SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Paint Defect

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 12:33 AM
ekovalsky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Paint Defect

Look what showed up on my 3 month old SC430...

Talked to the dealer about this, said that Lexus has to "approve" any paint repairs under warranty. They better fix this! I'll be complaining up a storm if they tell me that bubbling and peeling are "wear and tear" or accuse me of damage.

This is an area of about 2-3 inches on the bumper part of the passenger wheel well. Just noticed it today, probably it will grow until it is fixed.

Attached Thumbnails Paint Defect-paint5a.jpg  
Old 10-17-03, 06:38 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to add fuel to the fire but from the looks of the picture, it seems like something (perhaps a rock plate) was run over while driving on the road, and that impacted the affected area. Just hope that you can get away with Lexus repairing the noticeable damage under warranty. If not, you could file a comprehensive claim and get the damage repaired then. Might not be the best solution, but it should work.
Old 10-17-03, 08:23 AM
ekovalsky
Rookie

what "noticeable damage" are you referring to? all I can see is peeling paint. there is no damage to the underlying metal or rim around the wheel well. i haven't run over anything that I'm aware of and all the roads around here are pretty good...
Old 10-17-03, 08:32 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

The damage I'm referring to is what appears to be small scrapes along the upper portion of the area. I can definitely see the peeling paint along the middle portion; that's probably a result of the scrapes. I could be wrong though, I'd have a better idea of how the damage looks if I see it in person
Old 10-17-03, 02:43 PM
ekovalsky
Rookie

Good eye, Lexusk8. Actually what you are seeing is a hair or fiber stuck to the paint, not a scratch. I'm glad you pointed that out. I'll take more pictures (without the fiber) and send them to the dealer and district manager...

There are several areas in the same panel where the paint has not peeled but there are palpable "bubbles" under it. For some reason it does not seem to be adhering to the underlying metal or plastic. The peeling started in along the margin of the wheel well but I suspect it will expand.
Old 10-17-03, 04:46 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ekovalsky
There are several areas in the same panel where the paint has not peeled but there are palpable "bubbles" under it. For some reason it does not seem to be adhering to the underlying metal or plastic. The peeling started in along the margin of the wheel well but I suspect it will expand.
Those bubbles underneath the paint are what's called "orange peel", a rather familiar paint defect straight from the factory. This is usually an example of a crappy paint job. Whoever painted that portion from the factory probably did not take proper steps in making sure the paint consistently adheres to the metal of the body. You can get the orange peel buffed out by the body shop, preferably one suggested by a Lexus dealership.
Old 10-24-03, 06:07 PM
Lexls400
Driver

Hey,

What part of the car is the pic showing? Sorry I can't really tell.

Thanks,
-Joe
Old 10-25-03, 12:27 AM
ekovalsky
Rookie

It was the rear bumper along the back side of the wheel well.

Just picked up the car from the dealer today. They took it to their body shop and stripped/repainted the entire bumper. They admitted "there were major problems with the paint" and work was performed under warranty. It was getting dark when I picked it up so I'll have to check their handywork tomorrow. From what I could see under the fluorescents in my garage (not kind to the black paint) it appeared fine.

Now if they could only get rid of the last 10% of the door rattle.... they worked on it again, said they added more foam, but it still makes noise. But, I can only hear it now when I've got the volume up moderately high.
Old 10-25-03, 07:56 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Known problems with paint

Ekovalsky ,

Please elaborate on what the dealer says are "major problems with the paint"

I have stone chipping like no other car I've owned from Lexus or other vehicle mfg. This is why I had to install Armorglove all over the hood and other areas.

Dealer repaired the stone chipping, but it was a poor job, and Armorglove was installed over it. So far Lexus CS has refused to assist in this matter. Bottom line is that I would be required to pay for removal and replacement of the Armorglove while they repair the chip area. Problem I have with Lexus CS responce and lack of support is that the dealer missed the other chips that I highlighted with a black china marker. Armorglove installation was coordinated by both myself and dealer service manager, in which he said send Armorglove.

I'm nor happy with Lexus resolution on this matter, so any info will help.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 10-25-03, 10:16 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default Deanski's Armorglove

Deanski; which franchise did you use to install the Armorglove?
Old 10-26-03, 06:08 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Armorglove

I used the one in Greenwich, CT for Armorglove. Did a great job!

Regards,
Deanski