RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Should I give up my 13 GS for a RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 08:58 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Should I give up my 13 GS for a RCF?

Hey there, I currently have a 13 GS 350 AWD, I live in Maryland and the winters can get bad here with snow; but I really would love to buy a RCF however giving up AWD is kinda hard!! I have always brought GS models with AWD. Anyone drive a RWD Lexus in the Northeast? If so how is it?
Old 11-02-17, 09:16 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,775 Posts

I would say yes. I purchased an RCF with only 8000 miles three weeks ago. It was in the beginning of October. Got to drive it for about 400 KM and I am so glad I made the leap. Best car I have ever driven. Even though, I can only drive it properly between April and October, it is still so worth it. The attention I get with this car, is just ridiculous. I live in Calgary, Alberta so it is our summer/nice days car. We daily drive the other car so unless the roads are completely clean, I will not take it out. I have 3M tape on the hood, fenders, A-pillar, mirrors and behind the door handles so that should help against any paint chips. If you want to daily drive in the winter, I highly recommend 3M clear tape and also with really good winter tires, you should be able to drive it in the winters.

As for mine, it is sitting in the garage hibernating

Old 11-02-17, 09:22 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I would say yes. I purchased an RCF with only 8000 miles three weeks ago. It was in the beginning of October. Got to drive it for about 400 KM and I am so glad I made the leap. Best car I have ever driven. Even though, I can only drive it properly between April and October, it is still so worth it. The attention I get with this car, is just ridiculous. I live in Calgary, Alberta so it is our summer/nice days car. We daily drive the other car so unless the roads are completely clean, I will not take it out. I have 3M tape on the hood, fenders, A-pillar, mirrors and behind the door handles so that should help against any paint chips. If you want to daily drive in the winter, I highly recommend 3M clear tape and also with really good winter tires, you should be able to drive it in the winters.

Nice RCF! I may just have to take the leap and just get a little beater to drive around during the winter months. I don't want to buy another F sport I want the actual F! You are further up north so I know its bad up there. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-02-17, 09:45 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

snow tires????
Old 11-02-17, 10:15 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Twizgs
Nice RCF! I may just have to take the leap and just get a little beater to drive around during the winter months. I don't want to buy another F sport I want the actual F! You are further up north so I know its bad up there. Thanks for the suggestion
I drove the IS350 F-Sport (3IS), IS350 (2IS), GS350, RC350 F-Sport in the previous years. RCF is simply a class of its own. I never remember getting blown away by those engines. The RCF sure has an engine that is a masterpiece. It is the center focal point of the car (that is why I bought an N/A high-strung V8 so that I can see myself appreciating it many years down the road when they are extinct). The only other engine that came close in terms of thrills and response was the E90 M3 V8 I drove some while ago.

Weather had been great up until two days ago. I drove the RCF on Monday with the family. Today we had our first snow fall day so it has gone officially into hibernation. Unless you really need to daily drive your RCF, putting it away for the winter months is probably the best idea since you cannot get to enjoy it properly on the bad winter days anyway. If one has to drive it in the winter, from what I have read, Nokian Hakka R or Bridgestone Blizzaks do a fine job with traction in the winter snow as long as one is careful with the throttle.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-02-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 12:16 PM
NYCRC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been driving with snow tires through the last two winters in NY with no issues. I have a very steep incline out of my garage that I need to feather the accelator if it hasn’t been cleared of snow but nothing aside from that.
Old 11-02-17, 12:53 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

I drove the IS350 F-Sport (3IS), IS350 (2IS), GS350, RC350 F-Sport in the previous years. RCF is simply a class of its own. I never remember getting blown away by those engines. The RCF sure has an engine that is a masterpiece. It is the center focal point of the car (that is why I bought an N/A high-strung V8 so that I can see myself appreciating it many years down the road when they are extinct). The only other engine that came close in terms of thrills and response was the E90 M3 V8 I drove some while ago.

Weather had been great up until two days ago. I drove the RCF on Monday with the family. Today we had our first snow fall day so it has gone officially into hibernation. Unless you really need to daily drive your RCF, putting it away for the winter months is probably the best idea since you cannot get to enjoy it properly on the bad winter days anyway. If one has to drive it in the winter, from what I have read, Nokian Hakka R or Bridgestone Blizzaks do a fine job with traction in the winter snow as long as one is careful with the throttle.
So Cool! Thanks for sharing I'll keep you posted and let you know what I decide.
Old 11-02-17, 01:00 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Just do it!!! You won't regret it!!!

Make sure you change out the OEM UHP SUMMER TIRES to at least ALL SEASONS tires. OR JUST GET A COMPLETE SET OF 4 DEDICATED SNOW TIRES (just switch out when spring rolls around).

Enjoy the ride!!!

Hey there, I currently have a 13 GS 350 AWD, I live in Maryland and the winters can get bad here with snow; but I really would love to buy a RCF however giving up AWD is kinda hard!! I have always brought GS models with AWD. Anyone drive a RWD Lexus in the Northeast? If so how is it?
Old 11-02-17, 01:09 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NYCRC
I’ve been driving with snow tires through the last two winters in NY with no issues. I have a very steep incline out of my garage that I need to feather the accelator if it hasn’t been cleared of snow but nothing aside from that.
Ok if so you know about the winters in the northeast as well! That's good to know I feel a little better about it, do you have another vehicle or is this a daily driving vehicle?
Old 11-02-17, 01:13 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Just do it!!! You won't regret it!!!

Make sure you change out the OEM UHP SUMMER TIRES to at least ALL SEASONS tires. OR JUST GET A COMPLETE SET OF 4 DEDICATED SNOW TIRES (just switch out when spring rolls around).

Enjoy the ride!!!
If I do go with the RCF I think I will go with the All Season tires, But I wonder how that would effect performance, closest thing to a "F" I owned was a GS F sport AWD with all season tires.
Old 11-02-17, 01:36 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Uhhh I don't know about Corolla but I personally think that is a little over board. Try to enjoy the car without worrying about everything so much. The car looks great without all the tape and you'll appreciate the car much more! It's like buying a new TV and leaving all the plastic on it or wrapping a tv remote with plastic wrap hahah jk. Also, the power isn't over bearing, it actually doesn't have enough in my opinion. Engine is good and liable but you will be disappointed from time to time if you try and race other cars in the same class. You won't win a single race with any car in your class. Other than that though the car is pretty cool, looks and sounds good, plus you'll never have to worry about it breaking down. Thats the reason why i picked it over other cars i was looking at. I have my GS350 F sport still and got the RCF as a weekend ride and for some reason I don't feel a huge power difference, maybe its just me but you should definitely drive the car s few times before pulling the trigger. I do like my RCF and all but the room is too cramped and the car isn't as luxurious as the GS. So if you like having the parking sensors, larger nav, more room, more comfortable ride, and all the other things the GS has that the RC doesn't than I would give it a second thought. The RCF is an awesome car but it's totally up to what you like and what you don't. If you prefer luxury over performance than I would stick w the GS or get a GSF possibly. Theres a new GSF coming in just a few years if you can wait, i'm sure that one is gonna be a lot better than the one out now. Different strokes for different folks! LMK if you have any questions!

Last edited by mjn88; 11-02-17 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-02-17, 02:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^

Just to clarify, at least from my experience, the differences overall were very big between say, IS350 F-Sport/GS350 F-Sport and the RCF. Not just acceleration wise, but how quick the corner can turn. I have the TVD as well, which allows you to keep the throttle pinned through the turn as the nose turns in harder.

From a metrics stand point, RCF is 0-60 mph in about 4.3 seconds while the GS350 and IS350 are in the 5.6 - 5.7 seconds region. That would be considered a very big difference as it stretches to about 1.5 seconds difference by the 1/4 mile. This could very well be due to RCF's powerband being deceptive as it is very linear from 3000 rpm to redline.

Regarding drag racing, personally I never bought the car to drag race anyone. I fully understood some of the cars in the class as C63S, M4 and the new Camaro SS etc. are quicker. I drove an M4 and E90 M3. I found the E90 M3 to be far more exciting to drive than the M4. I wanted a high strung V8, which is why I decided on the RCF.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-02-17 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-02-17, 04:40 PM
SunnyHMoon
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Beauty ride! One of my favourite paints from Lexus. When it's cruising season next year, we should definitely get together as I live in Calgary as well. Unfortunately only have an IS350 so I can't keep up haha but it'd be cool to meet someone from the forum that also lives in Calgary.
Old 11-02-17, 05:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I ordered Michelin AS 3+ for both of my RCF and MB SLK55 AMG. I already had them put on the SLK55 AMG and it's all good. Didn't get a chance to put them on the RCF yet. But I'll have to do it soon as the temperature is dropping later on in the season where my RCF is located.

I had the previous generation of the Michelin AS Plus on my SLK55 AMG and they performed VERY WELL in WET weather, but NOT FREEZING. I didn't encounter any real "snow" either with them. My main objective is to have good traction in wet cold/dry cold weather, but not freezing or snow.

BTW, the OEM UHP SUMMER TIRES on the RCF will be DANGEROUS when ambient temperature drops below 40 even in DRY conditions. This is due to the rubber compounds turning rock hard and will literally crack. Don't risk it!!!

If I do go with the RCF I think I will go with the All Season tires, But I wonder how that would effect performance, closest thing to a "F" I owned was a GS F sport AWD with all season tires.
Old 11-02-17, 06:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SunnyHMoon
Beauty ride! One of my favourite paints from Lexus. When it's cruising season next year, we should definitely get together as I live in Calgary as well. Unfortunately only have an IS350 so I can't keep up haha but it'd be cool to meet someone from the forum that also lives in Calgary.
Thanks for the very nice complements.

Good to see another member from Calgary. IS350 is a very nice car and I really liked it when I test drove it so there is nothing unfortunate about it. For sure, we can meet up next season and go for a cruise. Another RCF owner (Z3NK1) also expressed the same idea so we can have a few people together. Cheers!

Quick Reply: Should I give up my 13 GS for a RCF?