Picks of Double Din Aftermarket Nav units installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 10:13 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
Default My humble submission

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails Picks of Double Din Aftermarket Nav units installed-reverse.png  
Old 11-21-17, 07:53 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

That looks good!
Old 11-21-17, 11:02 AM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Updated pictures with the Popformance touch screen climate controller. With the iPhone 7+ mounted in the holder (no pics with it in place yet) there are 3 touch screens in play.....

Old 12-08-17, 03:53 PM
dadswrld
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Updated pictures with the Popformance touch screen climate controller. With the iPhone 7+ mounted in the holder (no pics with it in place yet) there are 3 touch screens in play.....

That looks real nice! Are those climate controls still available?
Old 12-09-17, 10:44 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

What's regarded as the best unit you can install in the SC? Do they all have GPS or no?
Old 12-09-17, 12:04 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dadswrld
That looks real nice! Are those climate controls still available?
I do not believe so. Patrick (the inventor/manufacturer) did at least 2 production runs that I know about. Here is a link to his web site and you may want to contact him to see if has returned units that he refurbished. The site shows these as "Sold Out".

http://www.popformance.com/products/lxcc/

Some members did not take to the look and went back to the OEM controller so there may be some for resale. I kept my original controller as a back up as initially these were buggy but Patrick fixed all the issues I had quite swiftly so I had a good experience. The unit performs well so far.
Old 12-19-17, 06:12 AM
dadswrld
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not believe so. Patrick (the inventor/manufacturer) did at least 2 production runs that I know about. Here is a link to his web site and you may want to contact him to see if has returned units that he refurbished. The site shows these as "Sold Out".

Some members did not take to the look and went back to the OEM controller so there may be some for resale. I kept my original controller as a back up as initially these were buggy but Patrick fixed all the issues I had quite swiftly so I had a good experience. The unit performs well so far.
Thank you sir for the response. Merry Christmas and all the best.
Old 12-29-17, 04:56 PM
Deathbarel
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i put in a toyota factory nav but its too wide. what can i do?
Old 12-30-17, 02:30 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Not much. The temperature **** will likely not clear so modifying the trim piece is out.... Best to purchase/acquire a properly sized unit...... The Pioneer model I have used a trim piece to fill in the gap as it was slightly smaller than the OEM fitment.
Attached Thumbnails Picks of Double Din Aftermarket Nav units installed-sc300-94-a.jpeg   Picks of Double Din Aftermarket Nav units installed-sc300-94.jpeg   Picks of Double Din Aftermarket Nav units installed-sc300-209.jpg  
Old 12-30-17, 07:51 PM
Deathbarel
Driver

i just dont like aftermarket units
Old 01-01-18, 11:40 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathbarel
i just dont like aftermarket units
Then get a factory unit that's the same size as Single or Double DIN. Buying the fancy new stuff is a losing proposition, because so much of it is proprietary to the dash layout. You'll probably have to go back to the late-90s / early-00s for that, at which point you're gambling on finding one in good shape.

Long story short, stick with OEM or bite the bullet and go aftermarket. I'd post pics of my Double DIN touchscreen, but it's sunny out so I can't see it.
Old 01-01-18, 12:39 PM
Deathbarel
Driver

any cars you know of that came with a double din nav?
Old 01-30-18, 08:55 AM
Nycsupra
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He just reopened a couple weeks ago. I just purchased one, looking forward to this piece.
The following users liked this post:
Photon440 (02-03-18)
Old 01-31-18, 03:38 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Nycsupra
He just reopened a couple weeks ago. I just purchased one, looking forward to this piece.
Thank you for the heads up! That's good news for both wider availability and the add-on options and firmware updates. I've had mine on standby for a long time since I first got it. I learned the OEM Lexus Pioneer head unit generally doesn't work well with the LXCC. It pretty much has to be used in conjunction with a modern aftermarket stereo head unit to avoid audio interference issues. Other than that however, I liked it.

As to the thread topic though, I looked at every 2-DIN touchscreen head unit on the market a couple of years back and finally decided I'll soon go 1-DIN with a Continental TR7412UB-ORK and one of MLeopard's CAD designed 1-DIN & triple VDO gauge bezels. I think I could change my mind if the interfaces were less micro computers running operating systems and more like instant on solid state electronics booting from ROMs with much, much simpler interfaces. I've yet to see a system that boots ONLY into Apple CarPlay for instance but which still retains easy to use AM/FM/Aux-In functions as well.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-31-18 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 12:55 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
As to the thread topic though, I looked at every 2-DIN touchscreen head unit on the market a couple of years back and finally decided I'll soon go 1-DIN with a Continental TR7412UB-ORK and one of MLeopard's CAD designed 1-DIN & triple VDO gauge bezels. I think I could change my mind if the interfaces were less micro computers running operating systems and more like instant on solid state electronics booting from ROMs with much, much simpler interfaces. I've yet to see a system that boots ONLY into Apple CarPlay for instance but which still retains easy to use AM/FM/Aux-In functions as well.
You finally broke down and bought one, huh? I ended up with a fairly high end Kenwood Double DIN, but man does the screen glare and slow boot-up drive me crazy. (I wasn't willing to take the plunge on something without a volume **** at the very least.) I knew ahead of time it was slow, with reviews saying 18 seconds is to be expected, but you don't realize just how painfully long that is until you're backed down the driveway and halfway down the street before it's powered up. Makes the backup camera sorta useless.

You're spot on with the industry needing to wake up and realize that some features can wait and others need to be instant-on. That's asking a lot, though, when the emphasis is on features and usability takes a distant back seat.

Quick Reply: Picks of Double Din Aftermarket Nav units installed