GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carbon Fiber Door Handle...PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 07:01 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I got a huge roll of the 5d fiber recently but haven't used it much yet. You mentioned getting real mirror carbon fiber, have any more info on that by chance?
Old 03-28-17, 07:37 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I got a huge roll of the 5d fiber recently but haven't used it much yet. You mentioned getting real mirror carbon fiber, have any more info on that by chance?
They are mirror covers skinned with real carbon fiber. The ones I ordered aren't on Ebay anymore but here is a link to another set. Mine were more expensive but I'm sure it's the same thing for the most part...kinda wish I would've seen these lol.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...dYyj8Y&vxp=mtr

I saw a thread on the forum of a guy who got these for his IS and I was impressed to be honest. I'll probably have the posts (bottom) of the mirrors wrapped but depends on how it all looks once I get them. Here's that thread link and a pic:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...or-covers.html

Name:  59B5A6F6-23F7-4A0B-ABC1-E3642B8AAEE3_zpszv9vq9tf.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  174.1 KB
Old 03-28-17, 08:01 AM
bjnzzzle
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
They are mirror covers skinned with real carbon fiber. The ones I ordered aren't on Ebay anymore but here is a link to another set. Mine were more expensive but I'm sure it's the same thing for the most part...kinda wish I would've seen these lol.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...dYyj8Y&vxp=mtr

I saw a thread on the forum of a guy who got these for his IS and I was impressed to be honest. I'll probably have the posts (bottom) of the mirrors wrapped but depends on how it all looks once I get them. Here's that thread link and a pic:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...or-covers.html
That's look so nice! Hey man, show us some pics after you installed Thanks!
Old 03-28-17, 10:25 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Thanks and yeah I'll definitely post pics once installed...just taking forever for them to arrive!!!
Old 03-28-17, 10:47 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Thanks and yeah I'll definitely post pics once installed...just taking forever for them to arrive!!!
Let us know if there's any additional wind noise. I remember some people complaining about significant wind noise when they the mirrors had clear bra. Once removed it was quiet again. Looks like a nice mod though!
The following users liked this post:
JWBlakk (03-28-17)
Old 03-28-17, 10:52 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
Let us know if there's any additional wind noise. I remember some people complaining about significant wind noise when they the mirrors had clear bra. Once removed it was quiet again. Looks like a nice mod though!
Thanks and I'll definitely give my input on wind noise once installed. I drive with my music kinda loud all the time so new wind noise, if not too noticeable, will probably not be an issue for me.
Old 11-13-17, 12:34 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Question

Thanks and I'll definitely give my input on wind noise once installed. I drive with my music kinda loud all the time so new wind noise, if not too noticeable, will probably not be an issue for me.
Installed yet? Would like to see how the mirrors look with the 5D CF.
Old 11-13-17, 01:36 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
I have used the 5d material and its pretty hard to bend properly. I attempted it on my mirrors and gave up, my interior is done in 5d. I recently bought the CF mirror caps for $100 on ebay and I've been happy with them. Its not a perfect fit, but the slight gap is only noticeable from the inside and isn't even visible looking at the car, think the inner part of the mirror.
Old 11-13-17, 01:47 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I have used the 5d material and its pretty hard to bend properly. I attempted it on my mirrors and gave up, my interior is done in 5d. I recently bought the CF mirror caps for $100 on ebay and I've been happy with them. Its not a perfect fit, but the slight gap is only noticeable from the inside and isn't even visible looking at the car, think the inner part of the mirror.
So do you recommend wrapping the mirrors with the 5D CF OR getting the Aftermarket CF covers?
Old 11-13-17, 02:13 PM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by finny76
I installed but took my CF mirror covers off short after and went with black OEM covers that screw on and replace the original outer mirror covers - much sturdier. I'll wrap the bases black once I get to it. Here is a pic.
Old 08-26-19, 09:21 PM
ltran1993
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed but took my CF mirror covers off short after and went with black OEM covers that screw on and replace the original outer mirror covers - much sturdier. I'll wrap the bases black once I get to it. Here is a pic.

how is the smart lock on your car with the handle covers? I just got some covers for my 3is, but it doesn't look like the smart lock works since the hole isn't lined up perfectly. I haven't mounted them on with the 3M tape peeled yet, but it looks like it'll be an issue regardless. Thoughts or suggestions??
Old 08-27-19, 06:22 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 363 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ltran1993
how is the smart lock on your car with the handle covers? I just got some covers for my 3is, but it doesn't look like the smart lock works since the hole isn't lined up perfectly. I haven't mounted them on with the 3M tape peeled yet, but it looks like it'll be an issue regardless. Thoughts or suggestions??
This is the problem I had with covers, so I returned them and went with wrap instead.
Old 08-27-19, 06:41 AM
ltran1993
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by np20412
This is the problem I had with covers, so I returned them and went with wrap instead.

Ahh okok glad it isn't just me lol did you have to remove the entire door handle to wrap or did you just tug around the corners? Did you also ever end up wrapping the base of the side mirrors as well? I have black oem mirror covers for mine but want to have the base blacked out to have a cleaner "crafted line" appearance as well.
Old 08-27-19, 07:09 AM
ltran1993
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by np20412
Also, does your smart lock work through the wrap? I'd assume so since wrap is pretty thin
Old 08-27-19, 07:25 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Also, does your smart lock work through the wrap? I'd assume so since wrap is pretty thin
I don't have the GS anymore but yes I lost the smart lock on the doors when those covers were on. I have an NX F Sport now and found thin black Titanium door handle covers and the cutout for the the locks work on it.

Ahh okok glad it isn't just me lol did you have to remove the entire door handle to wrap or did you just tug around the corners? Did you also ever end up wrapping the base of the side mirrors as well? I have black oem mirror covers for mine but want to have the base blacked out to have a cleaner "crafted line" appearance as well.
I never ended up wrapping the mirror bases but would have if I kept the GS. So glad that my NX already has black mirrors haha,

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Door Handle...PICS