GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fast clock solution?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 03:01 PM
eddoker
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fast clock solution?

I recently bought a 2013 GS 350 lux and have noticed that the analog clock runs fast. I tried to search the forums and found people had similar problems, but never saw a solution. It's not longer under warranty. Was buying a new clock the fix? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Yamafuturo (10-10-19)
Old 11-20-17, 03:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by eddoker
I recently bought a 2013 GS 350 lux and have noticed that the analog clock runs fast. I tried to search the forums and found people had similar problems, but never saw a solution. It's not longer under warranty. Was buying a new clock the fix? Thanks
Replacing the clock I think is what Lexus always did under warranty for the fix...
eddoker (11-20-17)
Old 11-21-17, 02:10 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

If you drive really fast, relativity will cancel it out.
bigbadron (09-03-18)
Old 11-21-17, 05:09 PM
eddoker
Driver School Candidate

I was looking at it today. apparently the previous owner installed a turbo in it 😒 I took it off it works fine now.
Old 11-21-17, 05:29 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I was looking at it today. apparently the previous owner installed a turbo in it 😒 I took it off it works fine now.
What was it you did to get the clock to keep correct time?
Old 11-22-17, 12:49 PM
eddoker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
What was it you did to get the clock to keep correct time?
I didnt. I was just trying to be sarcastic like the post above mine 😂😢
Old 11-22-17, 01:09 PM
lgwimmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my 2013 GS in for a recall today and asked about the clock, which is suffering the same fast-run problem experienced by many on these threads. The service advisor quoted $500 to have the clock replaced. Pretty terrible that such an expensive car has such a frequently faulty clock right in the center of dash. It seems like this is a design problem and those of us that experienced this design flaw out of warranty are out of luck.
Old 11-22-17, 01:25 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by lgwimmer
I took my 2013 GS in for a recall today and asked about the clock, which is suffering the same fast-run problem experienced by many on these threads. The service advisor quoted $500 to have the clock replaced. Pretty terrible that such an expensive car has such a frequently faulty clock right in the center of dash. It seems like this is a design problem and those of us that experienced this design flaw out of warranty are out of luck.
I bet clock is not manufactured by Toyota. Clock contains time base reference oscillator based on a crystal. If tolerance of the crystal is not tight clock may gain or lose time. Don't know if there is an adjustment
pot inside the clock to tweak the reference frequency. AC plugged in clocks are sync'ing itself to line frequency 60 Hertz. Most wall clocks and our daily wrist watches are atomic ones which does not need to adjust
time at all. My Casio G-shock is also solar powered. Can wear it any where any time. I don't think Lexus clock is sync'ing to time signal along with GPS.
Old 11-22-17, 01:33 PM
lgwimmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert, but my first thought was that the clock issue somehow relates to the battery, as it seems like the clocks run fast when the car is off for any moderate amount of time. Sifting through the forums, it seems like this is a consistent theme, when the car is off the clock runs fast.
Shello (02-27-20)
Old 11-22-17, 03:31 PM
eddoker
Driver School Candidate

it's crazy how common this problem is. I honestly wouldn't even care if I could display the digital clock on the nav or gauge cluster, but from my understanding the 2013s don't have that option 🤷
Old 11-22-17, 04:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

it's crazy how common this problem is. I honestly wouldn't even care if I could display the digital clock on the nav or gauge cluster, but from my understanding the 2013s don't have that option ��
I don't think it is a common problem at all.

It appears the clock's related circuitry is in a sealed case mounted directly behind the clock face. I don't know how difficult it may be to get into the case in order to test/repair/replace component(s) if you were so inclined, but it looks like the black part directly behind the clock bezel just unclips which likely gives access to the crystal oscillator and other related circuitry. I seriously doubt there is an adjustment that can be tweaked...

I looks like a new Lexus Clock P/N#83910-30620 is in the low $200 range for just the part...

Last edited by bclexus; 11-22-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 09:17 PM
eddoker
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bclexus
I don't think it is a common problem at all.

It appears the clock's related circuitry is in a sealed case mounted directly behind the clock face. I don't know how difficult it may be to get into the case in order to test/repair/replace component(s) if you were so inclined, but it looks like the black part directly behind the clock bezel just unclips which likely gives access to the crystal oscillator and other related circuitry. I seriously doubt there is an adjustment that can be tweaked...

I looks like a new Lexus Clock P/N#83910-30620 is in the low $200 range for just the part...

whoa thanks for the info! looks easy enough. I'll probably change it out myself one day and will revive this thread from the dead haha. Thanks for the part number though saves my lazy butt some time
Old 11-23-17, 02:45 PM
junglechkn
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I stopped messing with the clock after adjusting it 10 times. I wish the 2013 had a digital clock on the screen.
Old 11-24-17, 08:58 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You can pick up a vent panel which includes the clock off ebay for around $50-75. I picked up one to try and fix a rattling panel and grabbed one that included a clock. I'm planning on removing the clock from my old one and 3D printing a housing for it to use as a desk clock.
Old 11-27-17, 07:31 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My clock runs slow, about 1 minute every couple of months. I push the "UP" button once.....problem solved.

Quick Reply: Fast clock solution?