Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus 5GS spy ****s???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 12:56 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The new Camry is the best of a bad bunch.
The numerous sharp & deep creases on the new Camry will ensure that it ages very quickly.
Somehow, TMC's latest designs lack harmony - they look somewhat bizarre.
This new Camry isn't half as beautiful as the new 4RX.

While sedans have become taller and taller over the past four decades, enter President Akio's zest for "inspired" styling and "inspired" dynamics, and this Camry becomes amongst the first recent TMC sedans to lose height for a lower seating position, with more difficult entry and egress.
Keep in mind that the lower the car, the shorter its suspension travel, and hence we must watch out for ride comfort, as short suspension travel reaches its bump stops very quickly...

Have you actually sat in and then drove the new, 2018 Camry, so that you can actually speak with authority and certainty that the 1+ inch of lower height makes entry and exit much more difficult, and lessens suspension travel so much that it actually affects how the car rides and drives? Or are you merely an armchair critic?

I have sat in the new Camry. I did not feel that the little bit of lower height made getting in and out of the car any more difficult.
Old 10-08-17, 01:28 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don’t see how you decry creases and weird angles and like the 4RX LOL
Getting a bit off topic, but the biggest difference between 4RX and 9th gen Camry is style; the 4RX shape has much more style.
Both are sharp, deep creased, and a lot of lines - neither will age well.

Fittingly, the RX does have more chrome for more upmarketness to match its price...

Old 10-08-17, 01:40 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sulu
Have you actually sat in and then drove the new, 2018 Camry, so that you can actually speak with authority and certainty that the 1+ inch of lower height makes entry and exit much more difficult, and lessens suspension travel so much that it actually affects how the car rides and drives? Or are you merely an armchair critic?

I have sat in the new Camry. I did not feel that the little bit of lower height made getting in and out of the car any more difficult.
If you read the post more carefully, that's why I said we must "watch out for", because I'm speaking on theoretical terms.
Theory is one thing, but practical is something else.

For example, presently I still have both 3GS & 4GS, and 3GS is an inch lower with a lower seating position, and more difficult entry/egress.
Although 3GS has shorter suspension travel, 3GS actually rides better, and furthermore, 3GS has less longitudinal pitching than the taller 4GS.

Being lower does minimize pitching, but being lower also reduces suspension travel which in turn minimizes pitching again.
Keep in mind that this is all theoretical talk.
Use aftermarket firm springs on a 4GS, and you have very little suspension travel.

Theoretically, if all else is the same [constant], a lower sedan will have proportionately more difficult entry/egress than a taller sedan.

PS. I haven't tested it yet, but don't be surprized if new 9th gen Camry has a smaller trunk opening than its predecessor.
That's what happens when we really rake the rear windscreen.

In the 80's & 90's, there was a plentiful supply of coupes like the Celica, Prelude and Nissan 200/240SX.
Today, with the advent of SUV vertical cabins, somehow coupe sales have simultaneously dwindled.
Maybe, the four door coupe is the traditional coupe's replacement as current C & E Classes, and even the new A4 seems to go for the lower sedan stance than its predecessors...

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-08-17 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

The bottom line is these are your opinions that you consistently put out there as quantifiable fact. I vastly prefer the new Camry to the 4RX. See the difference? I said “I vastly prefer” you say “the 4RX is clearly more attractive because it has style”. I think it’s ugly at best.

Just your opinion.
Old 10-08-17, 02:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The bottom line is these are your opinions that you consistently put out there as quantifiable fact. I vastly prefer the new Camry to the 4RX. See the difference? I said “I vastly prefer” you say “the 4RX is clearly more attractive because it has style”. I think it’s ugly at best.

Just your opinion.
Just your $0.02 versus my $0.02 - why do you always worry; just put me on your Ignore List.
If you really want to quantify, why not create a "Polling" thread, and that's how we turn subjective opinions into objective final production.
Unlike a single opinion from one individual, a poll is the collective opinion from a whole group of individuals.
Manufacturers design and produce based on collective group polling.
Old 10-08-17, 05:29 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though this thread is about the 5GS - and it's a great thing that there will be a 5GS, you do have to look at the only real poll that counts, and that's the consumer and their car buying dollars.

I don't mind the updated Camry (owned a wonderful 96 4 cyl. myself). It's got a lot of new features and a nice interior. Some creases and the front aren't quite to my taste, but they have made it look sharper and edgier. That was the intent IMO.

And if you look at Hoovey's Sept. sales thread, this Camry is selling well. Ahead of its Accord rival.

Camry sales of 34,732 units, up 13.1 percent in first full month of sales of all-new 2018 model year
RX sales are also up on the new model. So I think we are a small subset of car enthusiasts and our opinions are always subjective to some extent but all that matters to Toyota/Lexus is the sales numbers.
Old 10-08-17, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

See the difference? I said “I vastly prefer” you say “the 4RX is clearly more attractive because it has style”. I think it’s ugly at best.
Ugly it is.......but underneath that Halloween-mask exterior lies a darn good crossover SUV.
Old 10-08-17, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Lots of other ones out there nowadays that aren’t ugly lol
Old 10-08-17, 07:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Polling by sales, the new 4RX was the best selling luxury car in America last year!
I'm glad I have good tastes for styling.
Old 10-08-17, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I don’t see how you decry creases and weird angles and like the 4RX LOL
Originally Posted by peteharvey
Getting a bit off topic, but the biggest difference between 4RX and 9th gen Camry is style; the 4RX shape has much more style.
Both are sharp, deep creased, and a lot of lines - neither will age well.
Can't make any sense of this. You say
4rx has more style than new camry
both have creases, lines
neither will age well.

so how does that mean the new rx has 'more style'?

every time i see one i think mad max styling. horrible. but interior's very nice and i'm sure it drives/rides nicer,
Old 10-08-17, 08:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Can't make any sense of this. You say
4rx has more style than new camry
both have creases, lines
neither will age well.

so how does that mean the new rx has 'more style'?

every time i see one i think mad max styling. horrible. but interior's very nice and i'm sure it drives/rides nicer,
There is a lot of different personal/individual opinions.
For example, one person make like Trump, while another person may not.
Or one person may like Clinton, but another person may not.

The way we settle the difference is to vote via opinion polling etc.
Like Matty says, the ultimate poll is the sales poll.
Last year, nearly 110,000 4RX's were sold in the USA - making it America's biggest selling luxury vehicle.

A sales poll is not exactly a styling poll.
However, there is a very good chance that the Lexus 4RX will poll very well in a styling poll, while the 5LS may not fair so well on polling with many people live Johnhav430 etc etc, not that in love with 5LS styling.

Btw, how do we create a new thread with a poll?
I'd love to create a new thread with a poll, but I don't know how to.

Getting bit off topic, but I find that the 4RX's ride is too firm in compliancy from the coils, and also too heavily damped, and both the vehicle and the tires are too noisy.
I suspect it sells more thanks to its styling, and price...

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-09-17 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-09-17, 03:02 AM
Lead Lap

Received 781 Likes on 530 Posts

Sure there were lots of RX sold. But you cannot disprove that if they didn't make the current Gen RX so ugly, that sales number wouldn't have doubled, because as a car, it's a great car.

So thr argument that lots of sales = not ugly doesn't make any sense to me. People buy plenty of ugly things that are made in this world
Old 10-09-17, 04:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

peteharvey you didn't answer my question about you stating similarities of camry and 4rx yet somehow 4rx has more style. but that's ok, we're entitled to our own opinions.
Old 10-09-17, 05:28 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 703
Sure there were lots of RX sold. But you cannot disprove that if they didn't make the current Gen RX so ugly, that sales number wouldn't have doubled, because as a car, it's a great car.

So thr argument that lots of sales = not ugly doesn't make any sense to me. People buy plenty of ugly things that are made in this world
If you read the post properly, sales does not equal styling at all.
The two are actually two different parameters.
Old 10-09-17, 05:49 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
peteharvey you didn't answer my question about you stating similarities of camry and 4rx yet somehow 4rx has more style. but that's ok, we're entitled to our own opinions.
The overall styling of a car is built on several parameters added together:
1) Shape, ie round/angular/square.
2) Style- the degree of harmony in the shape.
3) Edge - sharp/rounded.
4) Smoothness - flush fitting or recessed surfaces.
5) Simplicity/complexity.
6) Timelessness
7) Chrome Work & Upmarketness.
There will be other parameters, but I won't detail here.

Thus RX is angular, where Camry is more rounded.
RX has more style & harmony over Camry.
Both are sharp edged.
RX is smoother with more flush fitting glass, while Camry has more recessed side windows.
Both are a complex amalgamation of lines.
Neither cars are particularly timeless.
RX has more chrome work and that helps to look more upmarket.

Thus, style & sharp edges are two different parameters.

Beyond this, we can evaluate & quantitate by polling.
Is there any instructions on CL Forum on how to start a poll?

In the old days, we used dictatorships and ruling male family descendants to appoint a king, to make the final decision.
Since around 500 BC, the Greeks popularized democracy and voting via opinion polls.

Polling isn't just used to settle differences in styling - polling is also used in almost all other aspects of decision making, for example:
1) Will there be a 5GS, or will it be axed in favor of 7ES AWD?
2) Atmos or Turbo?
3) Electric motor driven turbo compressors, or not? Or is it just competing with EV's and hydrogen fuel cell powered EV's?
4) Hybrid or Plug-in?
5) Will the Toyota Camry use a more expensive front double wishbone suspension to keep the wheels more perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip, at extra production costs???
6) Etc etc.

You'd be surprized how common polling is used to settle overall differences and decision making.

NB. A poll on CL Forum will only give a poll from a group of "enthusiasts", rather than the mass public which are more heavily influenced by badge & styling in their purchase.
A big company with a big budget like TMC etc, can do very costly national polling, which are much more accurate, but data is kept confidential...

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-09-17 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus 5GS spy ****s???