Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Early non tripod 5 speed manual owners how do you replace rubber boot over shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 02:51 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Early non tripod 5 speed manual owners how do you replace rubber boot over shifter

Of course I don’t mean the rubber boot in the interior of the car I am talking about the small boot over the shifter pivot point that keeps dirt out of the transmission. I cannot figure out how to get the shift lever apart to be able to slide the boot onto the shift lever.

3355H is the part I am referring to.

Last edited by RXRodger; 11-07-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 09:29 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey there, I'm in the same boat and have wondered on this awhile now. I think the only way is to unscrew the actual shift know and slide it over the bulk of the shifter. But I'd
charley
Old 11-07-17, 09:55 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,236 Likes on 864 Posts

Hey. My car has one of the old 1992-1994 OEM shifters with the factory boot setup (underneath the console shifter bezel leather). If memory serves from the last time I took it off, there are several 8mm or 10mm bolts that go around to seal up the first rubber boot layer. Then there is a second inner rubber boot inside that. Once you get past both layers (and don't damage the rubber boots because they are there to isolate sound and also heat from the trans tunnel) you can then access the swan shifter itself which is held in with four bolts in the picture you posted above. A gasket also goes between the shift housing of the transmission and the metal plate on your shifter just above the round upper pivot ball.

It has been quite a while since I've had to get in there but I think that's the gist of it.

Come to think of it... the order might be four big bolts for the main boot and then the many more bolts for the small under boot.

Again... I'm not referring to the console shift bezel with its leather boot or the shift ****. Those are easy. Although a tip for removing that console bezel safely: remove your center cupholder and reach in with your fingers to pop the lower two plastic notches... then open the flip lid where the ashtray and DC port are located and *carefully* push back the little catch button while you grip the upper area of the bezel's inner lip (where the leather is) to *gently* pull up on the left side. Then the right side. Doing it this way can help to preserve your factory M/T shift bezel and stress it as little as possible during removal.

Also, if you are going to remove your shifter for any reason you should replace the shifter seat and bushing while you're in there. Cheap parts. Marlin Crawler sells the best ones (made of solid nylon) but they can be very tight to get in there with the correct alignment. The direct Toyota replacement bushings usually need replacement after a number of years as they can deteriorate.

Also, if you must use a knife to cut off an old stubborn lower shifter bushing (33548F in your picture above) be careful as you do it. Use some thick cloth safety gloves. It's not worth slicing your finger or hand over to get it off. Also, try to avoid nicking the metal of the shifter.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-07-17 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 01:26 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

you have a second boot over this fixed with 4 bolts.

Part number rubber boot 58280-24010
Part number bolts 90159-60310

greets

Tom
Old 11-08-17, 12:21 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

You all have missed my question. I know where the boot is and what it does and how to remove the shifter, my question is how do you get the new boot on to the shift lever? Look at the picture, the boot 33555H has to go on the rod rod above the plate with the 4 bolts but below the larger round part the shift **** goes on. It won’t slide over the shifter and it won’t go over the plate with 4 bolts so something has to come apart. I can not get the shift lever apart to slide the boot into its position. I tore one up trying.

Edit: I think I realize some of the confusion. There are actually 3 boots with the manual trans. There is the interior cosmetic boot and another rubber boot that bolts to the tunnel to seal off air from under the car. I am not talking about those, there is a small boot that seals the top of the shifter to keep dirt out of the trans shown in the drawing above, that is the one I am referring to. There is also a rubber pad that seals around that and also inside the tunnel boot that further isolates things, it is shown as 33555G in the parts breakdown.

Let me explain why this is important. I have torn down 4 W58 transmissions and have found these boots to be bad on all 4. Due to this failure all 4 had huge amounts of dirt in the tail housings. This leads to some premature failures that I want to seal up and prevent once I have them clean and resealed.

Last edited by RXRodger; 11-08-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 12:18 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

You can cut the shifter and fit the rubber and weld it. no other way, sorry.
Old 11-09-17, 03:10 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boergy
You can cut the shifter and fit the rubber and weld it. no other way, sorry.
I was hoping for a better solution but that is what I had come to as well. Thank you for the reply.
Old 11-10-17, 04:04 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If the boot (part number 33555-22050) is able to be purchased separately from the dealer, then there HAS to be way to remove it or install it without cutting anything...Being how it's made out of rubber, can't you simply stretch the boot over the shifter to remove and install it? You will be surprised on how much that brand new rubber will stretch.
Old 11-10-17, 04:19 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Luxor
If the boot (part number 33555-22050) is able to be purchased separately from the dealer, then there HAS to be way to remove it or install it without cutting anything...Being how it's made out of rubber, can't you simply stretch the boot over the shifter to remove and install it? You will be surprised on how much that brand new rubber will stretch.
It won't stretch that much. Your point is why I have come on here and asked. It would seem there would have to be a way but having destroyed one shift lever and then having to put a bolt/pin through the fat part of the shift lever to keep it together, I am all out of ideas. It seems like the part of the shift lever mounted in rubber that goes on the shaft that the boot in question seals on is glued on to that shaft. I put it in a vice, tried twisting, pulling, beating, etc to get it to turn loose from the metal but it is just glued too well.

This is on my spare trans on bench so you can see the issue better.
From below (ignore trans below, I just have the shift lever stuck in upside down so I could take the pic)

Last edited by RXRodger; 11-10-17 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added pic