LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls430 engine cover on ls400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-17, 08:01 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Ls430 engine cover on ls400?

A few upgrades between1998-2000 VVTi LS400 and 2001-2006 LS430, several of which I adopted to the 1999 LS400; postings on Alternator and water inlet housing.

The LS430 engine cover suggests an upgrade from an appearance, intake cooling and noise attenuation perspective.

It would appear mounting brackets would have to be changed and left valve cover has a separate oil filller neck.

Easy enough.

So my question is whether anyone has tried this swap, or can tell me whether the cover will fit around the stock LS400 air intake damper assembly and drive by wire throttle body.

1998-2000 LS400 engine cover
2001-2006 LS430 engine cover.
Old 12-04-17, 11:28 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

wont work, bolt placed in different location
Old 12-05-17, 06:13 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lextout
wont work, bolt placed in different location
Just as the covers are differemt, the brackets mounting the cover to the intake manifold differ between 1998-2000 LS400 and LS430.

The bracket mounting holes on the intake appear similar ...both intakes share same P.N.

The question for anyone who knows is, upon swapping out brackets, whether the LS430 cover will fit properly.

One of the LS400 engine cover brackets also holds throttle cable....and the LS430 does not have a throttle cable, so possibly bracket would require modification.

Last edited by YODAONE; 12-05-17 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-07-17, 12:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

9.9/10 not worth the effort. If you want to do it for aesthetics but there's literally no power or response to be gained from the cover.

If you're able to make/modify brackets this should take literally no time to do.
Old 12-07-17, 04:38 PM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

I'm with PureDrifter on this one. I have a '99 400 and an '06 430 but I haven't taken the time to investigate this. You could prob source 430 style brackets from a scrap yard but even if it did fit I don't see any benefit whatsoever. Unless you REALLY like the look of the 430 cover...
Old 12-07-17, 08:18 PM
Yamae

Received 885 Likes on 667 Posts

Why don't you simply remove the engine cover.
I don't use it at all. That would be better than to use it when you compare the temperature. As I measured the top parts of the engine using a infrared temperature meter, I got seveal to 10 degrees C lower reading results. May be better than to use the DEI heat barrier at bottom of coil valley.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ion-coils.html

Some people said, " It would be noisier without the cover". But I don't notice any difference of the engine noise levels in the cabin.
The following users liked this post:
JonnyO78 (04-10-19)
Old 12-07-17, 09:21 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae
Why don't you simply remove the engine cover.
I don't use it at all. That would be better than to use it when you compare the temperature. As I measured the top parts of the engine using a infrared temperature meter, I got seveal to 10 degrees C lower reading results. May be better than to use the DEI heat barrier at bottom of coil valley.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ion-coils.html

Some people said, " It would be noisier without the cover". But I don't notice any difference of the engine noise levels in the cabin.
No question the LS430 cover looks better.

I do believe even the LS400 cover helps with regards to injector noise...

If anyone noticed...the 4 rear fuel injectors are not fully covered by the engine cover, but have foam dampening jackets, while the front fuel injectors do not....

As I look at the evolution of the LS series, it appears increased engine cover coverage area.

I think newer models have engine covers that are more functional...every bit helps with noisy direct injection fuel injectors...

I think the engine cover is blocking primarily injector noise.
Old 12-08-17, 05:10 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

New cars have more engine covers because the manufacturers want average owners deterred from touching the engines/wrenching themselves. Liability trend along with making things look "neat", as well as slightly better airflow management.

The question of which looks better is purely subjective. I'm fine with no cover as well as the oem LS400 cover.
Old 12-08-17, 07:32 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
New cars have more engine covers because the manufacturers want average owners deterred from touching the engines/wrenching themselves. Liability trend along with making things look "neat", as well as slightly better airflow management.

The question of which looks better is purely subjective. I'm fine with no cover as well as the oem LS400 cover.
Here:

"Sound insulation added to engine decorative cover"
Old 12-29-18, 07:53 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Aquired ls430 engine cover

Located a decent LS430 engine cover and mounting brackets from wrecking yard.

The LS430 cover is heavier, employs more sound absorbing/damping materials and performs as a sound barrier because it does not employ a large cutout above noisy intake runners.

The intake manifolds on 1998-2000 LS400 and 2001-2006 LS430 are identical.

Tapped mounting bosses for brackets appear identical....but LS400 and LS430 engine cover mounting brackets are different.

The LS430 left valve cover differs from the LS400's in that it employs a taller oil filler neck...it appears the LS430 cover will fit however.

LS430 rear mounting brackets attach the cover via damping rubber ball ends in lieau of studs (bracket) and spring clips (on cover) Slight fabrication of the LS430 brackets may be required to clear the LS400 water control valve hose bracket (at rear intake manifold).and at the throttle cable bracket.

The LS400 cover has a clearance cutout for the water control valve hose...more than necessary, while the LS430 does not, but easy enough to open up with a hole saw.

Images of both covers and LS430 brackets.

Backside of LS400 engine cover depicting sound absorbing and damping material. The hole in the middle allows engine noise into engine compartment...better to contain or dampen noise or vibration closer to source.

Backside of LS430 engine cover more fully employs sound absorbing material and damping material.

Topsides of LS400 and LS430 engine covers.... Haven't decided whether to leave raised 4.3 and 3UZ-FE on cover. LS430 cover does away with rear mounting holes due to spring clip and ball mounting. The front cover mounting holes are not cockeyed as is the LS400

LS430 engine cover mounting brackets (rear).employ rubber ball ends for damping.

Close up of spring clip mounting assembly

It appears Toyota improved the sound containment capabilities of the LS430 engine cover....

Last edited by YODAONE; 12-29-18 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 02:51 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Ls430 engine cover installed...

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Located a decent LS430 engine cover and mounting brackets from wrecking yard.

The LS430 cover is heavier, employs more sound absorbing/damping materials and performs as a sound barrier because it does not employ a large cutout above noisy intake runners.

The intake manifolds on 1998-2000 LS400 and 2001-2006 LS430 are identical.

Tapped mounting bosses for brackets appear identical....but LS400 and LS430 engine cover mounting brackets are different.

The LS430 left valve cover differs from the LS400's in that it employs a taller oil filler neck...it appears the LS430 cover will fit however.

LS430 rear mounting brackets attach the cover via damping rubber ball ends in lieau of studs (bracket) and spring clips (on cover) Slight fabrication of the LS430 brackets may be required to clear the LS400 water control valve hose bracket (at rear intake manifold).and at the throttle cable bracket.

The LS400 cover has a clearance cutout for the water control valve hose...more than necessary, while the LS430 does not, but easy enough to open up with a hole saw.

Images of both covers and LS430 brackets.

Backside of LS400 engine cover depicting sound absorbing and damping material. The hole in the middle allows engine noise into engine compartment...better to contain or dampen noise or vibration closer to source.

Backside of LS430 engine cover more fully employs sound absorbing material and damping material.

Topsides of LS400 and LS430 engine covers.... Haven't decided whether to leave raised 4.3 and 3UZ-FE on cover. LS430 cover does away with rear mounting holes due to spring clip and ball mounting. The front cover mounting holes are not cockeyed as is the LS400

LS430 engine cover mounting brackets (rear).employ rubber ball ends for damping.

Close up of spring clip mounting assembly

It appears Toyota improved the sound containment capabilities of the LS430 engine cover....

Installed the LS430 cover in 1999 LS400.

Several comments from forum members suggesting removal of engine cover to promote better engine cooling/air circulation.

No question the LS400 engine cover inhibited airflow....just touching the exposed intake runners in center of cover was uncomfortably hot. (Plastic dams conform to the intake at center opening....and block airflow.)

However the LS430 engine cover is designed with space underneath to direct airflow over the top of the engine.

The install.required trimming the beak of the LS430 cover to clear the rear trailing edge of the ram air box, and the left front edge for upper radiator hose, of the LS400.

Dremel tool.worked great but the plastic tended to clog the abrasive sanding rolls and cutting wheels.

LS430 cover installed on L400. I liked the fact that the LS430 design actually allows airflow underneath, with improved sound barrier , absorbing and damping. Only 2 through hole studs are used in front. The rear mounting is bracketed rubber ball and spring clip socket.

Trimmed the front of air scoop to clear trailing edge of LS400 ram air box

Trimmed left front of LS430 cover to clear LS400 upper radiator hose..torque moves engine up and away from hose

Right profile of LS430 engine cover installed in LS400

Left profile depictimg LS400 oil filler cap. The LS430 employs an extended oil filler neck on the valve cover, See next image..

Acquired ($5).LS430 left valve cover with extended filler neck. Will install after cleaning, polishing , and replacement of spark plug tube seals.

Front left LS430 engine cover bracket installed on LS400.

Rear left Ls430 bracket (rubber ball).installed on LS400

Right front LS430.engine cover bracket installed on LS400..the LS400.combination engine cover bracket/accelerator cable mount (with stud)is left in place.

The original.right rear LS400 bracket remains in place until.the author can sort out how best to mount the LS430.bracket. also with a rubber ball that sockets into a spring clip in engine cover. The cover is quite rigid so hardly notice it.

Last edited by YODAONE; 04-07-19 at 03:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by YODAONE:
DaveGS4 (04-10-19), JonnyO78 (04-10-19)
Old 04-08-19, 06:20 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Wow, good work! I also have a 98 400 and an 05 430 but never thought they’d be even relatively interchangeable.

I will say, i currently have the engine cover off my 430 because I’m painting it a metallic silver and I notice absolutely no noise increase inside or outside the cabin whatsoever, and I’m a stickler with that stuff. Maybe I should do a decibel reading comparison with it on/off. Do you notice anything??
Old 04-09-19, 03:08 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Wow, good work! I also have a 98 400 and an 05 430 but never thought they’d be even relatively interchangeable.

I will say, i currently have the engine cover off my 430 because I’m painting it a metallic silver and I notice absolutely no noise increase inside or outside the cabin whatsoever, and I’m a stickler with that stuff. Maybe I should do a decibel reading comparison with it on/off. Do you notice anything??
Yes.

Tthe LS430 cover does not have a center cutout, so no longer hear the intake there.

The underside of the LS430 cover is more fully covered with sound absorbing material...and it is a heavier and more rigid cover..it feels like damping panels topside.

The LS430 cover dispenses with the two rear fasteners by substituting rubber ball and spring clip socket (under cover) to further dampen.

In comparison, the LS400 cover just resonates.

The LS430 cover is a more effective sound barrier/absorber...and engine vibration damping component.

It is best practice to isolate noise and, or, vibration as close to the source as possible.

With an engine as smooth and quiet as the 1UZ-FE, undistinguishable noises on other vehicles, are readily discerned on the LS400.

Our fuel injectors generate considerable noise...and am working on ways to more fully sound isolate at the source..

Once you quiet one thing, another's sound appears.

The LS430 cover design provides space underneath which directs airflow over the top of the intake manifold, instead of blocking it....so cooling is enhanced.

To put the ribbon on the package, am considering painting the silver colored portion of the cover with body color paint. and clear coat .
Mine is jade pearl.siver so won't have to endure space man silver...but first have to sort out whether Automotive touch-up brand paint is compatible with the plastic cover.

Last edited by YODAONE; 04-09-19 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 03:34 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Yes.

Tthe LS430 cover does not have a center cutout, so no longer hear the intake there.

The underside of the LS430 cover is more fully covered with sound absorbing material...and it is a heavier and more rigid cover..it feels like damping panels topside.

The LS430 cover dispenses with the two rear fasteners by substituting rubber ball and spring clip socket (under cover) to further dampen.

In comparison, the LS400 cover just resonates.

The LS430 cover is a more effective sound barrier/absorber...and engine vibration damping component.

It is best practice to isolate noise and, or, vibration as close to the source as possible.

With an engine as smooth and quiet as the 1UZ-FE, undistinguishable noises on other vehicles, are readily discerned on the LS400.

Our fuel injectors generate considerable noise...and am working on ways to more fully sound isolate at the source..

Once you quiet one thing, another's sound appears.

The LS430 cover design provides space underneath which directs airflow over the top of the intake manifold, instead of blocking it....so cooling is enhanced.

To put the ribbon on the package, am considering painting the silver colored portion of the cover with body color paint. and clear coat .
Mine is jade pearl.siver so won't have to endure space man silver...but first have to sort out whether Automotive touch-up brand paint is compatible with the plastic cover.
Cool, that’s awesome. I ordered two new fuel pulsation dampeners from Amayama last week and I’m excited to put them on to see how much quieter I can get my 430’s fuel injectors. I have measurements taken before (I.e how the car sits now) and will take measurements after installation. I’ll keep you updated
Old 04-10-19, 10:29 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Another great write-up Yoda! But can I mod the cover to fit my older non-vvti motors? I'd love to put that fancy looking cover on all of them!

Quick Reply: Ls430 engine cover on ls400?