SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

One Touch Top Operation

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-22, 01:42 PM
doobs
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts
Default One Touch Top Operation

Did a cursory search of the archives and nothing jumped out at me.

Has anyone given thought to a mod to do a one touch top actuation?

I'm gettin' lazy in my old age and holding the button down seems ridiculous.

Seems like a couple of properly wired relays would do the trick.

Would need to make certain to enable some sort of stop action.

What think the braintrust?
Old 06-02-22, 04:57 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 215 Likes on 104 Posts

It's possible. I incorporated that function with my Viper remote start system. The Viper has 4 AUX outputs that can be set to output a (-) signal for a set number of seconds. I used two AUX outputs, one to open and one to close the SC430's top. Each operation took a different number of seconds. Anyway, for your top open only scenario...

Basically you measure that number of seconds that you hold the button on OPEN to fully open the top. Using a Directed Electronics 528T Pulse Generator, you trigger it with a simple momentary switch that outputs a (-) signal that triggers the 528T. The 528T has an adjustable potentiometer that sets its' output pulse time. There will be wire connections to switched (+) 12 volts, chassis ground, the momentary control switch and the vehicle wire that actually opens the top.

Here is a link to the Directed 528T Install Guide :
N528T_01-05.qxd (directeddealers.com)

Here is a link to a YouTube video on using the 528T :

Here is a link to the Install Pictorial on the Viper system into my SC430 that shows the OPEN Top wire and it's location :
2002-2007 Lexus SC430 Remote Start w/Keyless Pictorial (the12volt.com)

Last edited by FlopTop04; 06-02-22 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 06:48 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

What if you like to stop half way so as to clean the rear window or lube some plastic or rubber around the edges? I like being in control.

--
Old 06-02-22, 07:37 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

What if you like to stop half way so as to clean the rear window or lube some plastic or rubber around the edges? I like being in control.

--
If you only wanted to add that !/2 open function to clean the rear window, just set the 528T pot for the correct time pulse that would open the top that far. You could even add a second 528T with control switch to close the top from the 1/2 way position, too.
Old 06-02-22, 07:41 PM
Studog
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Gee Flop, you must be fun at parties.

What you wrote was impressive...or would be if i could understand it.
The following users liked this post:
Stuckn60s (06-23-22)
Old 06-02-22, 08:13 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
If you only wanted to add that !/2 open function to clean the rear window, just set the 528T pot for the correct time pulse that would open the top that far. You could even add a second 528T with control switch to close the top from the 1/2 way position, too.
--

But that means I would have to touch the button two times instead of one. That's too much effort. Much better that I jimmy around with the top electronics to make it more complicated and be a real cheap repair if I need to have the dealer fix something rather than just leave it the way it is now. I mean, what could go wrong?

--
Old 06-03-22, 04:18 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

But that means I would have to touch the button two times instead of one. That's too much effort. Much better that I jimmy around with the top electronics to make it more complicated and be a real cheap repair if I need to have the dealer fix something rather than just leave it the way it is now. I mean, what could go wrong?

--
Wow. Talk about being fun at parties...

While not what I originally envisioned, Flop's idea has merit.

Was just wondering if it had been done before.

I'm going to work through it, but not right now.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-03-22, 09:54 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

The luxlinks Steve made up allow that function.. mean of me as they are not available unless someone is selling one? Plus quarter window control with his version 3, remote start and remote top operation.
Old 06-03-22, 12:44 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts

I like it the way it is so that I dont close a kids fingers in it because I am not attentive. The way it comes.factory. means that a child screaming will cause me to stop pushing the button and maybe even reverse it.
ronkelley (06-20-22)
Old 06-06-22, 05:51 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

PAC TR-7 universal trigger output is what I was told will work for one touch operation. Had it sitting in my eBay basket for about two years now just haven’t pulled the trigger to try wiring it in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29190626401...mis&media=COPY
Old 06-06-22, 10:11 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
PAC TR-7 universal trigger output is what I was told will work for one touch operation. Had it sitting in my eBay basket for about two years now just haven’t pulled the trigger to try wiring it in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29190626401...mis&media=COPY
will this work with opening the roof?
It must have a dual purpose because it says it’s for Alpine radios.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-06-22 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 12:10 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

The PAC TR-7 is another way to do it. Think I mentioned it in a post on this very subject a couple of years ago*. The PAC TR-7
is a fairly flexible module that has 16 different operational modes. Option 2 is for an Alpine Trigger. Depends on what you want
to do using various input polarities and timed outputs. Here is a link to the PAC TR-7 Install Guide.

https://catalog.pac-audio.com/index...._attachment=68

Option 15 will work for top open. The Timer for the timed output can be set from 1 second to a max of 4 minutes and 15 seconds,
so a ~23 second output to open the top is possible. Additionally, instead of installing a momentary switch to initiate the top opening,
you could connect the TR-7's input wire to monitor the actual SC430 Top Open switch wire and set the TR-7 to function after 2 or 3 quick
presses of the Top Open switch ( within 5 seconds ). This would be similar to the LuxLink routine.

* Link to earlier post :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10848814

Last edited by FlopTop04; 06-06-22 at 12:14 PM.
Bgw70 (06-06-22)
Old 06-07-22, 11:39 AM
khuong
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The PAC TR-7 is another way to do it. Think I mentioned it in a post on this very subject a couple of years ago*. The PAC TR-7
is a fairly flexible module that has 16 different operational modes. Option 2 is for an Alpine Trigger. Depends on what you want
to do using various input polarities and timed outputs. Here is a link to the PAC TR-7 Install Guide.

https://catalog.pac-audio.com/index...._attachment=68

Option 15 will work for top open. The Timer for the timed output can be set from 1 second to a max of 4 minutes and 15 seconds,
so a ~23 second output to open the top is possible. Additionally, instead of installing a momentary switch to initiate the top opening,
you could connect the TR-7's input wire to monitor the actual SC430 Top Open switch wire and set the TR-7 to function after 2 or 3 quick
presses of the Top Open switch ( within 5 seconds ). This would be similar to the LuxLink routine.

* Link to earlier post :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10848814
Do you happen to have the pinout for the Climate Control module for the Open/Close Switch for roof?
Old 06-07-22, 01:23 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

While I have the SC430 Electrical Wiring Diagram manual, it's a little hard to follow and I can't find a diagram of just the AC Control plugs pinouts.

What I did is pop that panel out of the dash and took some photos of the wires needed for this mod.

Below is the AC Control panel removed from the dash with the three connectors shown. The connector A10 is the one with the roof control wires and is indicated.

Next is a photo of the A10 plug with the OPEN and Close wires marked.

The PAC TR-7 ( or DEI 528T ) would supply a basic (-) signal to either the open or close wire for the correct / programmed time to perform the operation.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 06-07-22 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-07-22, 01:49 PM
khuong
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

While I have the SC430 Electrical Wiring Diagram manual, it's a little hard to follow and I can't find a diagram of just the AC Control plugs pinouts.

What I did is pop that panel out of the dash and took some photos of the wires needed for this mod.

Below is the AC Control panel removed from the dash with the three connectors shown. The connector A10 is the one with the roof control wires and is indicated.

Next is a photo of the A10 plug with the OPEN and Close wires marked.

The PAC TR-7 ( or DEI 528T ) would supply a basic (-) signal to either the open or close wire for the correct / programmed time to perform the operation.
Appreciate the response mate, I thought it was the last connector (big one) thank god. I'll test it with multi meter to verify since I got an 2008. I tried looking through the documents I had, but they never showed the whole thing. I'm going to whip up something so I can one touch it via my Android HU, since there are a few gpio pins free on it still -- Or just hook it up to my existing Viper for Remote open/close -- still got 3 more aux connections on it.

Quick Reply: One Touch Top Operation