GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Would 235 45 18 fit on a 7.5in wide rim? Rims with Noise reduction technology

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 01:45 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

After calling a couple tire shops, they advised me not to install 235/45/18 on a 7.5" wide rim. Although it is technically within the tire manufactures spec(just bare minimum), the side walls would bend in too much and this may affect the handling characteristics of the vehicle, may lead to uneven wear or compromise safety. 225/45/18 would be the proper size for the Honda rim.

The only 18x8 wheels Acura has with resonator are for the RL and MDX and unfortunately the bolt pattern is 5 x 120.

Also the Hyundai Genesis has 19" hollow spoke wheels that reduce road noise. Audi also has the hollow spoke technology.

Old 11-29-17, 08:57 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

If anyone wants to see how well the noise reduction wheels work go test drive a 2018 Honda Accord, then test driver a prior year. From what I can find the Accord doesn't have any active noise cancelling like Acuras or any other particular technology to reduce the cabin noise. So back to back you'll know for sure if it's doing anything. If anyone does this just update this post.
Old 11-30-17, 02:42 PM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, you really get that much tire noise that you're willing to go through all this? What tires are you currently running?
Old 11-30-17, 03:12 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by talltrini1
OP, you really get that much tire noise that you're willing to go through all this? What tires are you currently running?
Just Pursuit of Perfection. I already have the quietest tires you can buy, Perelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. It's a 450h with double pained laminated glass on the front doors. I added sound deadener and closed cell foam to the inside of the doors, under carpet, trunk, under rear seat, and wheel wells. Also replaced the seal on the sunroof and resealed the triangle on the door(known for wind noise). I also added felt to the inside of the b-pillar around the seat belt mechanism, also various plastic trim inside the car. You can press on any trim inside my car and nothing squeaks or rattles. I also took apart my mark levinson head unit to replace a fan that was clicking.

Last edited by peasodos; 11-30-17 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 03:34 PM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Just Pursuit of Perfection. I already have the quietest tires you can buy, Perelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. It's a 450h with double pained laminated glass on the front doors. I added sound deadener and closed cell foam to the inside of the doors, under carpet, trunk, under rear seat, and wheel wells. Also replaced the seal on the sunroof and resealed the triangle on the door(known for wind noise). I also added felt to the inside of the b-pillar around the seat belt mechanism, also various plastic trim inside the car. You can press on any trim inside my car and nothing squeaks or rattles. I also took apart my mark levinson head unit to replace a fan that was clicking.
You're definitely on a mission! Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 11-30-17, 04:05 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Mind writing up a quick tutorial on how you did the closed cell foam and what you used?

I am also in a pursuit of shutting this car up.
Old 11-30-17, 06:36 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by talltrini1
You're definitely on a mission! Good luck, and keep us posted!
I unfortunately couldn't find a GSh with the Luxury package, but I did find/install the bamboo wood steering wheel and the bamboo wood trim garnish on the rear seat vents. Recently scored a set of factory Bi-LED adaptive headlights, waiting for better weather to install them. Also installed GS-F tail lights thanks to the help of a forum member who was the first to do it.

Maybe one day i'll find an affordable set of the 18 way adjustable lux front seats in flaxen. Just have to wait for someone to crash their car and eventually get parted out on the internet.

Would have been nice to have adaptive cruise control, but some things are just not easy or cost effective to find/upgrade
Old 11-30-17, 09:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Mind writing up a quick tutorial on how you did the closed cell foam and what you used?

I am also in a pursuit of shutting this car up.
For the closed cell foam with MLV back I used ;
Stinger RKCP12 RoadKill
This stuff has a strong smell, you have to let it air out for a few days, then the smell is gone.
https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-RKCP12-RoadKill-Carpet-Pad/dp/B001TH8OC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512103771&sr=8-1&keywords=Stinger+RKCP12+Roadkill https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-RKCP12-RoadKill-Carpet-Pad/dp/B001TH8OC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512103771&sr=8-1&keywords=Stinger+RKCP12+Roadkill

For the Deadener I used Noico 80 mil:
Has no odor, can be installed right away.
Amazon Amazon

It's the same as dynamat without the exorbitant price.

I applied the deadener to the inside of the outer door skin and the Closed cell foam with MLV between the door panel and the inner door skin.
I also used this combo of Noico and RoadKill for the rest of the interior and trunk.

Inside the wheel wells I used a layer of Noico on the metal behind the fender liner.
Then a layer of Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro
It's also foam backed MLV but it's waterproof. The RoadKill is not waterproof.
https://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-Luxury-Loaded-Deadener/dp/B01NAFWT3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512104419&sr=8-1&keywords=Luxury+Liner+Pro https://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-Luxury-Loaded-Deadener/dp/B01NAFWT3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512104419&sr=8-1&keywords=Luxury+Liner+Pro
Old 12-01-17, 05:48 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool, thank you! I believe a lot of the noise to be from my tires so the metal of the inner fender will probably have to be done at some point. I also remember using a self adhesive butyl from lowes that is used to repair roofs as sound deadening back in the day....hmmm
Old 12-02-17, 03:27 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

You truly are on a mission! Did you do all of these yourself or did you have to take the help of a mechanic? Most of my noise seems to be from wind and tire/road. I do not have double pane windows and I am on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires which might not be the quietest.

I do not intend to derail this thread but IMHO, the best and most cost effective way of making any car quiet is through active noise cancellation. That is because of two reasons: (1) noise can be from many different sources (engine, tire/road, wind, etc.) and this technology can take care of all of them, and (2) it does not increase the weight of the vehicle. I hope auto manufacturers are working to perfect this technology. I wish there was a mod to install this technology in our cars.
Old 12-03-17, 11:44 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bb700092
You truly are on a mission! Did you do all of these yourself or did you have to take the help of a mechanic? Most of my noise seems to be from wind and tire/road. I do not have double pane windows and I am on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires which might not be the quietest.

I do not intend to derail this thread but IMHO, the best and most cost effective way of making any car quiet is through active noise cancellation. That is because of two reasons: (1) noise can be from many different sources (engine, tire/road, wind, etc.) and this technology can take care of all of them, and (2) it does not increase the weight of the vehicle. I hope auto manufacturers are working to perfect this technology. I wish there was a mod to install this technology in our cars.

I do all the work myself. I have a digital copy of the shop manual for our car so I know were all the clips and bolts are. Our cars are not hard to take apart. For example the door panel is just 2 screws and a bunch of clips.

Apparently the GSF has Active Sound Control, but it does the opposite enhances the engine and exhaust noise inside the car.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-04-17 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-13-18, 08:12 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

New ES will have the Noise reduction wheels 18 x 8 and same bolt pattern as the 4GS!

Watch this video from 7:50 to see how this technology actually works: