RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 03:21 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default headlight upgrade

Hi, im looking to upgrade my headlights, low beam to be more specific, the stock headlights arent illuminating as well as id like them to. Which would you recommend to install for the low beams, which ones better, more reliable? Ive converted my fog lights to HID because stocks weren't good, but with headlights i have not dealt yet.

TIA
Old 12-05-17, 06:20 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,161 Likes on 990 Posts

Depends what headlights you have now...If just H11 bulbs then I recommend the H11 to H9 conversion which is very easy with the Bulb Zilla harness adapter. An internet search will provide all you need to know as it is quite a popular upgrade among many vehicles. If you have HID I doubt you can do much.
Old 12-08-17, 07:02 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i dont have the HIDs thats why i wanna upgrade because regular bulbs suck outside the city, you can see like 10-15 feet max ahead and thats about it, rainy weather - forget about it. Tueday i had to drive all the way up to Buffalo and then back with a stop at Albany, those highways have 0 lights and it was raining badly, i couldnt see much ahead and i didnt wanna be a d** with high beams blinding people on the opposite side, so was quite challenging drive. What is this conversion youre talking about, i just need something brighter that lights up the road better without blinding other people. On my 2010 i had the AFS HID, no problems, bright enough to see the road good in all conditions

Last edited by Yurka; 12-08-17 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 08:04 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

If you do HID conversion from OEM halogens, then please make sure you get the proper projector headlight housing to throw the HID light forward properly without blinding oncoming driver's. Generally HID with the proper self leveling headlight housing is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. IF you go OEM, it can cost something like $1500 each side.

Lower cost solutions are:

1. Assuming you have a "projector headlight housing"...... Get good LED bulbs with high enough lumens output. If you want to do the same for the fog lights, then go ahead too. Cost around $59 for a pair. I've done this for my RX450h and LX570. BOTH CAME OEM HID's, but the fogs were halogens. So I changed the fogs to LEDs. Worked great!!! My CT200h came OEM halogens all lights in the front. So I replaced low beams and fogs with LEDs. Works very well too. I would not go any higher than 6500K temperature. Any higher, you are in the blue ricer boy range. I think on my RX450h, LX570, and the CT200h got 4500K temperature on it's OEM HIDs and OEM LED RUNNING LIGHTS. Most after market LEDs are in the 6500K temperature which appears VERY VERY WHITE. I don't see any blue in mine. But if you take pictures with your cellphone at the right angles there is a hint of blue.

2. Install extra "driving lights". I'm about to do this on my RV. Since I don't want to drill any extra holes on my front bumper. And the fact that my RV DOES NOT HAVE A PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT HOUSING. If I just stick LED bulbs in, then it will blind oncoming drivers. I'm using the following. Ordered from eBay for $59 total. Remove the old license plate bracket in the front and put this new license plate bracket with LED lights built in on to the original holes and connect the wires with its own circuit protection. Make sure to aim the light properly (down and straight forward to the road) and screw it down tightly so not to blind oncoming drivers. I know I know it says "for off road use only"....... And yes, I'm taking my RV "off road" to some camp resort!!! This my solution since I did not want to mess with the OEM headlights and the new license plate bracket light is totally reversible in about ten minutes. See link:.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F331753121545
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Yurka
i dont have the HIDs thats why i wanna upgrade because regular bulbs suck outside the city, you can see like 10-15 feet max ahead and thats about it, rainy weather - forget about it. Tueday i had to drive all the way up to Buffalo and then back with a stop at Albany, those highways have 0 lights and it was raining badly, i couldnt see much ahead and i didnt wanna be a d** with high beams blinding people on the opposite side, so was quite challenging drive. What is this conversion youre talking about, i just need something brighter that lights up the road better without blinding other people. On my 2010 i had the AFS HID, no problems, bright enough to see the road good in all conditions

Last edited by lexusrus; 12-08-17 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-09-17, 01:34 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
2. Install extra "driving lights". I'm about to do this on my RV. Since I don't want to drill any extra holes on my front bumper. And the fact that my RV DOES NOT HAVE A PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT HOUSING. If I just stick LED bulbs in, then it will blind oncoming drivers. I'm using the following. Ordered from eBay for $59 total. Remove the old license plate bracket in the front and put this new license plate bracket with LED lights built in on to the original holes and connect the wires with its own circuit protection. Make sure to aim the light properly (down and straight forward to the road) and screw it down tightly so not to blind oncoming drivers. I know I know it says "for off road use only"....... And yes, I'm taking my RV "off road" to some camp resort!!! This my solution since I did not want to mess with the OEM headlights and the new license plate bracket light is totally reversible in about ten minutes. See link:.
​​​​​​
If going which extra lights, it could be wise to consider using front fog light switch to trigger the extra low beams/working light.
As installing the cables into cabin is a bit hassle. Of course if it's legally possible to do the connection.
For this installation I would prefer lights approved for high beams and aiming them lower than designed.
As normal worklight light pattern is more scattered than high beam pattern and can interfere more oncoming traffic.

Example of led high beam bar, it won't ruin the looks.
Attached Thumbnails headlight upgrade-highbeam-led.jpg  
Old 12-09-17, 02:05 PM
Clutchless

Take a look around at Xenon Depot as they are a CL vendor and have excellent products according to several members reviews I have read. http://www.xenondepot.com/

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-automo...lbs-s/1047.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=h11+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

This is the bulb-zilla kit which lets you plug and play the conversion with only needing to cut one metal tab off the H9 bulb which takes about a minute http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/bu.../bulb-kits.htm

However the H9s do not last that long needing yearly replacement but are only about $7 a bulb

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-09-17 at 02:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clutchless:
BenRX (12-11-17), XenonDepot (12-14-17)
Old 12-10-17, 11:15 PM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Philips X-tremeVision LED
http://a.co/2NQV4SH
Actually it is for fog light, but some reviews said use it as low beam and are satisfied. You may return it if you don't like it when order from "sold by Amazon".

Last edited by roy7777; 12-10-17 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 08:05 AM
LONGSHORE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed this kit in our 450h. I optioned the Phillips 4300K bulb and both my wife and I are extremely pleased with the output. What an unbelievable upgrade! This is a real quality product. easy install too!

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Ki...D-p/xt-h11.htm

Mikey
The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (12-14-17)
Old 12-13-17, 01:04 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LONGSHORE
I installed this kit in our 450h. I optioned the Phillips 4300K bulb and both my wife and I are extremely pleased with the output. What an unbelievable upgrade! This is a real quality product. easy install too!

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Ki...D-p/xt-h11.htm
I have a 450h also. I thought our cars came with Xenon HID bulbs to begin with....... Is the part above LED light? How is it different than the stock HID bulb?
Old 12-13-17, 02:51 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I have a 450h also. I thought our cars came with Xenon HID bulbs to begin with....... Is the part above LED light? How is it different than the stock HID bulb?
Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make HID and LED headlights an option for some Lexus vehicles.
Got lots of RX owners by surprise when they brought home a halogen-equipped vehicle.
I made sure mine had the stand-alone HID option of $515
Neither Comfort nor Premium packages included headlights upgrade:
Comfort Package Includes: Rain-Sensing Wipers and
Wipers, Driver/Passenger Heated & Ventilated Seats
$825.00
Premium Package Includes: Leather Trim Interior, One-
Touch Open/Close Moonroof, Power-folding Electrochromic
Heated Outside Mirrors, Driver's Seat/Steering/Mirror
Memory-3 settings, Roof rails
$2,260.00
Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlamps
$515.00
Old 12-13-17, 03:56 PM
LONGSHORE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make HID and LED headlights an option for some Lexus vehicles.
Got lots of RX owners by surprise when they brought home a halogen-equipped vehicle.
I made sure mine had the stand-alone HID option of $515
Neither Comfort nor Premium packages included headlights upgrade:
Comfort Package Includes: Rain-Sensing Wipers and
Wipers, Driver/Passenger Heated & Ventilated Seats
$825.00
Premium Package Includes: Leather Trim Interior, One-
Touch Open/Close Moonroof, Power-folding Electrochromic
Heated Outside Mirrors, Driver's Seat/Steering/Mirror
Memory-3 settings, Roof rails
$2,260.00
Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlamps
$515.00
Unfortunately, I'm one of those owners who was surprised that my RX was equipped with halogen headlights.

MIKEY
Old 12-13-17, 09:53 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Oh. In that case, I don't think I have Xenon HID lamps. My color is about 2700 Kalvins. Xenons should be around 5000K or so, correct? More white than yellow, correct?

this is super odd. my 2001 RX had Xenon HID lamps. After 12 years, they decided to downgrade????
Old 12-14-17, 06:17 AM
Clutchless

The stock HID lights are not 5000K, more like 4300K. Depending on your model year, most of the HID lights turn when you turn the steering wheel a certain amount. This is one of my favorite features. I think they may have stopped it in 2013 or so.
Old 12-14-17, 07:51 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

can you check this out? I can't tell if I have Xenon HIDs? While you can clearly make out the filament on the high beams (halogen bulb), it's not so clear on the low beams. Can you tell if this is regular halogen or HIDs?

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/o...0/IMG_7085.jpg
Attached Thumbnails headlight upgrade-img_7085.jpg  

Last edited by MellonC00; 12-14-17 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-14-17, 09:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
can you check this out? I can't tell if I have Xenon HIDs? While you can clearly make out the filament on the high beams (halogen bulb), it's not so clear on the low beams. Can you tell if this is regular halogen or HIDs?

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/o...0/IMG_7085.jpg
It's easy to test if you have HIDs - they will be self-leveling.
When it is dark out, turn the headlights on. Then turn the car on.
You will see the light beam go up and down as it initializes if you have HIDs (or LEDs).
Halogens do not have self-leveling and will not go through that process.

Quick Reply: headlight upgrade