Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Land Rover Defender (spy shots)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 04:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Land Rover Defender (spy shots)

Source
Old 12-01-17, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No doubt this is a true off-roader. Look at the ground clearance and those approach/departure angles. Probably going to have a choppy ride, though (by Land Rover standards) with that toy-car wheelbase.
Old 12-01-17, 07:11 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This test mule is obviously using a body from a Range Rover model that has been chopped (just behind the B-pillar). I am guessing that this will be the 2-door Defender.
Old 12-01-17, 07:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Why do they need to add this vehicle to their line up? What will this offer over their existing models?

And how dare they call that a Defender?

They made a big mistake by canning the original design and heading in an entirely new direction. Jeep and Mercedes stayed true to their roots with the Wrangler and G-Wagon and learned to build up on the existing platform while keeping them full frame and solid axles with lockers. Vehicles that can truly be impressive offroad.

This I just don't get at all.
Old 12-01-17, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
This test mule is obviously using a body from a Range Rover model that has been chopped (just behind the B-pillar). I am guessing that this will be the 2-door Defender.
Good point. Didn't really notice that at first. It does look odd between the B and C-pillars, with that tiny, unusable rear door.
Old 12-02-17, 08:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

It's a shame they would use the name "Defender" on this. Looking at rear view in the 3rd and final picture, it looks identical to the non-wrapped Rover in front of it. The classic Defender looked like nothing else in the line-up...nor did it look like anything else on the road. Loved those. Not excited to see this.
Old 12-02-17, 10:02 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

The disco 3/4 were the last of the unique Land Rovers. To bad all suv's are pretty much looking the same anymore.
Old 12-02-17, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Such tiny rear doors
Old 12-02-17, 10:49 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like Land Rover is pissing on a legendary nameplate with this new model. Looks like a 2 door Evoque with a more normal roofline.

Also some things sell well because they do stick with that original formula and refine the hell out of it. Jeep Wrangler, Benz Gelandewagen, Toyota 70 series Land Cruiser(man I wish we had that one in the states), to a lesser extent some sedans like the Camry are this way as well.
Old 12-03-17, 03:17 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Uh... well... it's sort of promising, maybe, as some kind of off-road capable 2 door SUV.... maybe...

But that is not a Land Rover Defender. I don't remember which LR executive said it but now I can see he was right... the new "Defender" would "polarize" and "disappoint purists". Visually it absolutely does.

But let's hold off on outright condemnation until this thing demonstrates that it can be taken to any locale in the world, run for a million miles or more, be easy serviced in the middle of nowhere and take ridiculous off-road abuse that only rival G-Wagens, Land Cruiser 70's and Wranglers can handle... just like the original Defender.

Oh, and it should also have a fully guttable and reconfigurable rear cargo area in the 2dr and 4dr versions plus a body that can have a custom rear cab conversion applied.

It should also have a diesel engine option and a manual gearbox option (also possible to pair together on the order sheet) and the option of four wheel lockers (air lockers, even).

If whatever this thing in the pictures is can do all of that and probably more that I am forgetting... then maybe it is a "Defender" like its predecessor.

Land Rover should have wise people on this project. If they do, they should be fully aware of how crucial it is that this model be made to a standard of capability, durability, ease of repair and customizability deep into the aftermarket such that it cannot be allowed to fail.

So far, strike one is the looks. They've got two strikes left so they'd better make them both hits.
Old 12-03-17, 01:10 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Uh... well... it's sort of promising, maybe, as some kind of off-road capable 2 door SUV.... maybe...

But that is not a Land Rover Defender. I don't remember which LR executive said it but now I can see he was right... the new "Defender" would "polarize" and "disappoint purists". Visually it absolutely does.

But let's hold off on outright condemnation until this thing demonstrates that it can be taken to any locale in the world, run for a million miles or more, be easy serviced in the middle of nowhere and take ridiculous off-road abuse that only rival G-Wagens, Land Cruiser 70's and Wranglers can handle... just like the original Defender.

Oh, and it should also have a fully guttable and reconfigurable rear cargo area in the 2dr and 4dr versions plus a body that can have a custom rear cab conversion applied.

It should also have a diesel engine option and a manual gearbox option (also possible to pair together on the order sheet) and the option of four wheel lockers (air lockers, even).

If whatever this thing in the pictures is can do all of that and probably more that I am forgetting... then maybe it is a "Defender" like its predecessor.

Land Rover should have wise people on this project. If they do, they should be fully aware of how crucial it is that this model be made to a standard of capability, durability, ease of repair and customizability deep into the aftermarket such that it cannot be allowed to fail.

So far, strike one is the looks. They've got two strikes left so they'd better make them both hits.
This is NOT what the new Land Rover Defender will look like. It is just a test mule to test the new chassis, using an obviously chopped version of SOME OTHER Land Rover model.

We do not know what the next Defender model will look like from this test mule (other than the fact there will be a short wheelbase 2-door model).
Old 12-03-17, 05:28 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That mule has a chopped out Range Rover body on the test mule. That's why it looks so out of proportion. But aside from a handful of sheep farmers in Scotland and New Zealand driving around the rainy countryside, you rarely see these in N.A. I saw one a few years ago and it was just a shiny tricked out hobby truck.

Apparently the new one has been in a long development process and I wouldn't be surprised if it does end up looking like a totally different vehicle from the previous series which was positively ancient in terms of its styling. Yeah, yeah tradition and all that, but JLR is looking for newer younger customers, who don't know anything about the old Defender. Even the Wrangler has evolved its looks.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-ro...-date-pictures

Land Rover has teased out Defender concepts over the years to test consumer reactions going back to 2011. And certainly bloggers have rendered various versions of what it might look like.

Old 12-04-17, 10:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like the stupid Toyota FJ reincarnated.
Old 12-05-17, 12:06 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Honestly after browsing for a moment by Land Rover's booth at the LAAS (I saw the spy shots in this thread the day before) I wasn't very enthused. Then I walked by the very small display showing off the Bollinger B1 EV 4x4. That thing will be very expensive but boy did they ever get the classic off-road utility vehicle formula right. It's a huge middle finger to the rounded features of current futurist off-roader styling. The B1 is a Defender-sized box on wheels. Though I am guessing that they can get away with their design because it will be a low volume (500 per year max or less?) model costing well in excess of what a new Defender will run. A year or two ago small quantity niche manufacturers were allowed to be exempt from Federal safety standards so long as they conformed the engine to whatever emissions limits are mandated for that production year.

Sulu and MattyG, here's hoping you are both right that the final version will look much better than that test mule. Although I do like the compact 2-door / clipped rear / long hood formula of that mule... that in particular is not yet a Defender.
Old 12-05-17, 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Looks like the stupid Toyota FJ reincarnated.

Not sure how you come up with that. The FJ was an attempt to return to retro 1960s styling (the 60s-vintage Land Cruiser). This new Defender (assuming the last images are correct), thou with somewhat retro shoe-box styling in back, has strong styling-ties, up front, to much newer versions of the Range Rover.

Quick Reply: Land Rover Defender (spy shots)