SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cheap Aftermarket woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-22, 09:50 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Cheap Aftermarket woes

Picked up my new to me SC430 in September 2021.

Not long after got a check engine light and found one of the plastic tubes on the VSV for CCV was cracked. Couldn't source a good replacement without buying a whole airbox thing. So, I went to an Injen Intake (and because I like the sound) along with an OEM VSV that fits a Camry.

Not long after got another check engine light - found a couple of cracked vacuum lines. So, I replaced all the vacuum lines under the hood as well as going with a new PCV valve and OEM hose. While I was doing that, I decided might as well swap out the VSV for Evap (also sometimes called canister purge. valve) so all the under hood evap parts would be new.

Fast forward and I'm getting a Check Engine light (with evap codes) on a random basis, sometime quickly, sometimes weeks apart. I figured this had to be a VSV failing and guessed I would soon be visiting the charcoal canister and replacing the VSV for Pressure Switching Valve.

Today was diagnostic day for me. Turns out the new in October aftermarket VSV for Evap had failed. I should have known better, but I fell prey to the idea of getting the solenoid for about 1/3 the OEM price. Not sure I can count high enough for the number of times I've heard that many of Dorman's products suck. Lesson re-learned about buying cheap electronic items.

I ordered an OEM VSV today.
Old 01-09-22, 11:36 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad that you found the problem finally. That check engine light evap code problem can be quite pesky and tough to determine sometimes.
Old 01-09-22, 11:56 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

Glad you sorted it out.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for when it comes to replacement car parts.

If I can source something off of Rock Auto that I know is from the same manufacturer as the OEM, I'll do that, otherwise spend the money and only cry once...
Old 01-11-22, 03:13 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by oneround
Picked up my new to me SC430 in September 2021.

Not long after got a check engine light and found one of the plastic tubes on the VSV for CCV was cracked. Couldn't source a good replacement without buying a whole airbox thing. So, I went to an Injen Intake (and because I like the sound) along with an OEM VSV that fits a Camry.

Not long after got another check engine light - found a couple of cracked vacuum lines. So, I replaced all the vacuum lines under the hood as well as going with a new PCV valve and OEM hose. While I was doing that, I decided might as well swap out the VSV for Evap (also sometimes called canister purge. valve) so all the under hood evap parts would be new.

Fast forward and I'm getting a Check Engine light (with evap codes) on a random basis, sometime quickly, sometimes weeks apart. I figured this had to be a VSV failing and guessed I would soon be visiting the charcoal canister and replacing the VSV for Pressure Switching Valve.

Today was diagnostic day for me. Turns out the new in October aftermarket VSV for Evap had failed. I should have known better, but I fell prey to the idea of getting the solenoid for about 1/3 the OEM price. Not sure I can count high enough for the number of times I've heard that many of Dorman's products suck. Lesson re-learned about buying cheap electronic items.

I ordered an OEM VSV today.

I did the same thing on my 2GS300, I wanted to "refresh" old parts with new ones because I thought I was being proactive. I trashed an OEM MAF sensor since it had over 200 thousand miles on it and replaced it with the Dorman one. Needless to say, I got stranded and did not understand why since I had just replaced parts. I had it towed to the dealer and it ended being a failed MAF sensor. Now I only get OEM.

Took the "L" and turned it into a Lesson.
Old 01-11-22, 08:16 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts

If I had removed a perfectly working MAF sensor I would have cleaned it and put it in the trunk so I would not have been towed!