SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Quantum remap review

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 03:04 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Quantum remap review

I'm always doubtful of performance claims. I've been running the remapped ECU for a week now. Normal mode seems to be a little more responsive. It wasn't supposed to change. No problem. When power mode is selected there is pronounced increase in speed. Down shifts are much quicker, a really great benefit to the remap. The SC is terrible when pulling into traffic from a stop while making a right turn. That is gone. I would like to check 0-60. I downloaded a couple apps. They were so lame making them unusable. Seat of the pants says the acceleration is much improved. Bottom end is much improved, although, it will never have tire shredding low end torque of an SS396 or Chrysler 440. Cars like Chevy Sparks and Kia Rios won't be able to jump me on takeoff now.
You don't need to leave it in power mode use it as needed. Enjoy the Lexus smoothness and calm demeanor when in normal. Enjoy an edginess in power mode. The performance gains are for real. $300 is a steal for the remap, I wish I had made the move earlier.
Old 08-09-22, 09:19 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

welcome to the club. got mine done almost 2 years now. Wish the road is flat and no cop
Old 08-10-22, 06:03 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

I have finally gotten to the point where I can actually think about something like this. I'm finally running out of things to fix. And the throttle lag drives me nuts.
How long was the ECU gone? She's my daily driver and my other car is going to L.A. soon with my kid to college.

Paul
Old 08-10-22, 01:33 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

Default Turn around time

Long story.
I was hoping to buy a replacement ECU. I didn't want down time. There are only so many nice days here at Columbus Oh. I wanted to buy and then get refund when my old one was received. Brandon doesn't like to do that. Tracking paper work is a pain. Brandon sent me a remapped ECU for $300 plus shipping charges, trusting me to return my old one. He didn't have an ECU when I ordered. He must have found one or had a batch arrive. I ordered on I believe wed and recieved on mon. I couldn't believe it arrived so soon. I was home all day mon. The postman claimed he tried to deliver and left a card in the mailbox at the road. Not so bad. We planned a trip to lake Erie on Tuesday. The post office was on the way. The top is down we drive two lane roads to Castalia Bluehole and feed the trout. Next stop Port Clinton and Jolly Roger for fish and onion rings. Best onion rings ever. We moved on to the light tower. I tell the nav to go home and then ignore most the directions. Make a legal u turn, I always expect some profanity and never get it. It was beautiful day, low 80's and sunshine. We do a little I 71 we are home. Wed. I install the ECU and drive around a couple of days. Every thing works right. Tried to ship old ECU on Fri. To late PO is closed tried Sat to late PO closed at noon. I forgot to mention Brandon sent a return label with the ECU. I could have stiffed Brandon on the return and sold the ECU on eBay, many people would have done that. Not me.
The dealing with Quantum and Brandon could not have been any better. I highly recommend their service.
Old 08-10-22, 02:08 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

Default Turn around time

Sorry power outage. Needs ten words. If I could I would delete.

Last edited by Cavedog; 08-10-22 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Power outage lost internet somehow got posted
Old 08-10-22, 06:06 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

How fiddly is removing the ECU? Is there a step by step guide to do it? I don't even know where the ECU is. I am sure I can do it, but I just want to do it properly without bricking anything. Any changes with MPG? I have been missing the low end torque of AMG V8s.
Old 08-10-22, 06:20 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

Tools needed: a 10 mm socket wrench or nut driver or boxend wrench and a philips screw driver. Remove - battery cable, three screws on cover, two nuts on ECU, five connectors, pull ECU swap four screws and two brackets to new ECU. Reverse process, put key in switch turn to run not start wait thirty minutes, start car. Done
No change in mileage as long as don't alter your driving technique.

Last edited by Cavedog; 08-10-22 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-10-22, 06:21 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Front left engine bay, next to the fuse, 1 or 2 bolts, less than 5mins to install
If you use a different/spare ECU you will need another 30mins to register the keys.
Old 08-14-22, 08:33 PM
Mike205
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavedog
Tools needed: a 10 mm socket wrench or nut driver or boxend wrench and a philips screw driver. Remove - battery cable, three screws on cover, two nuts on ECU, five connectors, pull ECU swap four screws and two brackets to new ECU. Reverse process, put key in switch turn to run not start wait thirty minutes, start car. Done
No change in mileage as long as don't alter your driving technique.
Actually, one does not need to remove the battery cable as long as a key is not in the ignition while removing the old ECU and installing the new ECU. Per Elzner and that is exactly what did recently. Also, prior to inserting the key in the ignition to pair the master key to the immobilizer, one needs to jump the 4 and 13 slots on the OBD2 port. I made a more detailed post on the SC430Mods Facebook page and will try to link that tomorrow.

I acquired my SC 430 in early May and the throttle lag was driving me crazy. I really loved my car before I got the remap, but I truly missed the quickness and responsiveness of my 328ic BMW that I gave to my daughter when I got the SC. With the remap, my lethargic SC has been awakened and is now quick and responsive. Elzner has done a great job with the remap and it safe and reliable.
Old 08-15-22, 06:36 AM
Squidgme
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Cavedog, I just checked the Quantom site and don’t see (can’t figure out) which ECU tune you got? I have had my SC for a couple months now and the lag is really bugging me. I get in my 2014 Accord 4cyl with 180hp that has better throttle response and I’m scratching my head.

Please take a look and let me know which one it is, I can’t wait to get it done!

thanks,
Squid

Old 08-15-22, 06:57 AM
Mike205
Rookie

I received the remap of my 2003 SC 430 ECU by Brandon Elzner of Quantum Auto Tuning. Shipment was very prompt and safely packaged! Other than my self-induced stress of ensuring that I did the install and pairing of my master key to the immobilizer correctly, the install was easy, straightforward, and successful.

Of course I had to take a test drive right away. The difference was immediately noticeable and astonishing! I am not one of those guys that is going to be burning rubber, but, as much as I love my SC 430, I really missed the quickness of my 26 year old BMW 328ic (I gave the BMW to my daughter when I got the SC). To cut to the chase, the remap gives me the quickness that I missed. I also ordered the optional ECU which ran the total cost to $519, shipping included. Frankly, it is the best $519 I have ever spent. My lumbering SC has been awakened!

Here are some salient points for those who are considering getting the remap from Quantum Auto.

1. As long as one does not have the key in the ignition (and, therefore, certainly not in the on position), one does NOT need to remove the negative cable from the battery to do the install.

2. After successfully pairing a master key to the immobilizer ALL of my other keys also work like a champ, including all the buttons on the two master keys. My second master key, valet key, and wallet key also work like a champ.

3. I found it helpful, because I have OCD, to take a photo of the top of the stock ECU before removing all the connectors. That may not be necessary, but it gave me comfort to know the orientation of the ECU and how all the connectors were plugged in.

4. Be very careful unscrewing the brass screws on the brackets holding the ECU in its box. They are very soft. I slightly damaged one and used vise grips to break that one free. I can’t believe Lexus used Phillips head screws right there.

5. The immobilizer routine has to run for at least thirty minutes, with the ignition on. Your dash will light up like a pinball machine. It would be a good idea to ensure that your headlights, radio and nav unit are off before starting this process. It would also be wise to hook up a battery tender before starting the process. Obviously, the process would fail if the battery ran out of juice before completing the routine. If that were to happen I don’t know what that also might cause, but that is not something I wanted to experience.

In summary, I am absolutely thrilled with my remapped ECU. Kudos and thanks to Brandon Elzner of Quantum Auto. Also kudos and thanks to Calvin Azzola and Robert Bonina of SC430Mods for their information, video and endorsement of the remap. If you don’t want to spend the money for the remap, consider the throttle controller from SC430Mods. The SC 430 car needs to be awakened.
Old 08-15-22, 06:58 AM
Mike205
Rookie

To add, Phillips head #1 did a better job than #2.
Old 08-15-22, 07:07 AM
Mike205
Rookie

Originally Posted by Squidgme
Hey Cavedog, I just checked the Quantom site and don’t see (can’t figure out) which ECU tune you got? I have had my SC for a couple months now and the lag is really bugging me. I get in my 2014 Accord 4cyl with 180hp that has better throttle response and I’m scratching my head.

Please take a look and let me know which one it is, I can’t wait to get it done!

thanks,
Squid

I did not understand which options I wanted so I called Brandon Elzner of Quantum Auto Tuning to discuss. His number is 209-303-4214. While on the phone I had the order page up on my iPad and went through each option, made my selections then added to the cart, filled out the personal info and credit card info, then ordered. He was very helpful throughout the entire process.
Old 08-15-22, 08:15 AM
Mike205
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cavedog
The SC is terrible when pulling into traffic from a stop while making a right turn.
Man, you are spot on! My son’s Toyota Camry with a 4-banger is more responsive than a stock SC 430. So is my Toyota Tundra with a 4.7 engine. But not any more…the remapped ECU has awakened my SC!
Old 08-15-22, 09:36 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Hi friends, I'm not sure on this model(SC430) if you have a separate "Immo box" aka immobolizer ECU that sores the keys info or if the keys info is stored in the Engine ECU.

On other models like my Gen 2 RX330 starting in 2004(and up) they use a separate "immo box" to store the key info while the RX300 for years 2003(and under) had the key info stored in the ecm.
This forum is for SC430 2001 to 2010 so I am guessing somewhere in those years things changed for this model too but don't know what year it happened.

For newer models that stores keys info in the "immo box", the "30 minute key on pairing procedure" must be done every time the Engine Ecu is swapped.

The "30 minute key on pairing procedure" Pairs the "immo box" to the Engine Ecu by writing special data to eachother and once paired, you can't just hot swap a spare Engine Ecu without going thru the pairing procedure again.

To get around this, I relocated the"immo box" on my car to where I could reach it conveniently and bought a spare "immo box" dirt cheap on ebay.
Now I have two Engine Ecm's and two "immo boxes" so when I need to swap Engine Ecu's I also swap the "immo box" that already paired to it- no 30 minute pairing needed cuz they are already paired to eachother.
Hint- must pair each "immo box" to each Engine Ecu and install as a combo, done!

If your "immo box" can be relocated, hot swapping the Engine Ecu's with already paired "immo box" is so much easier and faster.

Here is the link of my journey if it helps anyone: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...xperiment.html

Quick Reply: Quantum remap review