgw70
There is only one chip for the immobilizer to start the car…all keys have this chip.
So all require this programing which can be done with the O/C door method.??

there is another chip to unlock or lock the door, only master keys have this chip…it includes the buttons
So this programming is ALSO available from the O/C door method.

there is a physical key to lock or unlock the glovebox and console…only master keys have the physical elevated line on the side of the key.
This means the blanks are different. So you must buy different key blanks.

That is what I thought but the sellers try to confuse all this so that they can sell you what you dont need.
The final confusion point is, how do you remove old keys from the program IN THE CAR so that you can add the new ones to the car. Without removing your Master key which MUST remain. The other keys that are no longer available must be removed from the cars memory to make room for your NEW keys. OR is it automatic. FIFO
This data comes out piece by piece in a thread so it is no wonder some say it can be done on this moodel or that and it cant on other models.
Probably just the piece by piece dribblinng out of the data that needs to be condensed.
Of couse my attempts to save time and space in my posts contributes to the problem and those that dont read ALL the posts before posting also contribute.
I am an engineer and try to be consise but sometimes that does not work with people that are not engineering types. and I cant spell and I have a keyboard that constantly doubles letters..................
Old 12-09-21 | 06:01 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Jim,

I think much of the confusion over process has to do with variations in model year.

I can't say for your model year, but for the 2002 the factory FSM has the procedure for key programming. It's located under the "Theft Deterrent & Door Lock" section. And in that section under heading #3 it has, "REGISTRATION OF RECOGNITION CODE (not using LEXUS Hand−Held Tester)". It addresses adding, as well as over-writing.

It goes on for three pages of information. Have you gone to the techinfo site and looked at/downloaded any info for your specific model year?
Old 12-09-21 | 06:26 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Have not gone to the tech info site. Where is that?
Old 12-11-21 | 05:41 AM
doobs
Advanced

where did you get your key cut?
Ace hardware. Flat fee of $25.

Just remember there are two parts to this.

The valet key will only get the first part which is the immobilizer. Other keys will get both the immobilizer and remote function programming.
Old 12-11-21 | 07:42 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

I cannot find anyyone that sells the Valet blanks. I did however find someone that sells the full 3 button key with photo cutting of thr key for just $21
Old 12-11-21 | 10:18 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I cannot find anyyone that sells the Valet blanks. I did however find someone that sells the full 3 button key with photo cutting of thr key for just $21
Valet key is hard to come by. I found the seller on EBay.
Here you go. 28 bucks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253455739119

Quick Reply: My SC keys