Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota GR HV SPORTS concept

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Toyota GR HV SPORTS concept

Looking at what seems like a targa top, matte black GT86, the above daydream must be the reasoning behind Toyota's new concept, soon to be seen at the Tokyo Motor Show. The sports coupe concept has a differently angry face than the existing 86, and as Toyota puts it, the body color "expresses power and aggressiveness." The concept is larger than the GT86, meaning it would possibly have a new platform underneath. The engine benefits from race-inspired hybrid tech, but the interesting thing is an automated gearbox with a manual H-pattern, instead of just plus and minus signs. The ignition switch has been placed inside the gear lever, in the style of the ejection seat release in 007's Aston Martin DB5. For normal use, the PRND buttons are mounted in the dashboard as well as the manual mode switch.

If anything, the GR HV SPORTS gives an interesting insight into how Toyota plans to develop its small sports car segment. And the new nose could be a welcome addition to the 86's polarizing looks.
Source
Old 10-06-17, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Shift buttons and a lever BOTH? I don't think I've ever seen that on the same car, although, of course, plenty of vehicles have both a lever and paddles.

Bit, I guess you won't like it.....the lever has a leather boot LOL.

And, although I know the is not the first car to have it, I'd love to know who came up with the idea of flat-black paint. It looks like something, without clearcoat to protect it, that has been sitting out in the sun for 10 years LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-06-17 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 05:51 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,236 Likes on 864 Posts

I am intrigued by this idea of how to implement manual shifting into a hybrid. A couple of years back Tetsuya Tada (the chief engineer and project head for the 86 and Supra MKV) made mention that he had worked on an F1 KERS style hybrid 86 prototype. At the time it was deemed far too costly for production. It's possible that the Gazoo Racing engineers picked up where R&D had previously left off.

That transmission control system though... if it will prioritize ALL human inputs and effectively override any programmed nannies, rev-hangs, etc. it could be a very interesting twist. I'm all in favor of *more* emphasis on driver interaction and focus to control a vehicle. Traditional manual transmissions just do this naturally. The appeal of a manual shifter in a sports or muscle car isn't going away for people who love it.

I think the button under the red flip-up cover should be moved to the dash or console though. I can see the red cover becoming flimsy and break with age.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-06-17 at 05:55 PM.