GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Annoying tick/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 11:12 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I remember when you posted when you got your new GS. I talked with Johnson Lexus in Raleigh today about possibly ordering a new F Sport. In the early stages now of starting my search. He said a special order would take 3-5 months to arrive. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do at this stage. I might buy one from dealer stock but dealer stock will not have triple beams on the RWD version. I'm pretty obcessed with that option but have to decide if it's worth the extra $$ to special order a car with it. A better deal will be had from dealer stock. Didn't you buy yours from Johnson?
Yes, Johnson in Raleigh. I bought the GS and LS from them. I actually did it all online and just had to go in and sign on the dotted line.

Last edited by 06ls430KTC; 11-07-17 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add something
Old 11-16-17, 04:27 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Well I am still trying to track down the noise. It seems like I have not had a lot of time because I have had the stomach flu. This evening I spent about an hour and a half putting foam and felt everywhere I could possibly reach but the noise is still there. I have ultimately come to conclude the outer trim piece around the instrument cluster may be the culprit and have removed it now. I will drive it tomorrow and see if any noise is still present. While the vent return and other components are out I have also applied some felt to various areas and clips on them. I hope you have this figured out this weekend and everything put back together. Will keep everyone updated!
Old 11-17-17, 04:37 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Driving in this morning, the noise was still there so it's not the instrument cluster outer trim piece. Instead of putting this back together, I may take it to the dealer and tell them to silence the noise.
Old 11-18-17, 02:34 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a temperature dependent "buzz" that I think I tracked down the cowl between the right side side view mirror and door.
Old 11-18-17, 05:09 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Unhappy

After many unsuccessful attempts over the past few days to locate and silence my noise, I went by the dealer today. I’m dropping it off Friday and they’re going to try to isolate the noise and eliminate it. If they can’t, the car is history!

I have removed the vent, speaker cover, and multiple trim pieces all of which I and the Lexus tech thought were the issue which they dutifully applied felt and foam. With these items removed, it’s clear they weren’t the issue because the noise is still there and now very easily heard. It appears to be deeper within the dash, windshield, cowel, but I really have no idea where!

I will report back next weekend or at which time I have an update. In the interim, I was going to blast the ML but instead decided to drive my 1988 Cadillac Fleetwood d’Elegance with 188k miles and hardly a noise inside! What a shame - I have a $60k GS that is a rattle can that I can’t stand to drive now and it’s not even a year old. I wish I still had my LS 430.
The following users liked this post:
6speediroc (12-27-17)
Old 11-19-17, 04:23 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I understand your frustration. It would be a shame that you would have to get rid of it after you just got it. Keep after the dealer service to get it right. It sounds like it's deep in the dash and will require removal of a lot of pieces to isolate the problem. Rattles in a car can be very hard to find but, I'm sure some of the most expensive cars can have this same issue. Knock on wood, my 14 RX only had one rattle that was easy to resolve and there are no more issues with the car after 3 years of ownership. I couldn't be more happy with how reliable this car has been since new. It could be worse, you could have a new one from the big 3 and constantly be in the shop.
Old 11-19-17, 06:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
After many unsuccessful attempts over the past few days to locate and silence my noise, I went by the dealer today. I’m dropping it off Friday and they’re going to try to isolate the noise and eliminate it. If they can’t, the car is history!

I have removed the vent, speaker cover, and multiple trim pieces all of which I and the Lexus tech thought were the issue which they dutifully applied felt and foam. With these items removed, it’s clear they weren’t the issue because the noise is still there and now very easily heard. It appears to be deeper within the dash, windshield, cowel, but I really have no idea where!

I will report back next weekend or at which time I have an update. In the interim, I was going to blast the ML but instead decided to drive my 1988 Cadillac Fleetwood d’Elegance with 188k miles and hardly a noise inside! What a shame - I have a $60k GS that is a rattle can that I can’t stand to drive now and it’s not even a year old. I wish I still had my LS 430.
They say that over 90% of the time a hard-to-locate tick/rattle noise in the dash is caused by plastic-on-plastic contact, and oftentimes to dissimilar plastics making contact with one another (e.g. clear plastic against black or soft plastic against hard).

I hope the dealer finds it for you...because it can be absolutely nerve-racking to umpteenth level.

Are you taking it to the Lexus dealer you bought the car from in Raleigh (I think it was), or to you local dealer in W-S?
Old 11-20-17, 04:51 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

I agree with you 100% bclexus, I do think it's plastic on plastic (or at least that is the noise it sounds like). Since I have had everything out, I was pleased to see just about everything I could see and feel had foam from the factory. I think this just points to a deeper noise somewhere in the dash.

I did take it to Johnson in Raleigh earlier this year and it has been to Flow twice and I'm going back to Flow since I have a good working relationship with them. Flow did a very good job applying felt and foam to the components we thought were the culprit(s) but with those out of the car, it's clear it's not them and something else. I am glad I removed the items I did so as to help eliminate them. By having them out and driving the car for a week, that gives me a new perspective to share with Flow on Friday that I would not otherwise have.
Old 11-23-17, 06:59 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with you 100% bclexus, I do think it's plastic on plastic (or at least that is the noise it sounds like). Since I have had everything out, I was pleased to see just about everything I could see and feel had foam from the factory. I think this just points to a deeper noise somewhere in the dash.

I did take it to Johnson in Raleigh earlier this year and it has been to Flow twice and I'm going back to Flow since I have a good working relationship with them. Flow did a very good job applying felt and foam to the components we thought were the culprit(s) but with those out of the car, it's clear it's not them and something else. I am glad I removed the items I did so as to help eliminate them. By having them out and driving the car for a week, that gives me a new perspective to share with Flow on Friday that I would not otherwise have.
I just saw another thread in which the owner said the dealer found his rubber hood stops were not adjusted properly, and they re-adjusted them. Something like that could transmit a tick/rattle type noise through the dash area. I'm just wondering if you've checked your hood for clicking/clacking (tick/rattle) at times due to looseness because the hood isn't pressured properly against the rubber stops...

Last edited by bclexus; 11-23-17 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-23-17, 10:25 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

I’ll check it later today. I drop it off at dealer tomorrow morning.
Old 11-24-17, 06:03 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Took car in this morning and rode with a tech. He was able to hear the tick loud and clear. While he was driving, he was able to isolate the noise to the instrument cluster. He pinched the left corner of it and the noise went away. At least he has something to focus on that is likely the culprit.

Fingers crossed!
Old 11-24-17, 11:37 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

GREAT NEWS!!! I think my tick has been resolved. It was the instrument cluster and surrounding trim. I picked the car up at lunch and rode with the tech again. No noise and coming back to the office, I was on several rough roads and no annoying tick!!!!!
Old 11-24-17, 12:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

GREAT NEWS!!! I think my tick has been resolved. It was the instrument cluster and surrounding trim. I picked the car up at lunch and rode with the tech again. No noise and coming back to the office, I was on several rough roads and no annoying tick!!!!!
Wonderful! That tech deserves a tip...
Old 11-24-17, 03:00 PM
RA051823
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

We have over 60k miles now on our 13' GS350 and don't have any rattles or noises from our car yet.
Old 12-07-17, 09:45 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Does your 'tick' noise remain gone, and no longer in existence?

Quick Reply: Annoying tick/rattle