SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front Strut Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 10:05 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 354 Posts
Default Front Strut Question

So I ordered new OEM front struts for my sons 05 SC430. The guy he was going to have install said it could not do it. He said he could not install safely without the machine that allows for it to be done safely. He thinks he should return the struts and get the entire assembly. This sounds like BS to me. The son is not a wrench turner. I cannot see any reason the front struts cannot be replaced without the entire assembly which I am guessing would include the springs. Am I wrong? He was trying to do this in the son's garage not on a lift. I also ordered the replacement rubber fittings.

Help Please before I call the son back and call BS.

Dennis
Old 01-19-22, 10:37 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

It can be done safely but you should know what you're doing first. Otherwise it could be hazardous to your health. Buying them with the springs already on them will definitely make it easier.
Old 01-19-22, 11:07 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Harold57

Here is the link to the Lexus parts for the front suspension for an 05 SC. Tell me which part I should have ordered? I ordered the front struts which were $161.xx each. There does appear to be a strut assembly which includes a spring?

Struts & Components for 2005 Lexus SC430 | DiscMonster (discountpartsmonster.com)

Dennis
Old 01-19-22, 01:30 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

No, the sc430 does not come with the entire strut assembly. Either from the factory or as an aftermarket. I have been looking for an assembly for years because it makes the job easier.

As far as the struts you bought, they can be replaced safely; however the job requires a spring compressor (which can be rented from auto zone) This is how all cars used to get their struts changed.

There is a greater risk associated with using a strut compressor, so from that viewpoint it is less safe.

If your son and his friend are doing it in their garage, it would make sense the friend doesn't want to change them out the old way. Like I said, I have been looking for a company that makes the complete assembly because the job is easier.
Old 01-19-22, 01:38 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

tell your son to get a real mechanic, problem solved. This current guy is lazy.
The following users liked this post:
The Ikon (01-26-22)
Old 01-19-22, 03:45 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Well I educated myself this afternoon in the world of struts. I now agree with the son's guy and the son should take the SC to a garage with the proper equipment to do this job. I do not think renting a spring compressor from Autozone is the safe way to go. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Dennis
Old 01-20-22, 10:28 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Going OEM, then from what DashinDaryl says, no you can't find them preassembled. Going non-OEM, yes. Check out MeisterR struts for the SC430.

Another thing you can do is to remove the strut/spring assembly and take that to a garage and have them swap the strut out and then you can put them on the car. It will cost a little bit to have a garage do that but not near as much as having them do the entire job.
Old 01-20-22, 10:49 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Harold57

I recommended to the son that he find a shop that will allow him to bring in the strut tubes that he already purchased and install them. He is in a place where he has more money to pay to have it done than the experience or time to do it himself.

Dennis
Old 01-20-22, 05:02 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
Going OEM, then from what DashinDaryl says, no you can't find them preassembled. Going non-OEM, yes. Check out MeisterR struts for the SC430.

Another thing you can do is to remove the strut/spring assembly and take that to a garage and have them swap the strut out and then you can put them on the car. It will cost a little bit to have a garage do that but not near as much as having them do the entire job.
Harold, you got me all excited about the Meister R's. Like I said I was looking for a long time for the whole assembly. But at $1999, it is a little too rich for my taste. Also, I am not to excited about coil overs.

Still they look awesome if you are looking for coilovers
https://www.meisterr.com/products/me...0-uzz40-01-up/
Old 01-20-22, 05:03 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
He is in a place where he has more money to pay to have it done than the experience or time to do it himself.
Doctors are like that.
Old 01-20-22, 05:14 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

You only need the ZetaCRD for most situation. GT1 is for tracking. It was $999/set before all this inflation madness, now $1245.
https://www.meisterr.com/products/me...0-uzz40-01-up/
Old 01-20-22, 05:54 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

DshngDaryl

He is not a Doc. But he is a retired Police Officer with 22 years on the job and a MBA.

Dennis
Old 01-20-22, 05:59 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Harold 57

Thanks Harold but those Meister R struts are a little pricey.

Dennis
Old 01-21-22, 04:50 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

My meisterr crd’s have been great. Stock suspension valuing design was poorly done IMO. Too little low speed compression dampening so the car blew through the travel and bottoms badly on driveways and scratched the underneath Side of the bumper pretty badly. The stock stuff deflected off sharp edges, Too much high speed compression dampening.

i turned the Meisters to full soft. Bounces on the springs. No dampening just springs. Slowly I have been adding dampening to the front and back.

went to five all around. Still springy. Went to 6 then 7 then 8 then today to 9. Now its much plusher. The dampening now is starting to smooth out the springs bouncingness. Turns out it seems to be needed.

will turn it stiffer until its too stiff. I almost thought i needed the oem longer springs for smoothness. Which may be a long term change.

Jerrick says that the MeisterR CRD’s have the same 6 and 12 spring rate as oem just shorter.

I may have some resistance in the changed sway bars as i did not put on bushings with zirc fittings and if there is firiction between the bar and bushing it stiffens up things.

yers this is a lot of tinkering but if it turns out to be plush and firm that would be worth the work.

my opinion is that the amount of low mile sc430’s around is because they drove poorly. Wandered. Noisy tires. Bad shock settings and 40 series tires.

i went to 45’s and gave up some of the really aggressive handling ability. If i fix the ride quality to a great degree maybe a set of 40;s might work.

i bought some 2016-2019 rx 350 rims that are black powder coated this week to mount instead of the chromed 08 pb rx350 rims just for the black out new style. Black lung nuts and centers.

i want to make sure that the sway bars are not influencing the ride.

Worth the effort as the car is a keeper so far. And IF i were to sell it a perfectly fixed driving car should bring a premium.

Go with the MeisterR CRD’s IMO.

no way to address the shocks bad design otherwise.

I can charge driveways now.

Much more fun. It’s fairly neutral in turns. No understeer or oversteer. Could use variable ratio steering which did not come on the car.

wonder if a geared variable ratio steering system from a optioned ls 460 would fit?

Old 01-22-22, 06:42 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Did the coilovers do anything to help the large amount of understeer dialed into the car?

Methinks this would be more of a sway bar thing, but it would be helpful to know.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Front Strut Question