LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sunroof Rattle or Creak, shade related?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 11:15 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Sunroof Rattle or Creak, shade related?

I have this creaking coming from the sunroof area. I did some research on here for past threads and people said its either related to the clips or a plastic rivet? I wasn't able to get a clear answer from reading those though. Its loud enough, that I can hear it even with my muffler delete and it still annoys me.

If I have the shade closed and drive off in the morning, it creaks. But if I force it closed with some effort, it seems to go away slightly but then about 5 min later, it seems to work itself loose very slightly and starts making a creaking noise again.

Is it a plastic on plastic noise where the shade has been worn out over time? Like its missing felt in between the shade and the slider? Anyone have any quick fixes for this aside from dropping the headliner and risking breaking some plastic trim?

I found this in the GS forums. I'll try the felt trick and stuff it in between the rails to see if that helps https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...attle-fix.html

Last edited by Losiracer2; 10-11-17 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 10:36 AM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a rattle in the sunroof shade of my 99. I used the same thread in the GS forum that you shared to go after mine. Every once in a while I might have to give the shade a little wiggle but over all the felt trick greatly improved the situation.

Pro Tip: Use a bunch of felt... like you mentioned, old trim pieces and clips in the headliner are going to be fragile. You only want to drop that headliner once. I got my headliner back to the point where no one else will ever notice that I pulled it down, but its not PERFECT anymore. And I notice when I look at it closely.

Relatively speaking its an easy job, I did it in my workplace parking garage over a lunch break. Just take your time removing that headliner and cram as much 3M felt in there as you can without it bulging or getting in the way of the slider for the shade.

Last thing. Just like you said, before I did the felt trick/fix, I used to slam the shade closed and that would get rid of the rattle for a few minutes until the shade worked itself slightly loose again and kept on rattling.
At least for my car, I found that instead of slamming the shade closed, if you just slightly pull the shade back about 1/4 inch, to a position right before sunlight comes through but the shade is still effectively 'closed', it got rid of the rattle MUCH better and for much longer. Hopefully that makes sense..
Old 10-12-17, 10:56 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine raddles however after opening and closing the sunshade it will sometimes stop. Also when I put some pressure with my hand near the front of the sunroof the raddle stops. I did read somewhere where people put something in between the sunroof and the headliner to stop it. Not sure where I found that post tho.
Old 10-13-17, 01:16 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by EthanS
I had a rattle in the sunroof shade of my 99. I used the same thread in the GS forum that you shared to go after mine. Every once in a while I might have to give the shade a little wiggle but over all the felt trick greatly improved the situation.

Pro Tip: Use a bunch of felt... like you mentioned, old trim pieces and clips in the headliner are going to be fragile. You only want to drop that headliner once. I got my headliner back to the point where no one else will ever notice that I pulled it down, but its not PERFECT anymore. And I notice when I look at it closely.

Relatively speaking its an easy job, I did it in my workplace parking garage over a lunch break. Just take your time removing that headliner and cram as much 3M felt in there as you can without it bulging or getting in the way of the slider for the shade.

Last thing. Just like you said, before I did the felt trick/fix, I used to slam the shade closed and that would get rid of the rattle for a few minutes until the shade worked itself slightly loose again and kept on rattling.
At least for my car, I found that instead of slamming the shade closed, if you just slightly pull the shade back about 1/4 inch, to a position right before sunlight comes through but the shade is still effectively 'closed', it got rid of the rattle MUCH better and for much longer. Hopefully that makes sense..
Yeah i know what you mean about cracking it slightly, basically to get it off the worn out spot. I used to do that but now it only stops if I have it all the way open which is nice sometimes but othertimes I just want to block out all the light you know?

I'll stop by a home depot and get some felt and try it, where did you apply it mostly? to the front where that one guy did or more along the sides where the shade rests?
Old 10-14-17, 05:01 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Lexus interior noise kit

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Yeah i know what you mean about cracking it slightly, basically to get it off the worn out spot. I used to do that but now it only stops if I have it all the way open which is nice sometimes but othertimes I just want to block out all the light you know?

I'll stop by a home depot and get some felt and try it, where did you apply it mostly? to the front where that one guy did or more along the sides where the shade rests?
If you want professional product, Lexus offers "Interior Noise Kit" 08231-00801 which contains foam strips and various lengths and thicknesses of quality felt with pressure sensitive adhesive.

08231-00801 Noise Kit contents
Old 10-14-17, 05:21 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Good to know they offer that, but for $150? for a couple pieces of foam and felt? I think I'll actually head to the IKEA down the street from me and buy some

In this instance, would foam or felt be the better noise suppressor?
Old 10-14-17, 05:40 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Good to know they offer that, but for $150? for a couple pieces of foam and felt? I think I'll actually head to the IKEA down the street from me and buy some

In this instance, would foam or felt be the better noise suppressor?
Your sliding interior Sunshade Trim is squeaking??

Use thin felt..

Otherwise, ask IKEA.