SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Very Dissapointed with VAIS Technology quality and service

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-22, 03:47 PM
SeaStories
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Very Dissapointed with VAIS Technology quality and service

I'm not one to go around bashing people or companies on the internet, but my experience with VAIS Technology has been so bad that I do not want other forum members to suffer the same frustration as me. I'm a big music fan, so the first thing I did to my 2002 SC430 when I got it a couple of years ago was add an aux input to it so I could listen to XM and Spotify from my phone. I decided to go with VAIS because their product gave me what I needed and allowed me to keep everything looking stock. I hadn't even really driven the car because the pandemic lockdown started a few days after I got my tags. I put in the VAIS, and shortly thereafter the sound from the stereo started cutting in and out. I had had the car at the dealer for the airbag recall around the same time, so I thought a tech may have loosened something in the dash, so I took my dash apart and checked all the connections. Then I asked the dealer, and they said I had a bad amp, I guess based on the symptoms. I bought an amp on ebay, put it in, and same problem.

I stupidly assumed that the problem must be with my 20 year old car--not the brand new aux input device. However, once the new amp didn't fix the problem, I took out the VAIS, and everything worked great. The VAIS was still under warranty, so I contacted them and they sent me either a new unit or a new cable or both, I can't remember. That's fine. Stuff happens. A few weeks later, a new problem developed. All the speakers on the left side of the car started cutting in and out, but mostly out. Then, I stupidly thought its a different symptom, this is a twenty year old car, so there must be something wrong with the Lexus. I was sick of pulling the head unit out and nicking up the leather dash and risking breaking the clips that hold the trim in, so I gave up on it for a while.

One day, I was lamenting my stereo issues to my sixteen year old car nut son, who is wise beyond his years, and he said its probably that janky aftermarket aux input you installed, not something wrong with your Lexus. I pulled out the VAIS and, just like the last time, everything started working, and has been fine ever since.

The warranty for the VAIS was over by the time I realized I got a second defective product from them. I emailed them and explained the situation, acknowledged I was out of warranty, and asked if they could do anything for me. I was polite and did not make any threats. Its been a few months now, and VAIS never responded. If they even wrote me back and said they were sorry, but they can't help me, I would not be writing this post. (I'd just pipe in if I saw someone experiencing similar issues here on CL.)

Now I'm gun shy about trying anything else and I've been listening to CDs and through a bluetooth cassette adapter (which does not sound very good). Eventually, I will start looking for a quality alternative.

I suggest you look elsewhere for an aux input adapter, and if you already have a VAIS, if you start having problems with the stereo, the first thing you should do is remove it.

SeaStories

The following users liked this post:
The Ikon (03-06-22)
Old 03-03-22, 07:29 PM
doobs
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

That's interesting.

I had a similar experience with Grom.

The Bluetooth adapter I bought from Maricio at GTA Car Kit works beautifully.

So there you go.
The following 2 users liked this post by doobs:
implantgs4 (03-04-22), SeaStories (03-04-22)
Old 03-04-22, 04:46 AM
SeaStories
Driver

Alas, @doobs , I just checked the GTA Car Kits site, and they only have the adapter for 2005+ models.
Old 03-04-22, 04:56 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

Send them a message. It wouldn't surprise me if Maricio had a solution.

I can send you an email later today if you are interested.
Old 03-04-22, 05:56 AM
SeaStories
Driver

@doobs I am interested. Thanks. Send me a PM.

SeaStories
Old 03-05-22, 04:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

I installed the BeatSonic in my 2002 and 2007…I have never had an issue.
https://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/...c-mva-12l.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
SeaStories (03-05-22), The Ikon (03-06-22)
Old 03-07-22, 07:43 AM
bmanone
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

SeaStories,
I tried the GTA Car Kit on my 2002, unfortunately it was not compatible with my OEM head unit. Mauricio at GTA was great to work with and gave me a full refund. If the GTA kit doesn't work for you I found a work around that works and sounds great, but it involves some some soldering modifications to an aftermarket Toyota Ipod adapter. Keep us posted on your progress. P.S. I kept the Toyota Y Big Cable (ToyotaYBigCable) adapter from GTA so the door for the navigation still functions with the Ipod adapter in place.
Barry
SeaStories (03-14-22)
Old 03-14-22, 09:07 AM
SeaStories
Driver

Thanks, @bmanone . I've got some other projects going on now, but I'm intrigued by the ipod adapter option.
bmanone (03-21-22)