SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 roof hardtop won’t close ALL THE WAY

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-23, 08:57 AM
lepradegon
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC430 roof hardtop won’t close ALL THE WAY

To open the top, I hold the button until the top is completely open and I get the beep. No problem opening
The problem is closing. When I hold the button to close, everything works as it should, Windows go down, roof engages, tray closes, but the trunk is stuck open and will not come down. It does not even try (I don't see obstructions or dirt, and added a small amount of lithium lubrication)

The motors should be fine since when I open the top the trunk comes down perfectly fine to finish the cycle.

Recently a few times this happened and I ran the open cycle again and then closed it and it eventually worked. But now that is not helping. I try to increase the RPM's in case it needs more amps but that does not help. And as I said when I o

This is where the truck get's stuck in the close process. (trunk closes find when opening)
pen the top in the last step the trunk closes perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

Rain is coming soon so I will have to slowly push down the trunk to manually close it and put plastic cover for the small back windows to block the rain.

Old 02-19-23, 12:02 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry to say that I am extremely busy right now replacing knock sensors. But my guess is that your package tray switch/switches are not fully engaged. Pull the package tray up manually and then push it back down. This takes some umph so dont be afraid that you are going to break something. But this could get your top to work for now. The package tray is pretty complex. I'm sorry I just dont have more time to go into detail. There are others that can pipe in with some very useful info. Hopefully than can help before I get back and can give you the attention you need right now.

Paul
The following users liked this post:
lepradegon (02-22-23)
Old 02-19-23, 02:03 PM
Cinc04
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

From the Body Electrical - Retractable Hardtop, System Control, BE-83 document, in the sequence of operation, it looks like the roof closes and there are LH and RH limit switches that detect full roof closure. Upon proof of full closure, the luggage door drive motors (LH and RH) then close the luggage door front. I would just guess the limit switches are not detecting full roof closure or the limit switches are malfunctioning or not aligned properly.

You indicated that the system would operate properly on the 2nd or 3rd try. A real guess, but maybe there is a slight misalignment in the roof, and on subsequent tries, it does align. Check where the roof meets the header and see if the roof looks to be fully closed.

You are probably going to need to run a diagnostic check and see if you get any codes.

There is a procedure in the owner's manual that shows how to manually close the roof and the rear quarter windows. You may want to take a look at that.
lepradegon (02-22-23)
Old 02-19-23, 04:16 PM
lepradegon
5th Gear

Wow Thank you so much Paul., I will give that a try. BTW I am in Nor Cal.
Cheers
Old 02-19-23, 04:19 PM
lepradegon
5th Gear

Super helpful Cinc04 I will check that out. You guys are great Thanks
Old 02-20-23, 04:09 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 909 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by lepradegon
To open the top, I hold the button until the top is completely open and I get the beep. No problem opening
The problem is closing. When I hold the button to close, everything works as it should, Windows go down, roof engages, tray closes, but the trunk is stuck open and will not come down. It does not even try (I don't see obstructions or dirt, and added a small amount of lithium lubrication)

The motors should be fine since when I open the top the trunk comes down perfectly fine to finish the cycle.

Recently a few times this happened and I ran the open cycle again and then closed it and it eventually worked. But now that is not helping. I try to increase the RPM's in case it needs more amps but that does not help. And as I said when I o

This is where the truck get's stuck in the close process. (trunk closes find when opening)
pen the top in the last step the trunk closes perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

Rain is coming soon so I will have to slowly push down the trunk to manually close it and put plastic cover for the small back windows to block the rain.
this won’t fix your problem but it will allow you to close the roof and raise the rear windows.

click the link in this post…I will look for more threads on this subject…also, please report back on your progress with closing the rear windows.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post9224351
lepradegon (02-22-23)
Old 02-20-23, 04:24 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 909 Likes on 729 Posts

Here is a great post by VVTiBob…he was an excellent contributor
it shows the sequence of the roof operation and may help you pinpoint the failure…
I read the chart and it sounds like the system is not detecting the roof locking…this might be an adjustment.
of course the roof could be locking but the microswitch is not detecting it.
the roof locking happens right above the visors.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post6482094

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-20-23 at 04:32 AM.
lepradegon (02-22-23)
Old 02-21-23, 10:23 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 511 Likes on 427 Posts

Is there anything near the Roof pins that lock the roof into the windshield frame? It sounds weird, but several people have said they put tape there to clean clean the interior, or they put velvet there to quiet a noise. Something about that really annoys the roof and keeps it from locking properly.

I agree that one of the switches probably isn't reading properly and is halting the closing process. If you look at your hinges, you can see little switches on them. They are small, but easy to spot.They might have a little dust or something on them. Clean them up and you might be ok.

The real solution is to find someone who has techstream. The roof will only display codes in techstream as it reaches that specific step in the open/close process. Once you find out what the code/cause is, then you can fix it for sure.
lepradegon (02-22-23)
Old 02-21-23, 11:26 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 279 Posts

There are two pins about 2 1/2" long approximately, that go inside the windshield pillars when the top closes. They both should have a plastic heat shrink looking covering. Although not common, one or the other have been known to come off and get jammed inside the hole. The top locks are engaged when both pins are inserted closing a switch. Then the locks engage. After you check that, you should have a tool in the trunk, looks like an allen that fits into the covered hole in your overhead liner that allows you to manually lock and unlock those clamps. If the top is NOT locking in the front, you might be able to get the top to close by manually engaging the locks barring any possible debris, closing the switches and allowing the process to continue.

Paul
lepradegon (02-22-23)
Old 02-21-23, 05:55 PM
lepradegon
5th Gear

Thank you everyone I cleaned the two holes and pushed on the two micro switches to listen to them click. I was going to see if the microswitches had continuity when clicked but after cleaning it out and making sure the sleeves were not missing or worn down I tried it again and it closed. So it is working now. I see some the two pins show some wear and tear on them so I suspect one was not pushing the microswitch when it closes. I will make sure the rubber pins are solid and engaging. But again thank you all. Your hints helped me narrow down where the problem was. I should get that "techstream" tool for the future Maybe I can find it on Amazon.
Cheers

PS.
How do I mark this thread as resolved?
Is this the "Techstream" needed?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

Last edited by lepradegon; 02-22-23 at 04:37 AM. Reason: missing link for question
Cinc04 (02-21-23)
Old 02-22-23, 09:52 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 511 Likes on 427 Posts

So happy you got it resolved. Our tops are a little finicky, so don't be totally surprised if you have the problem again. You may want to clean the rest of the switches to help not have the problem.

No need to mark the thread "resolved" it will just keep getting pushed down the list...

If you want to help future users, you can edit the title and add RESOLVED to it.

That is the right program, but there are certain versions that work better than others. Someone like @GmanSC could probably elaborate more.