Old 12-10-21, 06:17 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Comments on Wraping your car.

Wraping a car instead of painting:

PROS

1) Its half the price!

2) Only takes two days and its ready to ride!

3) If you change your mind you can peel it off and go back!

4) It will last 7 to 10 years and that is longer than most people keep a car. If you decide to change colors at 5 years, you are still out less than a paint job. Actually is free if you just go back to the old color..

5) It will protect the old paint job from ageing oxidation and door chips till you peel it off.

6) Repairs are easier than with paint after an "unfortunate incedent"

7) you can do multiple colors and graphics for no extra money. I thought about a flame job on the hood but rejected the idea as too flamboiant.

CONS
1) You will see all the improfections that you never knew were there before, like minor dings on the doors. But that would be the case with paint also. I had no idea that there was some hail damage on the hood, and I dont think the previous owner did either, till I wrapped it in a dark color.

2) That bumper was done in Carbon Fiber texture for just this reason, the bumper was scratched up and I intend to replace it later, but for now the texture hides the imperfections. And the extra color doesnt cost a dime more.

Now, some comments:

1) When you first get it back you may think its got a texture to it (some actually do, like my "Carbon Fiber" bumper....LOL} but if you wait for a week and let it sit in the sun to age, it will loose that texture as the wrap tightens up.

2) If you have some tight curves (like the mirrors), you have to plan ahead so that the wrap is not streached too tight. On mine we had to make the mirrors "two tone" to solve the problem. It actually turned out MUCH better that way anyway. The silver stripe accents the deep blue and makes a nice flow from the silver top to the chrome wheels.

3) As with paint, the surface needs to be free of blemishes before you wrap as they will show through just as they will with paint. I had one chip in the edge of the passenger door that I had to fill with JBWeld.

I hope this helps someone to make an informed decision. I am completely happy with my choice and feel I will be even into the future. Credit goes to WIL44 in London who inspired me when his turned out so well.
Below is a picture of my car before and after the two tone "wrap job" and the last picture is WIL44s car in London that started it all.

My car BEFORE

My car AFTER

WIL44s car, My inspiration.

Last edited by jimisbell; 12-10-21 at 06:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimisbell:
lugnuts (12-13-21), WIL44 (12-11-21)
Old 12-11-21, 07:24 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Thanks Jim, that's helpful.