SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Timing Belt & Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-22, 04:08 PM
eadamy
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing Belt & Water Pump?

I am the original owner of a 2008 SC 430 with 67K miles and I am not mechanical. I took the car into my local Big O Tire for synthetic oil change and tire rotation. The owner took me back to the lift where they had dropped a cover on the driver side near the front wheel to show me some coagulated pink stuff inside the compartment. They said there was no coolant in the radiator and that it was probably the water pump. While doing the water pump, they recommend replacing the timing belts. Cost: $1104 for OEM parts (Timing Belt Kit w Water Pump) and $795 labor (5 hrs @ $159).

1) Diagnosis: I've not experienced coolant problems since owning a well worn 51 Baby Blue Ford Convertible during college many decades ago but I kind of remember some of the symptoms. I've had no engine check light, no liquid on the garage floor, and the car showed no signs of overheating during a brisk (firm foot) 90 mile round trip yesterday. I am therefore a bit puzzled by the diagnosis. Does this sound right or should I be checking something else?

2) Cost: I understand the logic of replacing the timing belt with the water pump at 67K. I'm not cheap but I am careful. I checked the parts online and several the major auto parts stores sell these for $250-$350. When I inquired of the Big O owner regarding the 300%+ price differential, he said the less expensive parts would be cheap Chinese parts which he wouldn't recommend putting in a Lexus. My gut tells me there should not be a 300% premium for OEM Lexus parts but maybe my gut is wrong. Finally, $159/hour seems a tad high, even for a highly skilled mechanic who knows how to perform what appears to be a somewhat complicated job.

I am hoping for a bit of guidance here. Thank you.

Last edited by eadamy; 11-25-22 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-25-22, 04:28 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

Aisin makes the water pumps for Toyota/Lexus. I put one in our ES350 and one in our Tacoma; each one was under $100. Bando makes the belts for Tacomas. I have used those and Gates with no issues. Loss of coolant or an overheating engine will not directly cause the check engine light to come on.
The following users liked this post:
eadamy (11-26-22)
Old 11-25-22, 04:38 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 806 Likes on 598 Posts

This is from lexuspartsnow....

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/page_p...s=water%20pump

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...html?pnc=16100

Last edited by Gerf; 11-25-22 at 04:47 PM.
eadamy (11-26-22)
Old 11-25-22, 04:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,432 Posts

OEM quality
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=16088&jsn=15
Old 11-25-22, 06:37 PM
Cinc04
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Your first concern should be the coolant issue. If you drove the car (hard 90 miles) with no coolant, that would damage the engine. What did your temperature gauge show? Do you think maybe you were just low on coolant?

I'm not familiar with Big O Tire, but they sound like a tire shop, oil change place, etc. Usually, they don't do big jobs like timing belt/water pump replacement. I would be reluctant to have them do the job unless I was very familiar with their work.

You need a 2nd opinion. I would take the car to a trusted mechanic if you have one or a Toyota or Lexus dealership if you don't. You indicate your location is in AZ. If you give a city/town, maybe someone in the forum, familiar with your location, can give you a recommendation.

Repair shops are going to get parts and add in some profit. I think Big O might be high. That is why you should get a 2nd or 3rd quote. $159 per hour for labor sounds like a Lexus rate.

So, what is the status of the car? Did Big O add coolant? Did you drive it home from Big O? I would be very careful until you get a diagnosis from a knowledgeable mechanic.

I hope you haven't had any engine damage and you get the water pump/timing belt/tensioners, etc. changed for around $1200 to $1500.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cinc04:
eadamy (11-26-22), SC430Dad (11-26-22), texsexlex (02-20-23)
Old 11-25-22, 11:44 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

I second with Cinc04. If your temp gauge did not go H, you’re probably OK. Have your SC check ASAP with trusted mechanic. You should expect to spend 1000-1500 dollars for TB+WP job.
eadamy (11-26-22)
Old 11-26-22, 12:54 PM
eadamy
10th Gear

Thank you so much for all of the help!

The temp gauge on the SC shows below mid-range on the gauge so I don't believe the engine has been run hot. I will add coolant before driving it again.

The link for the AISIN TKT021 is very helpful. $200 for original Japanese OEM looks like a winner. I see that a repair shop can order it from NAPA for < $300 which is still a far cry from $1100.

I agree with the advice to look elsewhere for a mechanic. I scanned one thread here on doing the job and came away with the distinct impression that a very capable mechanic is required. I am in the West Valley of Phonix (Sun City). I have an excellent traveling mechanic who I have used previously for both of our Lexus' plus a highly rated local repair shop. I will be calling them on Monday.

$1000 - $1500 seems like a reasonable range.

Again, thank you all for the help.
Old 11-27-22, 07:51 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 490 Likes on 409 Posts

Buy the kit and take it to this guy (call for an appointment first)

He is the best Asian Car Mechanic you can find. He is VERY reasonable. He changed my Timing Belt/Water pump using a Timing Belt kit I brought him. He charged me less than $300 for labor a few years back.

He is a little far from you, but not THAT far. Also his garage is in a low rent district, but the homey/independent mechanic feel is well worth the savings.
~~~~~~
I would be VERY concerned if there was no coolant in your radiator as Big O said. But if you did not get a light on your dash and your car was in the normal range, it is possible they meant there was no coolant in your overflow tank.
Old 11-27-22, 08:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by eadamy
I am the original owner of a 2008 SC 430 with 67K miles and I am not mechanical. I took the car into my local Big O Tire for synthetic oil change and tire rotation. The owner took me back to the lift where they had dropped a cover on the driver side near the front wheel to show me some coagulated pink stuff inside the compartment. They said there was no coolant in the radiator and that it was probably the water pump. While doing the water pump, they recommend replacing the timing belts. Cost: $1104 for OEM parts (Timing Belt Kit w Water Pump) and $795 labor (5 hrs @ $159).

1) Diagnosis: I've not experienced coolant problems since owning a well worn 51 Baby Blue Ford Convertible during college many decades ago but I kind of remember some of the symptoms. I've had no engine check light, no liquid on the garage floor, and the car showed no signs of overheating during a brisk (firm foot) 90 mile round trip yesterday. I am therefore a bit puzzled by the diagnosis. Does this sound right or should I be checking something else?

2) Cost: I understand the logic of replacing the timing belt with the water pump at 67K. I'm not cheap but I am careful. I checked the parts online and several the major auto parts stores sell these for $250-$350. When I inquired of the Big O owner regarding the 300%+ price differential, he said the less expensive parts would be cheap Chinese parts which he wouldn't recommend putting in a Lexus. My gut tells me there should not be a 300% premium for OEM Lexus parts but maybe my gut is wrong. Finally, $159/hour seems a tad high, even for a highly skilled mechanic who knows how to perform what appears to be a somewhat complicated job.

I am hoping for a bit of guidance here. Thank you.
the coolant leak could also be coming from the radiator. They have a tendency to crack on the upper or lower plastic radiator tanks.
also, do not drive the car until the leak is corrected. As previously mentioned, if the car is low on coolant, you will most likely destroy the engine.
The photo shows a cracked upper tank.
I am not saying this is the issue because it could certainly be the water pump, just something else to look at.
please let us know what happens.

Old 11-28-22, 09:09 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
the coolant leak could also be coming from the radiator. They have a tendency to crack on the upper or lower plastic radiator tanks.
also, do not drive the car until the leak is corrected. As previously mentioned, if the car is low on coolant, you will most likely destroy the engine.
The photo shows a cracked upper tank.
I am not saying this is the issue because it could certainly be the water pump, just something else to look at.
please let us know what happens.
I TOTALLY Agree with BGW. I never even thought of that.

A Radiator crack is VERY common on our cars, it comes up in topic 3 or 4 times a year. But in the 6 years I have been on this board, I have never heard of a failing Water Pump.

A radiator is a much cheaper fix and it is something your traveling mechanic can do in about 45 minutes
Bgw70 (11-28-22)
Old 11-29-22, 02:41 PM
eadamy
10th Gear

I have the SC back in the garage after having the water pump and timing belt replaced by the highly rated Roberts Care Care close to home. The leak was in the water pump. I was very tempted to use Ha's Auto Repair but extremely reluctant to go the distance w/o putting it on a truck. Total cost was $1300 using the AISIN TKT021 timing belt and water pump kit. While I probably could have saved several hundred dollars more by negotiating the parts charge; I am pleased and comfortable with the result. Thank you to all here who pitched in with suggestions and help.

Now that I have that out of the way (and another 65K+- miles before it's time to replace the timing belt), I think I'm going to treat my SC to a NAV/entertainment upgrade and a rear camera.
The following 3 users liked this post by eadamy:
Bgw70 (11-29-22), Cinc04 (11-29-22), SC300Es (12-01-22)
Old 11-30-22, 10:07 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eadamy
Total cost was $1300 using the AISIN TKT021 timing belt and water pump kit. While I probably could have saved several hundred dollars more by negotiating the parts charge; I am pleased and comfortable with the result. Thank you to all here who pitched in with suggestions and help.
Still much cheaper than Big O! Glad you got it resolved
Old 12-31-22, 10:47 AM
jcorll
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Timing Belt & Water Pump

Just had the TB and water pump replaced on my car and it ran about $ 1500.00 . Had other things done that had been overlooked by previous owner. All in all glad to have done it ! Gets a big load off my mind especially when my wife is driving by herself. Now I know she is not going to be stranded somewhere!
Cinc04 (12-31-22)
Old 01-04-23, 02:29 AM
JAB2007
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade NAV and stereo

You won’t be sorry if you add a new Bluetooth stereo/NAV/phone system. I went with the SONY 6000 in my 2007 SC430 and I’m very pleased. The original NAV unit is still in place, but I turned it off and keep the wooden door/cover closed. I also replaced the door speakers.

eadamy (03-03-24)