Gauging Interest: GX460 Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 08:39 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,384 Likes on 636 Posts
Lightbulb Gauging Interest: GX460 Forced Induction

Hi Everyone,

So we are thinking of taking on GX460 development in a big way. In case you haven't heard of us, please check the ISF, RCF, and IS3xx forums and you will find a lot of great info/reviews on our Superchargers and suspension products for those cars.

Here is the question:

(1) Would you be interested in forced induction option for the GX460. Either turbo or SC kit, with minimum 100hp increase in power as a "Stage I" kit?
(2) How much would you be willing to pay for a Stage I 100hp kit?

We are certain we can tune the ECU and make it safe and reliable, just a question of whether there is demand here or not.

I personally own a GX470 as my family car, which I absolutely love. So thinking of trading it for a GX460 to use as a development mule for SC/turbo, exhaust, tunes, etc.

thanks, and looking forward to some feedback!

Pic below of our RCF supercharger kit (a GX kit would be much less expensive, I know

Rafi

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 11-16-17, 09:14 AM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am interested. I recognize that forced induction on the 460 is kind of no man's land at this point, so I'd really be interested in what would be involved in terms of parts and tuning and maintaining a reasonable amount of reliability.

Realistically, I'd pay up to 7k for a total SC'd solution with proven reliability.
The following users liked this post:
BellGX460 (04-01-23)
Old 11-16-17, 01:51 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

I was highly interested in this when I first bought my GX 2 years old and under 40k miles. Now 6+ years old and 107k miles I am not sure I would spend the money on this GX. So far I see nothing but a newer GX in my future and I would definitely be in.
Old 11-16-17, 05:15 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

As the owner and sole operator of my GX 460, it's not for me. I consider myself young, but drive conservatively -aka like grandpa. I like my vehicle setup the way it is. And I think there are quite a GXs driven by females as well.
Old 11-16-17, 09:11 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

We live at high altitude, so it certainly would be of benefit. Since our GX is new, I would be concerned about warrantee issues. But if that was covered, it would be great. I probably would be wanting turbo "normalized" more than the extra HP. I have no idea what it would be worth.
Old 11-17-17, 07:34 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
We live at high altitude, so it certainly would be of benefit. Since our GX is new, I would be concerned about warrantee issues. But if that was covered, it would be great. I probably would be wanting turbo "normalized" more than the extra HP. I have no idea what it would be worth.
I am also kind of leaning towards turbo setup rather than SC, but we will see.

Rafi

Old 11-17-17, 02:56 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Not personally interested but glad to see some interest in performance mods on the platform for those who desire those mods.
Old 11-17-17, 05:42 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

I think I would like the SC better than a turbo, but "normalized" instead of charged would be good. I don't think the extra power is really what we would need/want. Just keeping what we have at high density altitudes would be great.
Old 11-19-17, 09:52 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The first few days of ownership I felt like it could have benefited from an extra 100 hp. After living with the vehicle for a couple of months I've come to the realization that its a 5,300lb tank and not a sports car. Towing the boat to the lake with the GX was effortless an additional 100hp was not needed as my first gut instinct suggested. I have had some powerful vehicles and modern sport bikes in my time and my gut opinion is that this vehicle has adequate power for the purpose of the vehicle. The additional cost and maintenance required for a forced induction setup isn't for me. I'm going to stick with the stock reliable power that the Lexus brand is known for. As for the others with deeper pockets I say go for it. An extra 100hp would be good to have if they know all the risks associated with forced induction. If they are not educated on the subject and blow up a motor it will be a very expensive learning mistake, one I hope that you are willing to let them know about before hand.

I do have some questions for you regarding the tuning and development of the kit. Does your tuning include modification of the ignition timing to keep the parameters in a safe tolerance for reliability? What are your air fuel ratio projections for this engine? Are you going to keep the stock internals or does the kit also require new pistons & connecting rods? I personally feel that this would be the optional way to design a system in order get the best compression ratio to benefit from forced induction. What type of pressures are you planning on running on stock internals? Is this going to run on pump gas or is there a possibility of a separate tune for those that want to step up to race fuel?
Old 11-19-17, 03:33 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitabel
"Normalized" costs almost the same as +100 hp - what's the point?
Lots less stress on the engine, lower combustion temps, etc. Just keep sea level power at high altitude, without limiting engine life. There is a reason Toyota no longer offers the kit for their vehicles. I am told the company that made the kit for Toyota, still has it available. I can't remember if that was for the 4.0. or the 5.7 ltr engines.
Old 11-19-17, 07:05 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

And........Your not going to use it...REALLY......... I'm, a pretty responsible driver, and very conservative on the street. But I would have trouble NOT using it occasionally. Most people are not responsible drivers, so.......................
Old 11-20-17, 04:46 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
The first few days of ownership I felt like it could have benefited from an extra 100 hp. After living with the vehicle for a couple of months I've come to the realization that its a 5,300lb tank and not a sports car. Towing the boat to the lake with the GX was effortless an additional 100hp was not needed as my first gut instinct suggested. I have had some powerful vehicles and modern sport bikes in my time and my gut opinion is that this vehicle has adequate power for the purpose of the vehicle. The additional cost and maintenance required for a forced induction setup isn't for me. I'm going to stick with the stock reliable power that the Lexus brand is known for. As for the others with deeper pockets I say go for it. An extra 100hp would be good to have if they know all the risks associated with forced induction. If they are not educated on the subject and blow up a motor it will be a very expensive learning mistake, one I hope that you are willing to let them know about before hand.

I do have some questions for you regarding the tuning and development of the kit. Does your tuning include modification of the ignition timing to keep the parameters in a safe tolerance for reliability? What are your air fuel ratio projections for this engine? Are you going to keep the stock internals or does the kit also require new pistons & connecting rods? I personally feel that this would be the optional way to design a system in order get the best compression ratio to benefit from forced induction. What type of pressures are you planning on running on stock internals? Is this going to run on pump gas or is there a possibility of a separate tune for those that want to step up to race fuel?
Hi... well it should go without saying that we will fully tune the ECU. It would take only about 6psi boost to make an additional 100hp.

Rafi

Old 11-20-17, 07:05 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the gX cannot handle this upgrade in power - specifically the tranny and brake systems.
otherwise, nice idea.
Its not the same as rcf gsf and lc500 boss...

Just wait until 2019. Forced induction is already on its way to ALL suvs in lexus lineup
Old 11-20-17, 07:31 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Another reason I would opt for "normalized" instead of the extra power. Would be nice though to have sea level standard day power, @ 10,000 ft density altitude. And we get those conditions a lot here.
Old 11-21-17, 05:12 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by T4Fun
the gX cannot handle this upgrade in power - specifically the tranny and brake systems.
otherwise, nice idea.
Its not the same as rcf gsf and lc500 boss...

Just wait until 2019. Forced induction is already on its way to ALL suvs in lexus lineup
good point... RCF and ISF can handle the extra power, unlike a Charger... those hellcats are slow AF on a real track

Rafi

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: GX460 Forced Induction