Passenger Lock Just Replaced - Wont Unlock w/ Handle

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 05:51 AM
Mayor111
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Passenger Lock Just Replaced - Wont Unlock w/ Handle

Hey Guys,

I just had my passenger lock replaced as it wouldn't lock or unlock with the FOB. Now that its fixed, it works perfectly with the FOB but when locked and exiting the car, when you pull on the door handle, it doesn't unlock. I do the same thing on the driver side and it unlocks when I pull the handle - but not on the passenger side. I looked for a child lock button, but didn't see anything. Am I missing something to get the door to automatically unlock when opening the door?
Old 07-08-22, 07:17 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 561 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Hey Guys,

I just had my passenger lock replaced as it wouldn't lock or unlock with the FOB. Now that its fixed, it works perfectly with the FOB but when locked and exiting the car, when you pull on the door handle, it doesn't unlock. I do the same thing on the driver side and it unlocks when I pull the handle - but not on the passenger side. I looked for a child lock button, but didn't see anything. Am I missing something to get the door to automatically unlock when opening the door?
Press the unlock button on your fob TWICE . It will unlock all doors. Safety feature.
Old 07-08-22, 08:23 AM
Mayor111
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Press the unlock button on your fob TWICE . It will unlock all doors. Safety feature.
Thank you but that is not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to unlock the door when pulling on the door handle when someone is sitting inside in the passenger seat just trying to exit the car. I find it very odd that it's designed to have to press the unlock button to open the door.
Old 07-08-22, 09:07 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

Thank you but that is not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to unlock the door when pulling on the door handle when someone is sitting inside in the passenger seat just trying to exit the car. I find it very odd that it's designed to have to press the unlock button to open the door.
Good morning Sir. You have a pretty simple problem that requires removal of the door panel. There are two cables that are attached. One green and One white. One of them is probably not properly seated/connected in it's cable track point. It's just a groove that holds the cables. You can't mix them up. They are different sizes. If you are not familiar with removing the door panel, there are several You tube video's that are extremely useful. Roll down the window first. Then remove the triangular cover for the tweeter by pulling gently from the top. You cannot remove the door panel with the side glass in the up position. But this is about a 20 min job. Gather a Philips screwdriver, some plastic panel tools so you don't damage the switch holder or armrest skin when you pop it out. 7 Philips screws and two push pins. Tilt the panel up and gently push up starting from the back. It may take a little bit of force. Once its off, then you can see the two cables and make sure they are in their correct location. Good luck.

Paul
The following users liked this post:
Mayor111 (07-08-22)
Old 07-08-22, 09:33 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 561 Likes on 428 Posts

I think your driver’s door linked door function is OFF. Try the procedure below to turn it on.

1. Close both side doors and switch the ignition to ON.
2. Perform this step in 20 seconds
Shift the selector level to N, press and hold the driver door lock switch for 5 seconds then release.

When the setting to ON, both side doors are locked then unlocked.

Let’s know if this solves your problem .

Last edited by GmanSC; 07-08-22 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-08-22, 05:29 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Hey Guys,

The door lock actuators are a common wear out item…it’s the little $5 motor that gets tired and the problem usually shows up when the car sits in the sun.

anyway, the passenger door should unlock and open when you pull on the inside door release lever.
I just confirmed it for you on my 2007.
just bring it back to the installer to correct the problem,..I agree with paul, he probably left the cable off for the inside door lever…
let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-10-22 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-10-22, 07:12 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I agree with Paul & BGW, the cable was left unhooked or not properly hooked up. Take it back and explain the problem to the mechanic. They should be able to fix that in about 20 minutes.
Old 07-10-22, 02:29 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 215 Likes on 104 Posts

Agree, bring it back.

While hopefully it's just an un-connected or misadjusted cable, it could be a broken cable, cable plastic tab or the retainer. My SC430 had that problem and it was the cable plastic tab. The whole lock assy had to be replaced ( $300 part ). They are easy to break because you must hold the inner door panel with one hand while to you unlatch the cables with the other during disassembly. One slip and it could be disaster...