LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oil inside air hoses

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 03:16 AM
waeel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil inside air hoses

Hello All,

I notice that there is an oil inside the ventilation hoses
is that normal or there is something wrong with my car

see attachments
Old 10-20-17, 07:54 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Hard to tell from the pics where you mean. I believe what you're pointing to is just a insulation/reinforcement hose. Did you mean the hose inside that, with the clips to the main air intake?
Old 10-20-17, 08:10 AM
waeel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Hard to tell from the pics where you mean. I believe what you're pointing to is just a insulation/reinforcement hose. Did you mean the hose inside that, with the clips to the main air intake?

yes , the hoses inside that
Old 10-20-17, 01:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I have the same thing in mine and slight oil tracking into the throttle body. I check it once in a while, sometimes it's there sometimes it isn't. I have 163,000 miles on my car, I think it has to do with the PCV valve system...a little combustion is probably getting past the rings, adding pressure and it's escaping back up into the fresh air inlets. I haven't had a problem with it and I have seen it on other cars, but keep an eye on it.
Old 10-20-17, 02:00 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Is that the PCV return? Would explain oil in it.
Old 10-20-17, 02:50 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Could be. I can't think of any reason you'd get oil in the (interior cabin?) ventilation air hoses
Old 10-20-17, 03:31 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

They're plumbed into the intake, would not be interior.
Old 10-22-17, 05:36 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

It's not interior air but it is "fresh air" provided to the PCV system. Filtered air is provided to the valve covers, it travels down to the crankcase and it purges crankcase fumes back up through the PCV valve or port, back into the intake manifold to get put back into the cylinders to be combusted.

I'm susrprised there hasn't been more threads on this oil coming back up into those hoses posted on here. I posted a thread about it a year ago. Honestly I just don't think many people have those hoses off enough to realize they are probably losing some oil there, and it's going right back into the intake, throttle body and it's probably gathering on your valves building up some carbon.

Someone smarter than me should come up with an idea to prevent this...some sort of catch can or something. And it's not like you can easily replace your PCV valve, it's buried underneath the intake manifold (and it probably wouldn't help anyway). But I imagine many members on here with over 100,000 are experiencing this without even knowing it (my car didn't start to do this until I hit around 120,000 miles).
Old 10-22-17, 06:05 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

There are a lot of posts on catch cans on the IS forum. With the 250's direct-only injection, its a major source of concern for deposits on the intake valves from "oily" air coming back into the system.
Old 10-22-17, 06:20 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

As piston rings wear, they leak more combustion gas into the crankcase, pressurizing it. This pressure has to be vented and burned (since 1964, by law) since (at that time when ring technology wasn't very good) it accounted for about half of total emissions output of an automobile engine. The challenge is that this pressure carries oil with it, which must be separated and returned to the sump to prevent oil burning. If the PCV system malfunctions, it can cause this condition, which is known as oil carryover. It actually is a big problem on non-D4S engines like Ecoboost (before they finally got smart in 2017 and copied Lexus), because oil deposits on the back of the intake valves and with no port injector spraying at the valve, the oil builds up and blocks airflow. On our cars, the port injectors wash the backs of the intake valves - but excessive oil carryover is still an issue. Oil ring deposits are often the cause of this.
The following users liked this post:
fooldall1 (02-19-20)
Old 10-22-17, 09:38 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

The ecoboost has a big problem with this, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a Ford without this oil tracking back into the throttle body. It's a big deal with their turbo intercoolers as well, oil and moisture are mixing with the air causing all sorts of nasty buildup on those valves. When this first started happening Ford's solution was to replace the heads, imagine that? But people have come up with some decent solutions to their intercooler problems...drilling a hole at the bottom corner, catch cans, and the factory recall (shield over the cooler). Hard to believe they actually built a cooler that works too well and casuses all that condensation.

GM has issues too with their PCV system in their direct injection engines, oil pools in the air snorkel before the throttle body. Many solutions online.

Direct injection - from what I've been hearing - is doing a number on oil and oil rings. What I've heard is the high pressure of the spray pushes carbon past the rings and it's lodging into the oil rings and lands, causing them to stick and not do their job. Lots of oil consumption problems, lots of excessive crankcase pressure. Guys that work for Audi and BMW have been telling me when they take apart the engines they can't even get the rings off the pistons...that they are so stuck in those lands that it amazes them. Crazy.

I find my car consumes oil only when I let the oil change interval go beyond 5,000 miles...don't know if it's causing problems with the oil ring at that point, or it has sheared too much, or what. But it's real and it happens every single time. No oil consumption the first 4-5 thousand miles, after that? It consumes it.
Old 10-23-17, 12:48 AM
waeel
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for your replies.
Is that a problem from PCV or it is normal ?? because I notice a lot of oil inside these hoses , and I don't think this is normal

Anybody knows where PCV valve location ?? if there is any images or diagrams for it

Thanks All
Old 10-23-17, 08:26 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Anybody knows where PCV valve location ?? if there is any images or diagrams for it
It's under the intake manifold. Alldata diy quotes 2.1 hours to change it. It's not an easy job like older cars were. You'll have to drain some coolant and the entire air filter and inlets are removed. Also, the injector and wiring harness are removed. THEN the fun starts.... removing the intake manifold. The PCV valve is then accessible down near the oil filter. If you haven't had the fuel gasket recall done, I'd have it replaced when they do that, since a lot of the work will be done getting to it.

I find my car consmes oil only when I let the oil change interval go beyond 5,000 miles...don't know if it's causing problems with the oil ring at that point, or it has sheared too much, or what. But it's real and it happens every single time. No oil consumption the first 4-5 thousand miles, after that? It consumes it.
Uncanny isn't it? When I hit the 5k mile mark, it's about the time I need to add a liter of oil....perfect time to do the oil change.
Old 10-23-17, 01:26 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Well I checked mine today and it was fine. I was at the 7,000 mile mark on my oil change - the max I'll go - decided to change the oil, clean the mass airflow sensors and throttle body...pulled off those hoses and there wasn't much in there (if anything) and the throttle body didn't have any oil tracking.

So I did notice this oil twice, and I also haven't seen it twice in the last two times I've checked (probably over 50,000 miles of driving now). So I don't exactly think it's a problem, as I said before, and I don't think it warrants a catch can (at least in my case).
Old 10-24-17, 04:03 AM
waeel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
It's under the intake manifold. Alldata diy quotes 2.1 hours to change it. It's not an easy job like older cars were. You'll have to drain some coolant and the entire air filter and inlets are removed. Also, the injector and wiring harness are removed. THEN the fun starts.... removing the intake manifold. The PCV valve is then accessible down near the oil filter. If you haven't had the fuel gasket recall done, I'd have it replaced when they do that, since a lot of the work will be done getting to it.

Uncanny isn't it? When I hit the 5k mile mark, it's about the time I need to add a liter of oil....perfect time to do the oil change.
Thanks man

is there 2 PCV valve or one ??

Quick Reply: Oil inside air hoses