SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Hot Air Out from Under Dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-22, 01:52 PM
mostrogt3
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Hot Air Out from Under Dash

Was wondering if anyone know what is causing hot air to come out from under the drivers side foot well. This only occurs when I have the top open. Checked the firewall to see if there were any grommets missing but no avail. Not sure if it has to do with any heater core running under the dash. Any suggestions on what it could be? The heat is insane!
The following users liked this post:
fishinmagi (03-28-22)
Old 02-26-22, 06:37 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Does it happen with the a/c on or have you turned off the a/c? If the a/c is off, there is still passive air flow that occurs that tends to be warm unless you turn the temperature way down before turning the a/c off.
Old 02-26-22, 09:24 AM
mostrogt3
Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
Does it happen with the a/c on or have you turned off the a/c? If the a/c is off, there is still passive air flow that occurs that tends to be warm unless you turn the temperature way down before turning the a/c off.
It happens with the top down and a/c off. As for the temp I always keep it on 65 and on recirculate. Read some other treads that make it about a "function to turn air flow from floor vents ON automatically when the retractable hardtop is housed".

This is supposed to be one of those customized settings a Lexus dealer can perform on the car.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-22, 11:04 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

There are a couple of C-Best settings that you could play with:

FOOT AOUT OPER (Foot Air Out Operation)
Function to turn the airflow from floor vents ON automatically when the retractable hardtop or soft-top is housed.

FOOT DEF MODE (Foot/Defrost Auto Mode)
Function to turn the airflow from the floor vents ON automatically when defrost AUTO MODE is ON.
Old 02-26-22, 11:13 AM
mostrogt3
Driver

Function to turn the airflow from floor vents ON automatically when the retractable hardtop or soft-top is housed.

Function to turn the airflow from the floor vents ON automatically when defrost AUTO MODE is ON.
Sounds maybe something I can look into.

I'm in Miami FL so the Defrost will never be used and me be the best option to go with.

Is this something the dealer has to do or is it something that can be done as a DIY?
Old 02-26-22, 11:26 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I've never messed with these but I believe that you can tweak a few of these with the TechStream. Some of the other guys can better answer that (like BGW or GmanSC).
Old 02-26-22, 11:30 AM
mostrogt3
Driver

I've never messed with these but I believe that you can tweak a few of these with the TechStream. Some of the other guys can better answer that (like BGW or GmanSC).
Thanks for the chime Harold.

I will look into the TechStream application.

Hopefully additional info gets posted by other members.

Old 03-26-22, 06:07 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Harold,

Clarification. The OM says the "Jet Vents" under the drivers dash only activate when the top is down. Can that feature be shut off using the techstream in the customization menu? Please advise.

Thank you,

Tom
Old 03-28-22, 10:38 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I'm remembering that there is a C-best parameter for the passive hot air during top down drives but I'm just not sure. (I'm not at home so I don't have access to my information.) If you do a search on the forum for the C-best information, you'll find that someone has posted it on this forum in the past. Just pull it up and go through the list, you'll likely find other stuff that you'll want to adjust also. Seems like GmanSC made a few tweaks using his Techstream at one time.
Old 03-28-22, 12:35 PM
fishinmagi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This happens to me too. I haven't played around with the techstream settings yet but like others have said that might do the trick. I have just been putting the AC to blow on the floor and that makes cold air blow through the footwell
Old 03-28-22, 06:34 PM
neecharles
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

04 SC. I had to replace my O2 sensors all four of them because a mechanic diagnosed my check engine light saying the O2sensors were bad. ever since that time there’s been heat blowing under the steering and it’s driving me crazy. I can’t seem to figure it out, if anybody has any idea I’ll appreciate it, thanks.
Old 03-28-22, 09:37 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

I don’t think there is a setting in TechStream for directing the air flow of the vents. I have not done such adjustment or tweaking.
Old 03-29-22, 05:08 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by mostrogt3
Sounds maybe something I can look into.

I'm in Miami FL so the Defrost will never be used and me be the best option to go with.

Is this something the dealer has to do or is it something that can be done as a DIY?
Harold is correct…turn both setting off using TechStream. I turned it off and the hot air issue went away.
here is the link to an older thread.
BTW, the stickies have a tremendous amount of information along with the search function.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post9015920
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SC430 LPS C-best settings.pdf (477.1 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-29-22 at 05:13 AM.
Harold57 (03-29-22)
Old 03-29-22, 05:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by neecharles
04 SC. I had to replace my O2 sensors all four of them because a mechanic diagnosed my check engine light saying the O2sensors were bad. ever since that time there’s been heat blowing under the steering and it’s driving me crazy. I can’t seem to figure it out, if anybody has any idea I’ll appreciate it, thanks.
@neecharles
please provide more information…
can you change the temp, hot to cold?
does this happen all the time, roof up or down?
do you hear odd noises from the dash?
neecharles (03-30-22)
Old 03-29-22, 05:27 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone!

Best,

Tom
neecharles (03-30-22)