SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pressure Sensor Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-03, 08:55 AM
dingo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure Sensor Info Needed

Can describe the way (or know the source of) the bands on the HRE wheels work I'd be most appreciative.

If you happen to have an extra sensor for sale please let me know. If the price isn't too bad I'd like to have one to ship to the wheel fabricator.

I did find some pics via the FAQ on the actual sensors themselves:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postid=307695

TIA

d

Last edited by dingo; 10-26-03 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-26-03, 11:51 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

dingo,

I just dealt with this 2 weeks ago. I sent in my sensors to HRE and had them band them to the wheel. They banded them to the wheels and sent them to the Lexus dealer where I had everything mounted and balanced. The HRE people do a real slick job. They band the sensor, and then they balance out the wheel perfectly. When mine was sent to the Lexus dealer they had trouble dealing with my 19" Michelins. They had a tough time on the tire machine and dislodged a couple of the sensors from the bands. The Lexus dealer removed the valvestems from the sensors and they fit more flush against the wheel that way. They placed the band over the sensor again. Then, they placed some silicone adhesive to hold the band and sensor in place. Have not had a single problem, however, it's just been 2 weeks. I would send them to the HRE people. No wheel place I talked to knew what the hell I was talking about when I asked them about "banding" the sensor to the wheel. I didn't want to be their first case in trying to do it. Hope this helps. Which HREs did you get???

Doc C
Old 10-26-03, 02:31 PM
dingo
Driver

I haven't gotten HRE's that's why I was asking how they did it. I can't afford them and my budget is no more than $500-$600 per wheel.

Since IForged has such a bad reputation and BC Forged seems to be totally out of the loop I was looking at ordering some from Boyd Coddington.

I contacted them and they said "no problem since we deal with Corvettes all the time". That doesn't leave me with the warm and fuzzies as I don't know if the Corvette sensors and the SC430 sensors are the same, nearly the same, not the same.... etc.

I just don't want to get a set of wheels in here and then try to have the mounted only to hear that the sensors won't work and then have to go thru shipping them back and all that goes along with it.
Old 10-26-03, 06:20 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

dingo,

SORRY!! Well, you have several options. You can call HRE and they will send you the bands. They usually don't charge if you're going to buy wheels from them, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't send you some for a very small charge. You can place the bands yourself. Peter at wheel experts.com told me that I could do it if I wanted to. I already had my sensors out of my old wheels and so I just mailed them in to have HRE do it. If you call him, I'm sure he will send you info or tell you exactly what you need to do. My understanding is that the corvette has sensors that are not involved with the valvestem. They are banded to the wheel. I would not worry about Boyd Coddington (nice wheels) if they have dealt with putting the sensors on. They may want to take off the valvestems on the Lexus senors, since it makes them fit more flush to the wheel. You will have to have your Lexus dealer "wake them up" or do whatever it is that makes them work with the car again. They do this without having to take the tires off of the wheel.

The wheel repair place that I took my L sportlines to said he's used some sort of silicone adhesive that will bond them to the wheel just fine. The Lexus dealer did that with mine in addition to the HRE bands.

You could do without the sensors altogether or find wheels that are compatible with the run flat valvestem like the L-Sportlines, BBS etc. and not have to worry about banding or gluing anything. The wheel sensors are about $163 each. I don't have a spare sensor. I do, however, have one that is in two pieces that you can piece together with your hand. It obviously doesn't work, but would give the wheel fabricator an idea of the size and shape of the sensor. I would let you borrow it for nothing, as long as you got it back to me so I could use it for the same reason in the future. Let me know!! Didn't mean to p--- you off earlier.

Doc C
Old 10-26-03, 08:09 PM
dingo
Driver

Doc, duude!

You didn't **** me off! I didn't intend for my response to read that way. You've been a big help!

I did find some info on a 350Z forum about how HRE does it (scroll down - it'll be the msg after the sensor pic): http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=iforged

Thanks for the very kind offer but I'll try to borrow one from the local dealer. If I can't find one in a reasonable amount of time I'll contact you and take you up on it. Most generous of you!

d
Old 10-26-03, 09:14 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

dingo,

Good luck on borrowing one from the dealer. They acted like they were made of gold at my dealership. I hope it all works out for you. Let me know if you need my sensor. Which Boyd Coddingtons are you looking at?? Take care.

Doc C
Old 10-27-03, 06:27 AM
dingo
Driver

Yeah, that borrowing idea was a good one, eh?

Here are 3 of the wheels I'm considering:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...865#post715865

d
Old 10-27-03, 08:33 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

dingo,

Take a look at the L-sportline model 4s. They look real similar to the first photo of the boyd coddingtons and are run flat sensor compatible. They were good wheels, but they all four bent on my car. They said it was a fluke and that that never happens. I think they look great IMO and would help solve your sensor dilemma!!!

Doc C
Old 10-27-03, 09:33 AM
dingo
Driver

If it weren't for the bad experience you had with the wheels and the vendor I'd consider them but I'm leery after already going thru the bending experience I've had.

d
Old 10-27-03, 02:38 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an extra sensor.. (3 actually) if needed, PM me a fair price including shipping and it's all yours!
Old 10-27-03, 03:36 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

dingo,

I don't blame you. I wasn't impressed with their (L-Sportline) help either. They were terrible!!! The BCs are sharp looking that you picked out.

Doc C