SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC playlist - what are your favourite driving tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-22, 10:25 PM
Studog
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default SC playlist - what are your favourite driving tunes?

I am a bit of a music lover - everything from opera to punk.

Clarkson used to like "love song" long version by Simple Minds ( apt no?)

Being an aussie I am quite biased.

Perhaps we can share a few tunes that some of us dont know or have forgotten. Tunes that really hit the spot on the road.

In the hills on a winding road and the top down, any number of great aussie bands of the 70s 80s or 90s feature in my vehicle so heaven help you if you are in the passenger seat!

Aussie gems, in no particular order: - but all 70s.

Spectrum -I'II be gone

Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs - Most people I know think that Im crazy

John Paul Young - Yesterday's hero

The Masters Apprentices - its because i love you

Daddy Cool - Eagle Rock

Daddy Cool - Come back again

ACDC - Highway to hell - High Voltage ( hell any acdc song of the 70s is good)

Sherbet - Summer Love

Little River Band - Its a long way there - Help is on its way

John Paul Young - Love is in the air

What have you dudes or dudettes got zinging through your speakers?
Old 05-20-22, 11:52 PM
tmakogon
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

We all probably listen to what we grew up with, so it differs. The first thing that came to mind as a driving music was Kylie Can’t get you out of my head.
Old 05-21-22, 12:01 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For me it’s: Third Rate Pomace, by the Amazing Rhythm Aces. Probably not political correct in todays world, but a damn good song and band.
Old 05-21-22, 09:37 PM
Studog
Driver

Kylie? As in Kylie Minogue? ohhhhhh mate. I was never able to stand that jumped up little.........

I tried the Third rate Pomace and not bad.
Old 05-22-22, 04:29 AM
whlng88
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Studog
I am a bit of a music lover - everything from opera to punk.

Clarkson used to like "love song" long version by Simple Minds ( apt no?)

Being an aussie I am quite biased.

Perhaps we can share a few tunes that some of us dont know or have forgotten. Tunes that really hit the spot on the road.

In the hills on a winding road and the top down, any number of great aussie bands of the 70s 80s or 90s feature in my vehicle so heaven help you if you are in the passenger seat!

Aussie gems, in no particular order: - but all 70s.

Spectrum -I'II be gone

Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs - Most people I know think that Im crazy

John Paul Young - Yesterday's hero

The Masters Apprentices - its because i love you

Daddy Cool - Eagle Rock

Daddy Cool - Come back again

ACDC - Highway to hell - High Voltage ( hell any acdc song of the 70s is good)

Sherbet - Summer Love

Little River Band - Its a long way there - Help is on its way

John Paul Young - Love is in the air

What have you dudes or dudettes got zinging through your speakers?
Andrea Bocelli’s Vivere CD album is my favourite. Top down, windows up n volume loud. 👍👍 La Voce Del Silenzio n Melodramma suit the M Levinson system well

Old 05-22-22, 08:23 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

The Eagles unplugged.
Old 05-22-22, 09:41 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

One of my faves:

Saw the show live onstage at the Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans. Tina Weymouth was way pregnant in the show, but she didn't miss a beat with the bass sitting up of top of the baby bump.
The following 2 users liked this post by doobs:
DaveGS4 (06-13-22), JTho (05-26-22)
Old 05-22-22, 06:11 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I reside in Adelaide Australia. Being a '46 baby I grew up with the likes of Bill Haley and the Comets, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, and the list goes on and on. And of course "The King ELVIS". I sang in a Band starting in 1963 till 1968 and I was called up for National Service, ('68-'70) The songs we did were mainly for Jiving, and of course some slow ones for a bit of belly rubbing. My two favorites songs were "Blue Suede Shoes, the Elvis version and Crying from the Big "O" Roy Orbison. As much as I didn't care for the '70s music at the time, I really appreciate it now because it's not just 12 bar. I have 4 cars and I have them on different stations for music. My 1960 Ford T.Bird is on channel 1323 which plays only '50s - '60s music.
Chris......From OZ.
Old 05-22-22, 06:40 PM
Studog
Driver

I love that pic of the CD Whing. I will give that Andrea a whirl while I polish the bugger today.

Eagles unplugged - pretty special.

Doobs, I saw them in Tokyo and they were awesome. A great night. We had a guy in our group - a yank always who reckoned he had played with a few famous bands. We always poo poo-ed his claims. That night Byrne leant over the stage and not only said hello to him but asked if he wanted to get on stage and play. He got a bit more respect from us after that.

Has anyone inserted a cassette tape? Does the ML system eat the tape like such systems did in the past? I have a bunch of tapes sitting around.

Chris, g'day mate. I havent been in SA for years.I dont listen to the radio any more. I cant stand all those narcissistic muppets spruiking nonsense.

Old 05-22-22, 07:05 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Great topic--music! I know my list is eclectic, but to name a few of the favorites I blast on my ML system (in no particular order):

Beach Boys: Wendy, I Get Around, California Girls
Doobie Brothers: Without You,
Joe Cocker: High Time We Went
Sheryl Crow: All I Want to Do
Counting Crows: Mr. Jones
The Kinks: Do It Again
Stevie Ray Vaughn: The Sky is Crying, Little Wing
Loggins and Messina: Changes
Crosby Stills and Nash (Young): Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Carry On, Deja Vu
Steely Dan: Reeling in the Years
Gregg Allman: Multi Colored Lady
Todd Rungrin: Just One Victory, Black Maria, Little Red Lights
James Taylor: How Sweet It Is, Up On the Roof
U2: Beautiful Day
Sting: If You Love Somebody
Hall & Oats: Sara Smile
Mountain: Mississippi Queen
Boston: Rock and Roll Band
Led Zeppelin: Ramble On, No Quarter, Going to California
Sublime: What I Got, Bad Fish
Van Morrison: Into the Mystic
Steppenwolf: The Pusher
The Animals: San Franciscan Nights
Moody Blues: Nights in White Satin
AC/DC: Thunderstruck, Back in Black, It's a Long Way to the Top (for top down driving!)
Queen: Liar, Stone Cold Crazy
Cream: Crossroads, I'm So Glad
The Byrds: Eight Miles High
Peter Frampton: Lines on My Face
Humble Pie: (I Don't Need) No Doctor
Simon & Garfunkle: Homeward Bound
Paul McCartney: Jet
The Beatles: Get Back
The Monkeys: Daydream Believer
John Lennon: Mind Games, Starting Over
Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter
Buffalo Springfield: Mr. Soul
Badfinger: No Matter What
Joni Mitchell: Chelsea Morning, Big Yellow Taxi
Judy Collins: Both Sides Now
Jackson 5: ABC
Bob Dylan: Shelter From the Storm
Tower of Power: What is Hip
Blind Faith: Sea of Joy
Yes: Close to the Edge
Genesis: Selling England by the Pound
Grateful Dead: Scarlet Begonias
The Who: My Generation
Santana: Soul Sacrafice
Hendrix: Voodoo Child
Camel: Lady Fantasy
Kate Bush: Running Up that Hill

And too many more to list!

Old 05-22-22, 11:48 PM
Studog
Driver

Far out Wilson, that is an awesome list. Lemme know when you need a passenger.

Please forgive this indulgence, but when I went to be with the gf at the time in LA years ago. She was rich and I was poor (nothing much has changed there! haha), she rented a Roller convertible for a week. When we drove down the highway there with the radio on - California girls by the Beachboys came on. I looked at the blonde next to me, and at the car, the sun was out, i had arrived just days earlier from where it was cold wet and windy and had left my beat up old Holden Kingswood wagon with a screwdriver for the column shift in my old man's driveway and I thought wow I was living inside my tv set! I never thought the stuff i saw on tv was real. Mate, you guys had such a great country back then.

Those Dylan albums Highway 61 revisited and Blood on the tracks really hit the spot.

Whlng, I did give Andrea a go this arvo while polishing the beast. My missus opened the internal garage door and was like "are you alright?". So, I think I will give that a miss in future.
Old 05-23-22, 12:43 AM
whlng88
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Far out Wilson, that is an awesome list. Lemme know when you need a passenger.

Please forgive this indulgence, but when I went to be with the gf at the time in LA years ago. She was rich and I was poor (nothing much has changed there! haha), she rented a Roller convertible for a week. When we drove down the highway there with the radio on - California girls by the Beachboys came on. I looked at the blonde next to me, and at the car, the sun was out, i had arrived just days earlier from where it was cold wet and windy and had left my beat up old Holden Kingswood wagon with a screwdriver for the column shift in my old man's driveway and I thought wow I was living inside my tv set! I never thought the stuff i saw on tv was real. Mate, you guys had such a great country back then.

Those Dylan albums Highway 61 revisited and Blood on the tracks really hit the spot.

Whlng, I did give Andrea a go this arvo while polishing the beast. My missus opened the internal garage door and was like "are you alright?". So, I think I will give that a miss in future.
Haha Studog, don’t give up. Maybe try a softer approach… Bocelli in duet with a lady singer. Or maybe safer to try later in the year. He has great Christmas songs too. 🤣

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iCJgy5E5eME

Old 05-23-22, 10:38 PM
Studog
Driver

I have so many awesome stories and had some off the richter experiences when i stayed in the US all those years ago. You dudes were absolutely fantastic people! I had never met people so well dressed, so well groomed, so smart, driving nice cars living in palaces compared to our dungeons back home. Hell, I thought a guy was trying to steal our car when i drove into a restaurant in LA. Turned out he was a "valet". I had never heard of or seen one before. He turned out to be a good surfer and a good mate. We Aussies at the time were still emerging from our holes like moles.

Now there's a great song title! Sorry for the deviation from the music.

In honour of what Australia was: Gangajang - This is Australia( Sounds of then )

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-13-22 at 01:57 PM. Reason: No politics
Old 05-24-22, 03:18 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

In honour of what Australia was: Gangajang - This is Australia( Sounds of then )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML9h...&start_radio=1
While your link didn't work for me, I played your Gangajang song in my Apple music account. It was light, and catchy, definitely "Australian sounding," but a little too pop for me to add it to my library.

I failed to list another favorite Beach Boys song: 409. Any musicians out there who could do a parody for us...430? I'd be happy to do the rewrite on the lyrics, but I gave up drums and guitar years ago, and my once mediocre singing voice is getting worse with age!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-13-22 at 01:58 PM. Reason: no politics, you know better
Old 05-26-22, 10:27 PM
Studog
Driver

Well a shout out to the mods wont go astray then! Thank you mods. All things related to the SC are ok I take it.

So, I know you guys have been waiting for the next instalment (90s next). But, my 70s music list was just the lemon next to the pie ( name the movie that line came from for extra points - Cali based dudes should get that in a heartbeat.)

Now its worth noting that i dont listen to the same kind of music i do at home as i do in the SC. I dont know who else does the same. Whling, I tried a couple more of Andrea. He has a nice voice, but he is a tad too precious and pretentious in his persona and music for me. Have you ever enjoyed Bartoli and Fleming singing Le Nozze di Figaro - Sull'aria? A beautiful piece in that operatic style that probably hit its zenith with the Three Tenors. - this is home music to me though.

I like some oooooomph when in the car. Some kind of emotional engagement that gets the heart-rate up a bit.

These are all what i would call Aussie classics and aussie classic bands.I was in a few bands at the time and saw all these guys playing back in those hazy days. We had the most blokey music on the planet at the time i think.

Cold Chisel - Cheap wine

Sunny Boys Happy man

Hunters and Collectors - Say Goodbye

The models - I hear motion ( turn to 11)

The Lime Spider -Weirdo Libido (turn to 12 on the volume)

The Hoodoo Gurus - Bittersweet ( turn to 13!) Whats my scene ( 14) Toured with the Bangles in 81 if i remember for those who liked those ladies

Cold Chisel - Saturday Night

Spy v Spy - Dont tear it down

Painters and Dockers - Die Yuppie Die

Warning for Wilson - a lot of these tunes are what you might term "pop"

Quick Reply: SC playlist - what are your favourite driving tunes?