SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any Serious Issues With Non-OEM Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-22 | 04:48 PM
Squidgme
Rookie

Default Any Serious Issues With Non-OEM Windshield

Hi all, I know the topic of replacement glass has been much discussed in the past but I haven’t seen any posts about anyone having a major issue with OEE windshield install. I recently caught a rock on I495 that caused a crack that grew within a few hours half way across the windshield, so not repairable. I have priced out from Safelite an OEE copy for around $425 installed, if I want OEM it’s an additional $600.

Having had several rock strikes in the last few months I am loathe to spend a grand to only have to replace it again. I don’t intend to make an insurance claim to have my rates go up and I have a $500 deductible anyway. I have read and watched tube videos on the pros and cons of both, and seen quite a few positive reviews on OEE replacements on SC430s. I plan to inquire on the source of the replacement as Safelite uses multiple suppliers, as long as it is not a Chinese copy I don’t see a compelling reason to spend the grand when I can get one almost as good that has UV treatment and the radio antenna same as OEM.

if anyone has had a negative experience with OEE windshield I would appreciate your feedback, and thanks much!

Best,
Squid
Old 10-29-22 | 06:15 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I’ve replaced non-OEM windshield for my wife ES350. No problems what so ever. The only different is the missing Lexus name on the lower left corner. Just make sure you choose a reputable installer so you won’t have water leak down the road.
Old 10-30-22 | 05:04 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Safelite replaced mine with a Pittsburgh Glass Works years ago and I have had no problems. Looks just like the OEM.
Old 10-30-22 | 11:00 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Non oem glass has a different tint than oem and does not reject infra red and uv as well as oem. My ls had non oem glass that allowed more heating of its dashboard and caused us to manually adjust the air conditioning when driving into the sun during warm weather. The aftermarket’s appear to be softer glass and pit more. The different color of the tint is noticeable if you look. The factory calibrated the auto a/c function to the lower INFRA RED and UV OEM glass
Old 10-30-22 | 02:06 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Non oem glass has a different tint than oem and does not reject infra red and uv as well as oem. My ls had non oem glass that allowed more heating of its dashboard and caused us to manually adjust the air conditioning when driving into the sun during warm weather. The aftermarket’s appear to be softer glass and pit more. The different color of the tint is noticeable if you look. The factory calibrated the auto a/c function to the lower INFRA RED and UV OEM glass
I have no idea what brand was put into this persons car but if you get a PGW glass it will be identical to the OEM. I mean no difference. To make that kind of statement about all non OEM glass is not only incorrect but irresponsible.
Old 10-30-22 | 03:16 PM
doobs
Advanced

Not commenting on your windshield, but I will never use Safelite again.

Long story, but if you do use them, go out and watch the entire process.

Seriously.
The following users liked this post:
Silver23 (11-20-22)
Old 10-30-22 | 03:20 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I have no idea what brand was put into this persons car but if you get a PGW glass it will be identical to the OEM. I mean no difference. To make that kind of statement about all non OEM glass is not only incorrect but irresponsible.
my ls460 which had pgw glass definitely had poorer infra red and UV. Enough that we constantly had to manually adjust the dash a/c in hot weather into the sun. Enough so I had the a/c system serviced and checked for operation.

issue continued. Finally went to the Lexus dealers lot and compared my grey solar tint PGW windshield to the OEM cars on their lot. Slight gold tint just like the side windows.

replaced the PGW glass with a OEM windshield and the a/c issues ceased. Wife no longer complains about the heat in the front seats on warm drives into the sun.

maybe you should look closer and your cars side windows versus the windshield?

Long ago threads here had a Lexus lady who answered questions from owners. She mentioned 80-90% infra red and UVB rejections from the oem glass.

‘The a/c system is calibrated for that amount of UV and Infra red rejection.

If the pgw in a sc430 is the same as oem would be surprising as my ls460 oem windshield had made in Japan tags on it.

irresponsible? May I ask who are you to judge? A lexus engineer who helped develope the sc430/ls460. Both mine are 08’s it’s possible that early years had different oem glass.

the sc430’s have a water shedding coating on the side windows. Were you aware of that? Mines worn through in places.

Plus at least on the ls 460 the oem windshield is acoustic glass. My understanding is that is for the stereo systems speakers on the dash top.

sc does not have upper facing speakers so the acoustic part is probably not there.

My Lexus services advisor says in his experience the aftermarket windshields chip easier.

bmw used to offer diamond coated windshields for chip resistance.

will look closer at my pgw windshield on my 08 sc but they are labeled solar tint. Not lamipane like oem.

Old 10-30-22 | 03:49 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
my ls460 which had pgw glass definitely had poorer infra red and UV. Enough that we constantly had to manually adjust the dash a/c in hot weather into the sun. Enough so I had the a/c system serviced and checked for operation.

issue continued. Finally went to the Lexus dealers lot and compared my grey solar tint PGW windshield to the OEM cars on their lot. Slight gold tint just like the side windows.

replaced the PGW glass with a OEM windshield and the a/c issues ceased. Wife no longer complains about the heat in the front seats on warm drives into the sun.

maybe you should look closer and your cars side windows versus the windshield?

Long ago threads here had a Lexus lady who answered questions from owners. She mentioned 80-90% infra red and UVB rejections from the oem glass.

‘The a/c system is calibrated for that amount of UV and Infra red rejection.

If the pgw in a sc430 is the same as oem would be surprising as my ls460 oem windshield had made in Japan tags on it.

irresponsible? May I ask who are you to judge? A lexus engineer who helped develope the sc430/ls460. Both mine are 08’s it’s possible that early years had different oem glass.

the sc430’s have a water shedding coating on the side windows. Were you aware of that? Mines worn through in places.

Plus at least on the ls 460 the oem windshield is acoustic glass. My understanding is that is for the stereo systems speakers on the dash top.

sc does not have upper facing speakers so the acoustic part is probably not there.

My Lexus services advisor says in his experience the aftermarket windshields chip easier.

bmw used to offer diamond coated windshields for chip resistance.

will look closer at my pgw windshield on my 08 sc but they are labeled solar tint. Not lamipane like oem.
Absolute garbage!!!
Old 10-30-22 | 04:43 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Absolute garbage!!!
Sounds like a carefully reasoned intelligent response to a technical discussion. Did you run out of facts here? Sounds like someone may have purchased a cheaper aftermarket windshield saving money but had no idea that there were differences other than price. Surprise!

I posted this same info in 2018 on the ls460 forum and no one had a bile attack in the discussion
Old 10-30-22 | 06:51 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Caflashbob may have valid point in his arguments. Hornestly, I‘ve never taken a closed look of what he pointed out. I did not see nor feel any different with non-OEM windshield glass. The only thing I noticed was the missing Toyota name in the non-OEM glass.
Old 10-30-22 | 07:16 PM
Squidgme
Rookie

Thank you all for the responses and discussion. I am going to ask Safelite if they use a PGW product for the SC, if it’s a Chinese copy I likely will fork out for the OEM.I was planning to drop of the car and pick up later, but now I think I will schedule and stay and watch, can’t be too careful!

Many thanks,
Squid
Old 11-20-22 | 09:12 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

One cosmetic difference I have encountered with two non-OEM windshields is the frit pattern may not fully hide the a-pillar liner. The OEM dark frit/print is a bit wider hides the pillar when viewed from car exterior. The non-OEM windowshields don't quite hide the light colored pillar liner.

It's not a functional issue, but a cosmetic one that surprised me.

Old 11-22-22 | 11:10 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

I had aftermarket "OEM" glass de-laminate on one edge, on my wife's ES350, so, I'll never use it again, Subsequently, I needed to replace my SC windshield and went with Lexus branded OEM glass. I thought I would need to pay the difference, especially since I used a Lexus dealer for the replacement. However, Farmers paid the full amount, no questions asked.
Old 11-22-22 | 11:23 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Sometimes the oem vs oe doesn’t have equivalent acoustic filtering to keep the cabin quiet.