LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Memory Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 02:35 PM
beels1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Memory Seat Question

I just picked up a 2003 Base LS430 for my son. I've been having lots of fun driving it to "shake it down" and have been busy searching and reading the forums tweaking and addressing a few minor issues: power mirror switch, center console difficult to open, a bulb or two, trunk lifts, added a VAIS MML and USB port, and lastly, fixed the driver's seat recline by replacing the recline motor. When I'm done, I may just have to keep this LS for myself!

Anyway, my question is regarding the driver's memory seat function. The memory seems to be working normally, with the exception that the seat angle/recline position is not memorized. Is this normal? I'm guessing not, since my other Lexus cars all remember the recline position.

I have tried several different suggestions found on the forum to reset the seat memory with no luck (basically, remove/replace battery cable, and exercise the seat in a couple of different sequences), but the recline position is not being memorized. Everything else is properly memorized: seat vertical/horizontal, thigh extension, headrest, shoulder belt, and steering wheel. (Edit: also outside mirrors)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by beels1; 10-11-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 03:07 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by beels1
I just picked up a 2003 Base LS430 for my son. I've been having lots of fun driving it to "shake it down" and have been busy searching and reading the forums tweaking and addressing a few minor issues: power mirror switch, center console difficult to open, a bulb or two, trunk lifts, added a VAIS MML and USB port, and lastly, fixed the driver's seat recline by replacing the recline motor. When I'm done, I may just have to keep this LS for myself!

Anyway, my question is regarding the driver's memory seat function. The memory seems to be working normally, with the exception that the seat angle/recline position is not memorized. Is this normal? I'm guessing not, since my other Lexus cars all remember the recline position.

I have tried several different suggestions found on the forum to reset the seat memory with no luck (basically, remove/replace battery cable, and exercise the seat in a couple of different sequences), but the recline position is not being memorized. Everything else is properly memorized: seat vertical/horizontal, thigh extension, headrest, shoulder belt, and steering wheel.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Tried all the memories?
Old 10-11-17, 03:24 PM
beels1
Driver School Candidate

Yes, all 3 memories are consistent. I also rechecked the recline motor connections.
Old 10-11-17, 03:41 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 676 Likes on 462 Posts

Most likely you have a bad position sensor (see red arrow in the wiring schematic below)...
The following users liked this post:
beels1 (10-12-17)
Old 10-11-17, 04:39 PM
beels1
Driver School Candidate

Oh my. Where is that sensor located?
Old 10-11-17, 05:19 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Oh my. Where is that sensor located?
Look for P44 (circled in red) in the diagram below...

The following users liked this post:
beels1 (10-12-17)
Old 10-12-17, 09:47 AM
beels1
Driver School Candidate

Thank so much for the advice, RKW! I was able to fix the no-recline-memory issue by replacing the gear/sensor assembly!

I had bought a used motor/gear/sensor assembly and installed it to fix the original no-recline issue, so I just swapped out the gear/sensor portion from the original dead motor, and now the memory-recline works.

I'm a bit nervous that this old assembly could damage my replacement motor, but it does seem to be working fine at the moment. The old motor is totally unresponsive (no sound/no movement), but also appears to have a broken drive shaft, which I suppose could have been caused by this gear assembly binding. Time will tell. The failure of these motors doesn't sound very common, based on my forum searches, so I wish I know why/how it failed.

Here is a picture of the defective gear/sensor assembly that came with the used replacement motor assembly, for those who have never seen this part. Replacing this motor was a pretty easy fix and I was able to do it without removing the driver's seat.

...and the motor:

Last edited by beels1; 10-12-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 10:42 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Thank so much for the advice, RKW! I was able to fix the no-recline-memory issue by replacing the gear/sensor assembly!
You're welcome! Congratulations on the repair, and thank you for sharing your experience and the photos.