RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Clean Wireless Charging Solution

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 05:27 PM
Ttran88
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clean Wireless Charging Solution

Here’s an option if you’re like me and like a wireless charging solution with no visible cords and don’t have the factory QI integration. It allows you to see google maps while charging! I placed a magnetic plate in the phone case so it mounts onto the charger. There are other solutions but requires a mount and doesn't look clean at all and there is a microusb cable coming out of it. This one goes right into the cigarette charger. Link if interested.

Last edited by Ttran88; 11-05-17 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DenverRx (11-06-17)
Old 11-06-17, 11:42 AM
greatalok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the charging works effectively after you place the metal plate on to the phone? I have the new iPhone X and am wondering if the wireless charging will work with the metal plate.
Old 11-06-17, 12:18 PM
Ttran88
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greatalok
Does the charging works effectively after you place the metal plate on to the phone? I have the new iPhone X and am wondering if the wireless charging will work with the metal plate.
I have the iPhone X as well. The QI receiver is in the middle of the phone. I placed the magnet on the bottom and top behind the case and it stays mounted
Old 11-06-17, 01:25 PM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ttran88
I have the iPhone X as well. The QI receiver is in the middle of the phone. I placed the magnet on the bottom and top behind the case and it stays mounted
Please post the link where to buy. I agree it has a much cleaner look than other units on amazon, as well as great placement for viewing. I want one!
Old 11-06-17, 02:39 PM
yang88she
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice! Thanks for the link, does it charge pretty and stay in place?
Old 11-07-17, 07:37 AM
TominBoise
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

how does it see google maps while charging? Do you need to set something up?
Old 11-07-17, 07:57 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to wireless charging, just heads up, the metal plate at the back of the phone will absorb energy with no where to discharge its energy (heat), if you feel your phones are getting too hot, you'd need to find another solution.
Old 11-07-17, 08:16 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Does that device charge well? The NX's OEM version only does a good job maintaining a charge instead of charging.
Old 11-07-17, 08:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

After having used wireless chargers for a couple of years, I've pretty much stopped using them. While there is a convenience factor related to being able just to place the phone on the charger, I've found that even supposedly "fast chargers" only charge at a rate that is less than half of that of a wired charger. When using apps on the phone and, especially, when using the screen, the wireless chargers barely maintain the charge level and can even lose charge level, and any gain in the charge level of the phone is essentially non-existent.
Old 11-07-17, 09:42 AM
DenverRx
Intermediate

I have been using Qi chargers for my Nexus 5 for years. It takes about an hour to get a full charge, I almost never plug in my phone. This unit puts the phone in a great location for viewing and charges at the same time (I don't care if the slow charging is only maintaining a level to power your app like google maps). I'm wondering if metal ring you attach to your phone is magnetic or just metal, and the base is magnetic. I have a magnetic phone holder that fits in my CD slot, and my phone has enough metal it holds in place without using the provided metal sticky. Please post a link where to buy!!
Old 11-12-17, 05:19 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

I just completed my own Sunday clean wireless charging project after receiving my iPhone X earlier this week. I basically redesigned my previous solution to support Qi wireless charging.

Pros:
-magnetic - just throw it on without any alignment and it starts charging. Also easy to grab and go
-phone is closer to eye level (less looking up and down and refocusing)
-still able to use the cup holders without blocking the phone
-compatible with tons of cheap Qi receivers
Cons: Cable still visible and Qi receiver is bulky (they do make smaller ones though)

1. Hide a receiving ring underneath your phone case or skin (see magnet underneath my old iPhone 7 Plus):

2. Mount the receiver:

3. Run a 4' cable behind the side of the center console:

4. Put the Qi receiver on the base and plug it in:

5. Enjoy!

6. Doesn't block CDs:
Old 11-12-17, 05:27 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by lesz
After having used wireless chargers for a couple of years, I've pretty much stopped using them. While there is a convenience factor related to being able just to place the phone on the charger, I've found that even supposedly "fast chargers" only charge at a rate that is less than half of that of a wired charger. When using apps on the phone and, especially, when using the screen, the wireless chargers barely maintain the charge level and can even lose charge level, and any gain in the charge level of the phone is essentially non-existent.
So far the charger is about as fast as plugging the phone into the car's USB port. I can use energy hogging GPS apps with the screen on and the phone's charge level still increases. This will only increase once they update the iPhone X to accept 7.5W charging.

You have to remember that for a 1A (5W) wireless output, you need a 2A power source. Even if you have a 2A power source it may not actually be outputting 2A. I am using a 40W 5-port USB charger in my car which is definitely capable of putting out a 2A current.
Old 11-20-17, 09:18 AM
DenverRx
Intermediate

I purchased the cigarette lighter Qi charger from amazon. It would not charge my phone (Nexus 5), but apparently works for other Qi enabled phones. My phone has a lot of metal, but would barely hold onto this magnet base. If it works for your phone, you have to use the supplied magnet which fits between the phone and its cover and hope it doesn't interfere with charging. Bummed, I really wanted this to work.
Old 11-20-17, 11:20 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by DenverRx
I purchased the cigarette lighter Qi charger from amazon. It would not charge my phone (Nexus 5), but apparently works for other Qi enabled phones. My phone has a lot of metal, but would barely hold onto this magnet base. If it works for your phone, you have to use the supplied magnet which fits between the phone and its cover and hope it doesn't interfere with charging. Bummed, I really wanted this to work.
If your phone is Qi compatible, I would not expect magnetic metal to be added to the back as it would block Qi induction. The metal ring I added is a circle that does not block the Qi coils.
Old 11-20-17, 11:40 AM
DenverRx
Intermediate

I couldn't get my phone to charge even by holding it up to this charger without the metal ring (& taken out of its case). I have 2 nokia plug in Qi chargers that work great with this phone. I guess not compatible...

Quick Reply: Clean Wireless Charging Solution