SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What's up with my brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 01:41 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts
Default What's up with my brake light?

I pulled my SC430 out of storage after about 8 months. I had to replace my 5 year old AGM Battery, but other than that, it started right up.

Today as I was driving I noticed my brake light on my dash would go off and on.

I pulled the brake release and it did not make a difference.

I set the brake and the dash light did not go on.

My question to you is, "Should the dash light have gone on when I set the brake?"

Think it is a dirty brake pedal contact?
Old 10-26-22, 02:16 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I pulled my SC430 out of storage after about 8 months. I had to replace my 5 year old AGM Battery, but other than that, it started right up.

Today as I was driving I noticed my brake light on my dash would go off and on.

I pulled the brake release and it did not make a difference.

I set the brake and the dash light did not go on.

My question to you is, "Should the dash light have gone on when I set the brake?"

Think it is a dirty brake pedal contact?
It could be the brake switch contact but it also could be your LED on the PCB goes bad.
Old 10-26-22, 05:18 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GmanSC
It could be the brake switch contact but it also could be your LED on the PCB goes bad.
Interesting thought. It seems like it would always be out though.

Does the brake light indicate low brake fluid or anything?

Is it a precursor to the dreaded Brake Pump Failure?

Are there wear sensors on the brake pads?
Old 10-27-22, 06:23 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 165 Posts

I know my brake light was intermittent when my fluid was low. Filled it up and no more light.
Old 10-28-22, 09:51 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

If all else fails, disconnect your battery for a reset, however you will lose your presets. Good luck.
Old 10-28-22, 10:30 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I know my brake light was intermittent when my fluid was low. Filled it up and no more light.
if not low fluid, could it be a burned out brake light?
Old 10-28-22, 04:35 PM
Cinc04
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

DshngDaryl,

I read and re-read your post and I hope I understand the issue. You are talking about the red, “BRAKE” indicator light in the left instrument pod?

If so:

Check the brake fluid level. If you are slightly low, the light might come on and off as the level goes up and down as the car moves.

However, that wouldn’t explain why the “BRAKE” light does not come on when you set the parking brake. I have a 2004 model. I went out, started the car, and set the parking brake. The red, “BRAKE” indicator light came on and when I released the parking brake, it went off.

I wonder if your parking brake position switch is bad, dirty, out of adjustment, or has a bad connection. You said you had the vehicle in storage. Maybe something chewed on the wiring?

From my year 2004 owners’ manual, page 42, (a) Brake System Warning Light and Buzzer:

“This light comes on in the following cases when the ignition switch is in the “ON” position.
  • When the parking brake is applied.
  • This light comes on for a few seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the “ON” position even after the parking brake is released.
  • If you drive your vehicle without releasing the parking brake, the buzzer sounds.
  • When the brake fluid level is low.
  • When the hydraulic brake booster fails ...
If the hydraulic booster causes a problem resulting in poor braking performance, the warning light comes on and the buzzer sounds continuously”.
According to my year 2004 owner’s manual, page 218, “The brake pad wear limit indicators on your disc brakes give a warning noise when the brake pads are worn to the extent that replacement is required”. So that wouldn’t cause any lights to go on or off.

Lastly, if it isn’t the brake fluid level or the position switch: In my owner’s manual, page 40, it says “that if you get the “BRAKE” or the brake sensor indicator or buzzer and the parking brake is off, stop immediately and contact Lexus dealer”.

Old 10-30-22, 08:45 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to check it yet, but I think it maybe the fluid level causing my brake light to flicker. When I put air in my tires, I noticed my brake pads were quite thin.

As far as the light not illuminating when the brake is set, I have not had time to check that either.

I think there maybe two issues going on. I haven't set my parking brake in a loooooong time, so it may have had a problem for a looong time and I just never noticed it.
Old 12-11-22, 09:44 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

So it turns out it was the brake fluid level. I noticed it went on when I was going up a hill. When I got around to filling it, it was very low.

Which leads me to my next question. I know my pads have worn down, but could there be a leak in my brake system?

In the dreaded Master Cylinder failure, was a leak of fluid involved or is it just failure of the MC?
Old 12-11-22, 12:14 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 107 Posts

I've never had all four sets of pads go low at the same time to know how low the brake reservoir goes, but that might be your only issue. Think I would plan on doing a very good visual inspection of the brake lines at each wheel while replacing all four sets of worn pads. You will need to watch the reservoir very closely while pushing the brake caliper pistons back to their home position. I would suspect that it will overflow if you added a lot of brake fluid. After the pads are replaced and a test drive, add brake fluid to the reservoirs' FULL line and then monitor it for a few weeks.
Old 12-11-22, 12:44 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Brake fluid level will go down gradually (quite slowly) due to pad wear. An abrupt brake fluid level drop on the reservoir will indicate a leak. Tracing a leak will mean follow your brake lines. Otherwise, you hunch is right, the pads wore out and it required more brake fluid to fill the system up. Top it up and monitor. And if you have not checked for leaks, go and do it. Good luck.