Tick Noise from Drivers Door Check

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22, 08:01 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Tick Noise from Drivers Door Check

Hi All,

My 06 SC430 with 44,000 miles has developed a tick sound when opening the door all the way. I traced the noise to the hinge pin under the black cover at the body. I soaked the pin with silicone spray but the noise is still there. Interestingly, I removed the hinge pin cover on my 2012 RX350 and the hinge pin has a nylon bushing in the center that the SC does not.
Any ideas?

Thank you,

Tom
Old 04-12-22, 08:12 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps a different lubricant???
Old 04-13-22, 05:23 AM
Cinc04
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The noise may be coming from a couple of areas of the door check. 1 - My door had a noise that sounded like you were cracking your knuckles when the door was opened or closed. The door check was worn after thousands of openings and closings. The door check connects the door to the body and provides the "detents" which allow the door to "hold" at certain points. Over time the hinge pin that goes through the door check strap wears the strap. In my case, the wear was so bad that there wasn't any lubricant that would have solved the problem.

The noise drove me crazy. I removed the door panel, removed the speaker, and removed the 2 nuts that attach the check to the door and the bolt that attaches the check to the body. You can reach through the speaker opening and remove the check.

You can buy a replacement check for about $100. Just for the heck of it, I ground off the head of the hinge pin and punched out the pin. It appeared that there is a nylon(?) bushing in the connection. It had completely disintegrated. I bought a nylon bushing at the local hardware store, replaced it, and put it all back together. I did have to do a little "machining" on the bushing to get the proper dimensions, but that was no big deal. The door is now nice and quiet.

Will it last? I don't know. Would it have been easier to just buy a new check? Sure, but I am cheap. If I have any more problems, I'll get a new check. Below is a photo that shows the check and I've noted the hinge pin.

2- At the end of the strap, there is also a piece of rubber that provides a "rebound" when the door is completely opened. On my door check, the rubber had worn but was still okay. I would guess that if this rubber is completely gone, it would click when the door was opened to its widest point. There would be a metal-to-metal contact that would cause that type of sound. In that case, you would need to replace the check. It would be next to impossible to repair. I've also noted on the photo where this rubber "rebound" is located.

Tick Noise from Drivers Door Check-nosfhvf.jpg
Old 04-13-22, 05:27 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Cinc04,
Thank you for that most comprehensive response to my question regarding the drivers door check tick when fully opened. I think the nylon busing covering the pin on the body side of the door check wears out and drops out. You are correct. It looks like the fix is too see if a new dealer supplied check comes with the nylon bushing. My 2012 RX 350 has the identical door check and it has the nylon bushing surrounding the pin!

*****Update: After a few days of non-use, the silicone spray must have worked its way into the pin joint because the noise is now gone!!!*******

Best,

Tom

Last edited by tiglesias; 04-18-22 at 04:33 PM.