SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Seat Memory Beep

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 08:57 PM
nbontis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Seat Memory Beep

I think I found the first gremlin with my new '04 SC430.

I am trying to set the memory on the seats and I don't hear the beep that I am supposed to hear. The manual says hold the set button and then #1 down and you will hear the beep.

How long does the beep normally take?

Let me know. Thanks,

Nick
Old 10-05-03, 09:04 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Nick. I thought the same thing because my other Lexuses worked in 'ACC' and in 'N'; not with the SC. It's got to be in 'P' AND switch in 'ON' (or car running, either way). Just hold the 'set' button then your choice of '1' or '2'. Bet it'll work.
What doesn't work on our '04s (at least on my car) is the new feature that supposedly prevents the front seat from slamming on the back one; mine does slam, even after doing the 'reset' routine in case of battery disconnection. I don't particularly care about that, but make sure your passenger doesn't do it because my car was with the seat jammed when I picked it up and the leather on the back seat is permanently 'wrinkled'. Not a huge deal, but would prefer it smooth, ya' know.

Take care.

JC
Old 10-06-03, 10:54 AM
dsimo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There also seems to be a connection with when the door is opened, or perhaps if someone is sitting in that seat. For example, with the ignition and and with the car in Park, when I reach over and push either of the two settings on the passenger side, the seat won't move; but if I open the passenger door, then I think it works. The manner in which the seat memory buttons work (or don't work) is probably my biggest pet peeve with the car. Why I can't set the seat memory while I have the car in drive--you know, when I'm actually driving the car and I've finally got the seat exactly where I want it--is beyond my comprehension.
Old 10-06-03, 11:10 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

It probably has to to with a legal "cover your ***" type thing with Lexus. I'm sure somewhere along the line some stupid idiot pushed the seat preset while driving and it squished them to a position they couldn't drive safely and they ran over a bunch of orphans and elderly people crossing the street. So, that car company was the one to blame for that person's stupidity (of course) and therefore got their ---s sued off. It's like the navigation screen you can't use while driving. I understand the safety ramifications of a driver keeping his/her eye on the road, but couldn't they make it swivel to the right, so when it was in that position the passenger could use it and the driver wouldn't be able to see it?? Then you could have your passenger use it and the car would know the driver wasn't the one using it. Oh well, I'll shut up now. I guess if that's the only problems we have with this car, we should be happy.

Doc C
Old 10-06-03, 11:41 AM
dsimo
Driver

Thanks, Doc, that certainly puts it into perspective!

By the way, just had the NAV system in my (wife's) BMW upgraded to the most recent revision (the computer, not the CD). Now every time you start the car you have to "accept" using the NAV screen. SInce the NAV screen is shared by the sound system controls and the on-board computer, this is a huge hassle. Thankfully, Lexus has seen fit to separate these functions.
Old 10-06-03, 01:13 PM
nbontis
Driver School Candidate

I tried the "set" button again while in Park with the car on.

It still does not work. I don't hear anything and the seat does not move.

It does not work for either driver or passenger side.

Could this be an electrical or fuse issue?

Nick
Old 10-06-03, 01:35 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the reason the car must be in Park to change the seat settings is because the steering wheel position may also change - not a good idea while driving. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think you can change the steering wheel position while the car is in motion even on cars with a manual adjustment mechanism. I'll have to try it on my Outback ... in the church parking lot. ... on a Wednesday.

Sometimes safety procedures are really a good idea. Now, if you want to complain, then complain that the procedure should allow everything to change except the steering wheel when the car is not in Park. Of course, that will just lead to other complaints.

nbontis ... are you keeping the Set button down while you you push the #1 (or #2) button? Or are you doing this in sequence. When you do this, the seat, steering wheel, and outside mirrors do not move, they are "set" in their current position.
Old 10-06-03, 01:39 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Default Don't forget to do this:

Make sure that your foot isn't on the brake either, even though you are in "Park".
And while you hold down "Set" first, keep your finger on the button, then hit "1".
It should immediately beep, then release.
The brake pedal is the most common thing that people do so that the memory won't work.

Originally posted by nbontis
I tried the "set" button again while in Park with the car on.

It still does not work. I don't hear anything and the seat does not move.

It does not work for either driver or passenger side.

Could this be an electrical or fuse issue?

Nick
Old 10-06-03, 03:23 PM
jcramair1
Lead Lap

My wife's SC430 seat memory will not set either. I do not know why?
Old 10-06-03, 03:39 PM
nbontis
Driver School Candidate

I tried with the foot off the break as Longo Lexus suggested, still nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be electrical / fuse?

I would definitely have them fix it when I go for my first initial check up.

Nick
Old 10-06-03, 03:57 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Assuming you are following our directions exactly, it is supposed to work. I suggest you take it back to the dealership and have them take a look. It is definately broken.

1. Engine on
2. Adjust seat/steering wheel to desired position
3. Have in "Park" position
4. Take foot off all pedals
5. Press "Set" button
6. While still pressing "Set", press "1"
7. Car will "Beep", release both buttons at same time

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 10-06-03 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 07:10 PM
dsimo
Driver

I still swear there is some connection with opening/closing the door. I know that I've not been able to set or move the seat, opened/closed the door, and then it worked. This occurs on both driver's and passenger's door. But maybe I did have my foot on the brake (seems counterintuitive given all of the built-in safety features).
Old 10-06-03, 07:23 PM
FWCruiser
Driver School Candidate

Default The solution

Hey guys, Look on page 147 of the owners manual, second column near the bottom. This is the answer. Any time the battery is disconnected you must go through this procedure. This is a new thing for '04.
1. Move the seat forward until you hear a beep.
2. Move the seatback angle switch forward until you hear a beep
3. Set the memory now.

The salesman tried to help me set the memory and couldn't. Had to get a service guy to do this.
David
Old 10-06-03, 07:58 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey David, now that you're on the subject, that 'reset' routine is supposedly not for the memory feature (although it very well could be; many errors in the manual), it's for the new 'anti-slam' feature, but it doesn't work on my car.
Can you try it on yours?
After you hear those 'beeps', if you push the front seat all the way back, it shouldn't slam on the back seat using 2 methods: if you slide it back too far, the rear cushion should rise to avoid hitting it, Or If you recline the seatback too much, the seat should slide forward, with the same results. Mine slams against the seat every time, on both seats. The change was that '03s and prior had limited seat travel and limited seatback reclining, so they never hit the rear seat, and folks complained of insufficient seat travel.

I don't really care about this feature, other than when I picked up my car, the passenger seat was slammed hard against the back seat, and now the leather is permanently wrinkled (thanks to the wrinkled map pocket behind the front seat). Tried leather conditioner, to no avail. Oh well.

As a last comment, I don't consider myself a tall person at 5'10" (and just 30" of inseam), but I find myself with the seat all the way back (barely touching the rear one), the telescope feature all the way back, and I barely clear the roof with my head (not much hair left folks, even at 41). I feel sorry for taller people.

For all '04 guys: please let me know if the 'anti-slam' feature works on your seat. Now that I think about it, I actually kept rolling the seat and seatback all the way forward, even after the 'beeps'. Maybe I should have stopped right at the 'beep', huh? Let's see what you guys come up with.

JC
Old 10-06-03, 08:15 PM
FWCruiser
Driver School Candidate

JC, As I said, on page 147 all that it is talking about is the memory control system. And it did work on my car. It would not let me set the seat memory until I went through this procedure. Actually, the service guy did it while I watched.
As to the anti-slamming feature I don't know. I have not seen any mention of this in the manual, though I do know this was to have been the change for 2004.
David

Quick Reply: Seat Memory Beep